Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

I Am Not Your Negro

Andrew   

I don't tout my work here as often as I used to, but this is the best new film I've seen in almost a year; a perfect meshing of screenwriting, visual, musical, editing, intellectual and emotional content.  My full review:  http://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/2017/02/not-negro-delivers-unforgettable-look-black-american-experience/

Andrew   

Thanks!  I esteemed this movie (and Baldwin's writing) so highly that I went out and bought the screenplay yesterday, something I only do a couple of times a year.

Edited by Andrew

M. Leary   

Great review, Andrew. I wrote a paragraph or so on how this wonderful documentary connects to all that great black cinema around Burnett in LA in the 60s and 70s. There are a lot of similarities to dig into.

Just caught this last night.  It's streaming on Amazon Prime.  If you haven't seen this, I can't recommend it highly enough.  I'm in the marketing industry, and I'm sure I've had conversations showing clients/brands the buying power of the African-American market, and when that old footage pitching the market growth of the Negro consumer popped up it really hit home.  I think the Baldwin of this film would argue that we're all commodities and profit centers for somebody but making the tie back to the slave auction advertisement was a powerful bit of editing to illustrate that specific commodification of the black man and woman.