Sign in to follow this  
phlox

Virginia Film Festival

Jumping off from the discussion in Ken's FilmFest 919 (2019) thread, here's the lineup for the 2019 Virginia Film Festival.

My first-look lineup never strictly holds, but I do hope to avoid the sellouts I experienced last year (a first! the festival almost always has had tickets available for the shows I want to see, and I've waited until my arrival in Charlottesville to purchase them) by buying tickets as soon as they go on sale this year. That's probably especially important, as my lineup is dense with heavy-hitter evening screenings of awards-touted titles. Those aren't what I've emphasized in years past; I'd see maybe one or two such titles, while focusing on more offbeat fare I wasn't sure would be booked in my home market of Washington, D.C. But with life changes keeping me from seeing movies with the frequency I once did and me being unable to attend the Middleburg Film Festival closer to home, I plan to use the Virginia festival to "binge watch" several high-profile awards candidates. 

My rough lineup as of this moment:

10/24: 

Frankie (or Those Who Remained)

The Kingmaker

Waves

10/25:

Forman vs. Forman

Mickey and the Bear (or Portrait of a Lady on Fire)

In Fabric

10/26:

Marriage Story

Jojo Rabbit

Parasite

10/27:

Family Romance, LLC (this one's very tentative; I don't usually attend the Sunday of the festival, and may go to a morning church service)

I Lost My Body

A Hidden Life

Bacurau (ends late for me to start my drive home, so I may bag this screening depending on what I hear from friends who see it at NYFF)

I'm a little discouraged by how few documentaries I'll be seeing at the festival this year - I enjoy seeing docs at the festival, even though many have disappointed me. 

This sounds like a good weekend. I always wish Charlottesville were a little closer (it's about five hours for me) and not quite so expensive. (Hotels and/or Airbnb are a little pricey because of the relative rural status and isolation. But I love the downtown walkway.