Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Justin Hanvey

The Shape of Water

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Although one could argue Del Toro hasn't made a great movie since Pan's Labyrinth (Crimson Peak was good, but kinda fell apart in its last act) The Shape of Water looks like a nice return to form, and since it reunites Del Toro and Doug Jones I'm truly excited to see it. Actually now that I remember Jones was also in Crimson Peak as the ghosts, honestly the best parts of that film.

The trailer may give away more than you'd like to know, so just a short summary of the story. "In 1963, in a hidden, high-security government laboratory where she works, lonely Elisa is trapped in a life of silence and isolation. Elisa's life is changed forever when she and co-worker Zelda discover a secret classified experiment," Doug Jones plays the experiment, a very Abe-Sapien like underwater creature who Elisa bonds with. Sally Hawkins is Elisa, Michael Shannon is the head of the laboratory, Michael Stuhlbarg is a doctor, and Octavia Spencer plays Elisa's friend Zelda.

A great cast, and looks like will be a good movie.

Edited by Justin Hanvey

Looks interesting. Great cast. I feel that this may make a kind of companion Gothic romance with CRIMSON PEAK (which I really liked).

23 hours ago, Justin Hanvey said:

one could argue Del Toro hasn't made a great movie since Pan's Labyrinth

HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY? I kind of adore PACIFIC RIM.

Posted (edited)

Yeah I'd forgotten about Hellboy 2 when I posted that, meant to edit. Also not sure how I completely forgot Del Toro directed Pacific Rim. Good catch.

I stand corrected.

I also intend to give Crimson Peak another try eventually, I might find I like it better on second viewing. I think my expectations were too high.

Edited by Justin Hanvey

I found that Crimson Peak improves a second time around.