Sign in to follow this  
M. Leary

Marjorie Prime

M. Leary   

This latest from Almereyda is now on a few streaming services for your viewing pleasure. And it is a pleasure. I think I am the resident Almereyda fan at A&F, but Marjorie Prime is well worth a visit for those interested in cinema about marriage, memory, and a little sci-fi. 

I have really been enjoying Almereyda's recent evolution, as his films are a bit of a grab bag of the habits of some of my favorite directors. There is a lot of Resnais and Godard in this one. There are some beautiful avant garde shots scattered in between the obvious scene breaks imposed on the film by its script (it began as a play). The performances here are really captivating, especially Geena Davis - who apparently is a wonderful dramatic actor.

Almereyda is definitely onto something in his recent cinema.

Edited by M. Leary

Anders   

I really dug his last film, Experimenter, about Stanley Milgrim. The only other one I've seen is his 2000 adaptation of Hamlet with Ethan Hawke. I'll be sure to check this out, as it sounds right up my alley.

M. Leary   

It is relevant to your interests, for sure! The sci-fi elements are fairly muted, but imagine a Resnais chamber drama with a light touch of Philip K. Dick and a few crisp visual interludes.

I think this has sold me on seeing it at the Aero this weekend. There's supposed to be a Q&A with Almereyda and star Lois Smith, followed by an early performance of hers in East of Eden.