Jump to content
Evan C

A&F Top 25 Films on "Waking Up" Results

Recommended Posts

Rob Z   
On 10/26/2017 at 12:57 PM, Evan C said:

I'm going to leave Joe Vs... another 24 hours, hoping we hear from Jeremy. But if not, Rob Z asked for it first, so I'm going to give it to him, unless he offers it to you.

I'm fine if EdB wants to do that one. BUT I agree that Jeremy should really be the one to do it.  If it's just a matter of him not being online for a few days, I would favor him still having preference in the coming days even if it's on short notice for turning around the write-up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rob Z   
On 10/25/2017 at 11:22 AM, Rushmore said:

If anyone's interested in a data dump: I believe this has fewer unique films than any previous 25. Ikiru and Wings of Desire have been on every version of the top 100 (the former has always been in the top 15). The Double Life of Veronique, The Trial, Spirited Away, and The New World were on the 2011 list. Spirited Away was also on the Mercy list and The New World on the 2010 list. The Truman Show was on the 2004 and Comedy lists. Fearless was on 2004 and 2006. Punch-Drunk Love was on 2010, 2004, and Comedies. The Tree of Life was on Memory. There's no overlap with the Horror, Road, or Marriage lists.

Here's a spreadsheet with all the lists.

What a great resource!

I counted up the films out of curiosity and here is a list of each of the Top 25s with how many unique films it contains (not on Top 100s or other Top 25s) as of the present:

Horror 24

Road 11

Marriage 14

Comedy 16

Memory 13

Mercy 18

Waking Up 15

Five of the 15 unique films on the Waking Up list are from 2013-2016, well after the last Top 100, so I'm sure that helped it register as more "unique" despite lots of overlap.  Horror remains far and away the most "unique" list.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rob Z   
On 10/22/2017 at 8:17 PM, BethR said:

I’m pretty sure it was two films per director. Someone will correct me if that’s wrong, of course. This is a good list, but i’d love to see Groundhog Day and Tender Mercies make the cut.

I thought it was two directors, too, and I likewise would have left off even The Tree of Life to include Tender Mercies on this list. (By the way, Knight of Cups>Tree of Life??? How'd that happen?) Oh well, the rules make the list and not vice versa!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anodos   

And just like that it's gone... Well. This is an interesting list. Kudos to anyone who can find the uniting thread in these twenty-five. I'm a little surprised neither of my nominees (Another Woman/The Lives of Others) made it in, but maybe I didn't argue their inclusion eloquently enough. Still, I suppose it leaves me off the hook for writing blurbs, although I will step up if requested. Good luck y'all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Evan C   
15 hours ago, Anodos said:

And just like that it's gone... Well. This is an interesting list. Kudos to anyone who can find the uniting thread in these twenty-five. I'm a little surprised neither of my nominees (Another Woman/The Lives of Others) made it in, but maybe I didn't argue their inclusion eloquently enough. Still, I suppose it leaves me off the hook for writing blurbs, although I will step up if requested. Good luck y'all.

FWIW, The Lives of Others was #28. Another Woman was second to last, right ahead of The Artist.

If you want to write a blurb, I'd happily give up Pan's Labyrinth for more members to be included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EdB99   
On 10/27/2017 at 8:59 PM, Rob Z said:

I'm fine if EdB wants to do that one. BUT I agree that Jeremy should really be the one to do it.  If it's just a matter of him not being online for a few days, I would favor him still having preference in the coming days even if it's on short notice for turning around the write-up.

Thank you Rob. I hadn't read the earlier posts; I only looked at the list and asked for  Joe vs the Volcano because it wasn't crossed off. As long as you asked for it first, you keep it if Jeremy doesn't respond. But thank you again.

Edited by EdB99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anodos   
On 10/29/2017 at 1:34 AM, Evan C said:

FWIW, The Lives of Others was #28. Another Woman was second to last, right ahead of The Artist.

If you want to write a blurb, I'd happily give up Pan's Labyrinth for more members to be included.

Ah, didn't see your reply. Really surprised Another Woman was so low, but then much of the list baffles me.

Thanks for the offer of Pan's Labyrinth - I'm actually a really big fan of the film, but I think I rated it quite low for this list. I'm just not sure it fit with my idea of the criteria involved. Having said that, I'd be happy to watch it again and try my best - if you haven't already done it, that is.

I don't want to sound negative, by the way - I always appreciate something thoughtful, even if I don't agree with its conclusions. And thanks for putting in the work on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Evan C   
7 hours ago, Anodos said:

Ah, didn't see your reply. Really surprised Another Woman was so low, but then much of the list baffles me.

Thanks for the offer of Pan's Labyrinth - I'm actually a really big fan of the film, but I think I rated it quite low for this list. I'm just not sure it fit with my idea of the criteria involved. Having said that, I'd be happy to watch it again and try my best - if you haven't already done it, that is.

I don't want to sound negative, by the way - I always appreciate something thoughtful, even if I don't agree with its conclusions. And thanks for putting in the work on this.

I did write something up for Pan's Labyrinth, but I could swap it out if that meant more A&F members being included. We still need someone to do Joe Vs. The Volcano - I've tried to get in touch with Jeremy, but I've had no luck. So if it's okay with Rob and Ed, you could do that, if you rated it highly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rob Z   
6 hours ago, Evan C said:

We still need someone to do Joe Vs. The Volcano - I've tried to get in touch with Jeremy, but I've had no luck. So if it's okay with Rob and Ed, you could do that, if you rated it highly.

I have a lot on my plate right now, so, as much as I'd like to, I won't plan to do Joe Vs. the Volcano.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anodos   
On 11/12/2017 at 2:20 AM, Evan C said:

I did write something up for Pan's Labyrinth, but I could swap it out if that meant more A&F members being included. We still need someone to do Joe Vs. The Volcano - I've tried to get in touch with Jeremy, but I've had no luck. So if it's okay with Rob and Ed, you could do that, if you rated it highly.

I'm sure your Pan's Labyrinth is better than mine would be, so thanks but no thanks. I can't remember how I rated Joe Vs. The Volcano as it's so long since I've seen it, but I'll rewatch it this weekend and try to scribble something out. I think I can see my way to a blurb for that, unless the *other* EdB claims first dibs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×