Sign in to follow this  
Justin Hanvey

The Shape of Water

Although one could argue Del Toro hasn't made a great movie since Pan's Labyrinth (Crimson Peak was good, but kinda fell apart in its last act) The Shape of Water looks like a nice return to form, and since it reunites Del Toro and Doug Jones I'm truly excited to see it. Actually now that I remember Jones was also in Crimson Peak as the ghosts, honestly the best parts of that film.

The trailer may give away more than you'd like to know, so just a short summary of the story. "In 1963, in a hidden, high-security government laboratory where she works, lonely Elisa is trapped in a life of silence and isolation. Elisa's life is changed forever when she and co-worker Zelda discover a secret classified experiment," Doug Jones plays the experiment, a very Abe-Sapien like underwater creature who Elisa bonds with. Sally Hawkins is Elisa, Michael Shannon is the head of the laboratory, Michael Stuhlbarg is a doctor, and Octavia Spencer plays Elisa's friend Zelda.

A great cast, and looks like will be a good movie.

Edited by Justin Hanvey

Anders   

Looks interesting. Great cast. I feel that this may make a kind of companion Gothic romance with CRIMSON PEAK (which I really liked).

23 hours ago, Justin Hanvey said:

one could argue Del Toro hasn't made a great movie since Pan's Labyrinth

HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY? I kind of adore PACIFIC RIM.

Yeah I'd forgotten about Hellboy 2 when I posted that, meant to edit. Also not sure how I completely forgot Del Toro directed Pacific Rim. Good catch.

I stand corrected.

I also intend to give Crimson Peak another try eventually, I might find I like it better on second viewing. I think my expectations were too high.

Edited by Justin Hanvey

I found that Crimson Peak improves a second time around.

Evan C   

I found this to be quite powerful and moving.

https://catholiccinephile.wordpress.com/2017/12/23/the-shape-of-water/

Ever since seeing Pan’s Labyrinth about a decade ago, I have looked forward to seeing del Toro’s newest films. Regardless of the narrative weaknesses that often plague his screenplays, he is an astonishingly talented visual stylist, and he uses wonderfully beautiful imagery to tell his stories in a way that is inviting and mesmerizing. As an allegory about recognizing the value of everyone who has been overlooked and denied their worth, where the simplest joy filled moments are celebrated in spectacular fashion, The Shape of Water is del Toro’s best film in over a decade.

Evan C   

A very fine review, yourself, Andrew. Since del Toro placed those two Biblical stories so prominently in the film, I thought I should discuss them in my review.