Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

The Beguiled

Good heavens. That's what they call "a departure."

NBooth   

For comparison's sake, here's the trailer to the Clint Eastwood movie. Both films are apparently adaptations of a novel called A Painted Devil:

Sofia Coppola named Best Director at Cannes for The Beguiled

FYI for Los Angeles area folks, the New Beverly Cinema will be screening both versions of The Beguiled on June 14th.  Sofia Coppola is tentatively scheduled for a Q&A between screenings.  Tickets go on sale June 4th @ 12:00pm and, if like other events such as this at the New Bev, will probably be sold out by 12:05.

More info here.

FWIW, my review: http://1morefilmblog.com/2017/06/27/the-beguiled-coppola-2017/

The speed and ease with which the stated principles the women live by buckle beneath the weight of the no longer avoidable sexual temptation is the most significant difference between the culture of The Beguiled and that of Wonder Woman. Whether that makes Coppola’s film more cynical, more realistic, more mature, or some combination of all three is a question that male critics might approach pontificating about with caution. I tend to think that The Beguiled has a pretty dim view of women, though I’m certainly willing to be talked down from that ledge if my male perspective is blinding me to some message besides just that the so-called fairer sex is as venal its male counterpart.

phlox   

I just wish filmmakers would not get Virginia mixed up with the deep south, the dark "Southern Gothic" atmosphere....the scenes with giant live oaks and Spanish moss are from a different region and climate (it was shot near New Orleans).  The film was beautiful to watch though, a compelling story.

[Spoilers]

The fact that the soldier's wound didn't get infected, and that the mushrooms killed him almost immediately, made the film closer to a fairy tale, in my eyes.

Edited by phlox

I love Joel Mayward's note that this is a film about "the male gauze."

For what it's worth, here's my review.