• “The Secret Life of Pets”
  • “Sing”
  • “Snowtime!”
  • “Storks”
  • “Trolls”
  • “25 April”
  • “Your Name.”
  • “Zootopia”

A few of these films, like Moana (opens November 23) and Sing (opens December 21), haven't come out yet, of course. The Academy's animation branch is well-known for preferring some of the arthousier films out there, so I'm very curious to see which five films get the nod this year.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 3 weeks later...

The Annie Award nominees (with the films I have seen in bold):

11 nominations in 10 categories:

• Zootopia -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Writing, Voice Acting (Jason Bateman), Character Design, Character Animation (x2), Production Design, Storyboarding, Animated Effects, Editing

10 nominations:

• Kubo and the Two Strings -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Writing, Voice Acting (Art Parkinson), Character Design, Character Animation, Production Design, Storyboarding, Animated Effects, Editing

6 nominations:

• Moana -- Best Animated Feature, Voice Acting (Auli'i Cravalho), Character Design, Storyboarding, Animated Effects, Editing

5 nominations:

• The Red Turtle -- Best Animated INDEPENDENT Feature, Directing, Writing, Animated Effects, Music

4 nominations:

• Kung Fu Panda 3 -- Best Animated Feature, Character Animation, Production Design, Animated Effects
  • Trolls -- Voice Acting (Zooey Deschanel), Character Design, Production Design, Storyboarding

3 nominations:

• Finding Dory -- Best Animated Feature, Character Animation, Storyboarding
  • My Life as a Zucchini -- Best Animated INDEPENDENT Feature, Directing, Writing

2 nominations:

• The Little Prince -- Production Design, Music
  • The Secret Life of Pets -- Character Design, Music
  • Your Name -- Best Animated INDEPENDENT Feature, Directing

1 nomination:

• April and the Extraordinary World -- Editing
  • Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders -- Music
  • Long Way North -- Best Animated INDEPENDENT Feature
  • Miss Hokusai -- Best Animated INDEPENDENT Feature
  • Sausage Party -- Editing
  • Sing -- Music
  • Storks -- Voice Acting (Katie Crown)

Every film with an Annie nomination is on the list of eligible Oscar nominees except for Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders. Ten of the twenty-seven Oscar contenders were not nominated for any Annie Awards at all.

The Annie Award winners will be announced February 4.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 1 month later...

The American Cinema Editors have announced their nominees for the Eddie Awards:

BEST EDITED ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:

Kubo and the Two Strings
Moana
Zootopia

The winner will be announced January 27.

Note: the three Eddie nominees match the three films that got the most nominations from the Annie Awards.

The Cinema Audio Society has announced its nominees in this category:

• Finding Dory
  • Kubo and the Two Strings
  • Moana
  • The Secret Life of Pets
  • Zootopia

The winner will be announced February 18.

The Visual Effects Society has announced its nominees:

Outstanding Visual Effects in an Animated Feature

• Finding Dory
  • Moana
  • The Little Prince
  • Zootopia

Outstanding Animated Performance in an Animated Feature

• Finding Dory; Hank
  • Kubo and the Two Strings; Kubo
  • Kubo and the Two Strings; Monkey
  • Moana; The Mighty Maui

Outstanding Created Environment in an Animated Feature

• Finding Dory; Open Ocean Exhibit
  • Kubo and the Two Strings; Hanzo's Fortress
  • Kubo and the Two Strings; Waves
  • Moana; Motonui Island

Outstanding Effects Simulations in an Animated Feature

• Finding Dory
  • Kubo and the Two Strings; Water
  • Moana
  • Zootopia

So...

• Kubo and the Two Strings has 6 nominations in 4 categories,
  • Finding Dory and Moana have 4 nominations each,
  • Zootopia has 2 nominations, and
  • The Little Prince has 1 nomination.

It's worth noting that Kubo and the Two Strings is also on the Oscar shortlist for the Visual Effects award, along with nine live-action films. The visual-effects community seems to be very taken by this film.

The winners will be announced February 7.

The Producers Guild Awards have announced their nominees in this category:

• Finding Dory
  • Moana
  • Zootopia

The winner will be announced January 28.

• 2 weeks later...

The nominees for the Oscar are (with the ones I've seen in bold):

• Moana
  • My Life as a Zucchini
  • The Red Turtle
  • Zootopia

So, basically, three of the PGA nominees, with My Life as a Zucchini and The Red Turtle taking the spots that the PGA gave to Finding Dory and The Secret Life of Pets.

