Sign in to follow this  
phlox

Grantchester

phlox   

Maybe a few of you have watched this PBS series that ended in June, now on Netflix -- James Norton as the oh-so-human vicar of a British village, solving crimes with his detective friend in the early 1950’s. I guess part of the reason Norton is so convincing is that he excelled in theology at the University of Cambridge.  And the show was based on mysteries by James Runcie, son of the former archbishop of Canterbury.  It will be hard to find another series that offers as much as this one.

Edited by phlox

BethR   

I have watched Grantchester, and have mixed feelings about it. Would like to read the books to see how they compare. I liked this piece from Christ & Pop Culture comparing two BBC TV priests, Father Brown & Father Chambers.

The distance between Father Brown’s Kembleford and Grantchester’s setting in the outskirts of Cambridgeshire is barely over 100 miles. Remarkably, both shows take place in the 1950s, so I expected them to be very similar in scope and substance. I was surprised to find, however, the differences to be stark.

phlox   

Interesting… I liked this comment -

“If Father Brown is a study in the murder mysteries of an English summer, Grantchester is a pilgrimage through all the seasons of the year.”

I haven’t seen the Father Brown series, but as the article points out, more variety of relationships and  spiritual struggle could be explored in Grantchester, since Reverend (not Father) Chambers had the possibility of marriage and family while the priest did not. 

Was hoping to get into either Star Trek: Discovery or The Orville….but no such luck

Edited by phlox