Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

All Saints

So, I created the film discussion guide accompanying All Saints, and I saw an early version of the film. (I had this opportunity with The Giver as well.)

Update: The above post I wrote is somewhat vague. I didn't write my reflection on this film here as it's unclear to me as to whether I'm allowed to share/post reviews or thoughts on the film yet. So I'll just leave it at "I have seen this film and wrote a discussion guide about it."

Edited by Joel Mayward

BethR   

Saw it with my dad a couple weeks ago. It's not GREAT FILM-MAKING, but a serviceable movie about decent people doing the right thing(s) in obedience to the Great Commandments. There's not a lot of gospel drum-beating. Perhaps because it is based on reality, the characters are confronted with some serious questions about theodicy...and the answers are not miraculous. Also, surprisingly, Episcopalians FTW ;)

Joel Mayward, can we find your discussion guide online? I think since the movie has been released in theaters, reviews or thoughts are acceptable.

Edited by BethR

14 hours ago, BethR said:

Joel Mayward, can we find your discussion guide online?

It's available for free download at the film's website under "Resources." Regarding my thoughts and a review, I agree with your assessment, Beth--it's not great film-making, and it's all in service of the heartwarming story. I think Corbett is a bit miscast; the role needs someone with a bit more East Coast competitive/driven personality, and Corbett just comes across as too nice, IMO. But the real-life story is quite remarkable and inspiring. As a pastor myself, I found Corbett's struggles relatable. And I honestly didn't know where the film would go or how it would end, which is a strength for a faith-based film. So, I'm mostly positive on it.