Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Star Wars: Boba Fett spin-off movie

Links to the threads on Episode I, Episode II, Episode III, Episode IV, Episode V, Episode VI, Episode VII, Episode VIII, Episode IX and the 2004 and 2006 editions of Episodes IV-VI on DVD and the 2011 edition of Episodes I-VI on Blu-Ray, as well as The Clone Wars, Rebels and the various rumoured other TV series (plus one quasi-duplicate thread on the comedy series) and spin-off movies (like Rogue One, Solo, the Obi-Wan Kenobi movie and Rian Johnson's trilogy). 

See also the threads on 'Star Wars Debate Redux' (which began as a place to bash Episode II; Jul 2003 - Aug 2015), 'Sci fi = spiritual? Star Wars, X2, etc.' (Apr 2004), 'Best Star Wars Movie?' (with poll; Apr 2004 - Jan 2014), 'Top 100 Discussion: The Star Wars original trilogy?' (May 2004), 'Is Star Wars Blasphemous?' (Jun 2005 - Feb 2010), 'Star Wars in 20 minutes' (Aug 2006) and 'Star Wars: Uncut' (Apr 2010). 

Links to our threads on previous James Mangold films Walk the Line (2005), 3:10 to Yuma (2007), Knight and Day (2010), The Wolverine (2013) and Logan (2017). We apparently don't have any threads on Heavy (1995), Cop Land (1997), Girl Interrupted (1999), Kate & Leopold (2001), Identity (2003) or Ford v. Ferrari (2019).

- - -

‘Star Wars:’ A Boba Fett Movie Is in the Works
Disney is developing a “Star Wars” standalone movie centered on the bounty hunter Boba Fett from “Logan” director James Mangold, Variety has learned from several sources.
Simon Kinberg, best known as a writer-producer on the “X-Men” movies, will collaborate with Mangold on the Boba Fett movie as a co-writer and producer.
The untitled movie will be a part of the studio’s Star Wars Anthology films, which are being spun off as origin stories. . . .
Variety, May 24

- - -

But... but... Boba Fett's origin story was already told in Episode II! (There's no word, incidentally, on whether Temuera Morrison will reprise the role.)

34 minutes ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

But... but... Boba Fett's origin story was already told in Episode II!

This film is probably for everyone wondering what Boba Fett was up to before and after the events of the Star Wars Holiday Special.

Fett's character thrives on mystery and looming in the background. Giving him the spotlight and more of an origin story undercuts any lingering sense of enigma Episode II didn't already exorcise. But ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Joel Mayward wrote:
: This film is probably for everyone wondering what Boba Fett was up to before and after the events of the Star Wars Holiday Special.

I imagine there's a whole lot of nonsense to work around in the canonical cartoon shows, too.

(The cartoons -- which I have never seen, apart from the big-screen version of The Clone Wars -- keep popping up in the "anthology" movies. The Forest Whitaker character in Rogue One originated in the cartoons, and Solo builds up to a big reveal in which we learn that everyone has been working for a character who we *thought* had died in one of the earlier movies, but if you were watching the cartoons you would know that he was alive again... It's almost like the "anthology" movies aren't really prequels to the main movies, but are spin-offs of the cartoon show...)

If this was a Dengar movie, I'd be in.  But ain't gonna pay money for someone who gets belched on by a sarlaac.