The Oscar nominees also include: the four films that had the most Annie nominations (plus My Life as a Zucchini, which has a few Annie nominations but is not in the top five); all three of the Eddie nominees; three of the five Cinema Audio Society nominees; and three of the five films that have Visual Effects Society nominations.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

The Motion Picture Sound Editors have nominated:

• Finding Dory
  • The Little Prince
  • Moana
  • The Red Turtle
  • Sing
  • Zootopia

So, four Oscar nominees (everything but My Life as a Zucchini) and three non-Oscar nominees (Finding Dory, The Little Prince, Sing).

The winner will be announced February 19.

On 1/3/2017 at 4:08 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The American Cinema Editors have announced their nominees for the Eddie Awards:

BEST EDITED ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:

Kubo and the Two Strings
Moana
Zootopia

The winner will be announced January 27.

And the winner is... Zootopia.

On 1/10/2017 at 9:59 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Producers Guild Awards have announced their nominees in this category:

• Finding Dory
  • Moana
  • Zootopia

The winner will be announced January 28.

And the winner is... Zootopia.

On 11/28/2016 at 10:32 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Annie Award nominees (with the films I have seen in bold):

11 nominations in 10 categories:

• Zootopia -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Writing, Voice Acting (Jason Bateman), Character Design, Character Animation (x2), Production Design, Storyboarding, Animated Effects, Editing

10 nominations:

• Kubo and the Two Strings -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Writing, Voice Acting (Art Parkinson), Character Design, Character Animation, Production Design, Storyboarding, Animated Effects, Editing

6 nominations:

• Moana -- Best Animated Feature, Voice Acting (Auli'i Cravalho), Character Design, Storyboarding, Animated Effects, Editing

5 nominations:

• The Red Turtle -- Best Animated INDEPENDENT Feature, Directing, Writing, Animated Effects, Music

4 nominations:

• Kung Fu Panda 3 -- Best Animated Feature, Character Animation, Production Design, Animated Effects
  • Trolls -- Voice Acting (Zooey Deschanel), Character Design, Production Design, Storyboarding

3 nominations:

• Finding Dory -- Best Animated Feature, Character Animation, Storyboarding
  • My Life as a Zucchini -- Best Animated INDEPENDENT Feature, Directing, Writing

2 nominations:

• The Little Prince -- Production Design, Music
  • The Secret Life of Pets -- Character Design, Music
  • Your Name -- Best Animated INDEPENDENT Feature, Directing

1 nomination:

• April and the Extraordinary World -- Editing
  • Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders -- Music
  • Long Way North -- Best Animated INDEPENDENT Feature
  • Miss Hokusai -- Best Animated INDEPENDENT Feature
  • Sausage Party -- Editing
  • Sing -- Music
  • Storks -- Voice Acting (Katie Crown)

Every film with an Annie nomination is on the list of eligible Oscar nominees except for Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders. Ten of the twenty-seven Oscar contenders were not nominated for any Annie Awards at all.

The Annie Award winners will be announced February 4.

And the winners are...

• Zootopia -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Writing, Voice Acting (tied with Moana), Character Design, Storyboarding
  • Kubo and the Two Strings -- Production Design, Character Animation, Editing
  • Moana -- Voice Acting (tied with Zootopia), Animated Effects
  • The Little Prince -- Music
  • The Red Turtle -- Best Animated INDEPENDENT Feature

So basically, four of the Oscar nominees (all but My Life as a Zucchini) won at least one Annie award, plus The Little Prince won one too.

On 1/10/2017 at 9:46 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Visual Effects Society has announced its nominees . . .

• Kubo and the Two Strings has 6 nominations in 4 categories,
  • Finding Dory and Moana have 4 nominations each,
  • Zootopia has 2 nominations, and
  • The Little Prince has 1 nomination.

It's worth noting that Kubo and the Two Strings is also on the Oscar shortlist for the Visual Effects award, along with nine live-action films. The visual-effects community seems to be very taken by this film.

The winners will be announced February 7.

And the winners are...

• 2 awards for Moana (Created Environment, Effects Simulations)
  • 1 award each for Kubo and the Two Strings (Visual Effects) and Finding Dory (Animated Performance)

Interestingly, the VES may end up being the *only* guild that nominated Zootopia for something but never gave it any awards.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2017 at 7:30 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Cinema Audio Society has announced its nominees in this category:

• Finding Dory
  • Moana
  • Zootopia

The winner will be announced February 18.

And the winner is... Finding Dory, which is not nominated for the Oscar.

On 1/28/2017 at 1:50 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Motion Picture Sound Editors have nominated:

• Finding Dory
  • The Little Prince
  • Moana
  • The Red Turtle
  • Sing
  • Zootopia

So, four Oscar nominees (everything but My Life as a Zucchini) and three non-Oscar nominees (Finding Dory, The Little Prince, Sing).

The winner will be announced February 19.

And the winner is... Moana.