Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Links to our threads on the MCU films Captain America: Civil War (2016), Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017), Avengers: Infinity War (2018) and Avengers: Infinity War Part II (2019).

Links to our threads on the non-MCU films Spider-Man 2 (2004), Spider-Man 3 (2007), The Amazing Spider-Man (2012), The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014), Venom (2018) and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018), as well as the once-in-development films about The Sinister Six and Aunt May.

Links to our threads on the original Spider-Man (2002) at the old Novogate discussion board:

- - - 

Tom Holland Reveals ‘Spider-Man 2’ Title: ‘Far From Home’
“Far From Home” will mark the next Marvel film after “Avengers 4,” and is set to premiere July 5, 2019, two months after the “Infinity War” follow-up. Few plot details are known, other than that Peter Parker will be dealing with the aftereffects of the Infinity War.
Jake Gyllenhaal is set to star as the villain Mysterio. Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers wrote the script, with “Homecoming’s” Jon Watts returning to direct.
Variety, June 24

Looking forward to seeing Spider-Man surviving in the wilderness with his pet dog. 

Edited by NBooth

45 minutes ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

- - - 

Tom Holland Reveals ‘Spider-Man 2’ Title: ‘Far From Home’
“Far From Home” will mark the next Marvel film after “Avengers 4,” and is set to premiere July 5, 2019, two months after the “Infinity War” follow-up. Few plot details are known, other than that Peter Parker will be dealing with the aftereffects of the Infinity War.

As in, you know, being dead? Oh, I guess that was just a false climax in the last movie, huh?

Well I had fun. I continue to think Tom Holland is he best thing going in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and I like this iteration of Peter Parker

Also, I can totally confirm that Jake Gyllenhaal is not playing Khan in this movie. 

From its winking opening scene of a high-school closed-circuit television show paying tribute to the fallen Avengers to its final post-credits teaser for the MCU’s intrafilm story arc, Far From Home refuses to succumb to the studios snowballing weight of gravitas. Yes, Spider-Man has been to space and fought Thanos, but he’s still just a boy standing in front of the girl, asking her to like him.

Yeah, it's no Into the Spider-Verse, and it certainly isn't Spider-Man 2, but I enjoyed this one for what it is. As in Homecoming, the relationship between Peter and the antagonist is developed more by shorthand than anything else--we know Peter gets into these kinds of relationships and so the filmmakers don't feel the need to actually show them developing all that much--and that hurts the movie a bit. 

Still, good performances all around. And it's kind of nice to have a Spider-Man movie where the primary characters actually feel like they're in high school.

The final confrontation is so-so, but I liked the earlier one at about the midpoint (?) of the film--there's some really fun imagery going on there.

So....

This Spider-Man is now two-for-two cleaning up Tony Stark's messes. As much as Peter and the rest of the MCU seem to idolize the man, he's responsible for a lot.

As with the previous Spider-Man movie, I can't help but feel like the best part of this one was literally lifted from the Sam Raimi movies. No spoilers, but stay through the end-credits scenes.

Haven't seen the film yet and am in no rush to (still haven't caught up with Captain Marvel or Endgame yet!), but I'm loving Jake Gyllenhaal and Tom Holland's press appearances. Jake seems to be having the time of his life and Tom is the greatest sidekick he could ask for.

The first half of this film is boring, boilerplate MCU CGI-saturated punchfest. The second half is a wonderful deconstruction that first half.

Also, while I am tired of these MCU Spider-Man films being more about Tony Stark worship than about Spider-Man, they have something interesting to say about class systems between billionaires and the people they employ/exploit.

I felt pretty meh about it, which bummed me out since Spidey has been my favorite superhero since childhood, and I very much enjoyed Spider-Verse and Homecoming.  The writing felt lazy and too much of the comedy forced, too much of the acting unnatural.  With better direction and smarter writing, so much more could've been done with the dynamic between Peter and Quentin.  Its commentary on living in a post-truth world of alternative facts was quite timely, though.

Here's my review: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/2019/07/the-newest-spider-man-a-marvel-movie-for-a-post-truth-world/

I checked out of this film as soon as it was revealed that Tony Stark had [SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER BOOM!]. I just could not believe that he would do that. Especially after all the angst of Age of Ultron led to him taking the side that he did in Civil War.

I smiled at Peter's lengthy post. It reminded me of the good-old contentious days of A&F where we could fight endlessly over this stuff. I enjoyed Far From Home, but I can't really dispute any of the litany of points he makes. I dreamed that we were back in the Renaissance and Peter took Shakespeare to task for violating the Aristotelian unities. Not that this is Shakespeare, by any means. But I liked it. 

-- Steven D. Greydanus at Decent Films - SDG Reviews observed in a recent article that religion has been curiously missing from the way characters in the MCU have dealt with the apocalypse. But this film does at least show Aunt May taking part in a fundraiser (for people displaced by "the blip", e.g. people who vanished for five years and then found that their homes, families and financial assets had moved on without them) hosted by the Salvation Army.

I got a subscription to Comixology and read the graphic novels for Secret Wars, Civil War, and Infinity Gauntlet. There is a lot of God talk (especially in SW and IG), but it's all of a piece. God is a linguistic signifier applying to anyone (or anything) that has certain characteristics  but never the name of an actual being in any of the multiverses. Thus Doom is God in Battleword, Thanos became God for awhile, etc. I was reminded, not for the first time, of the passages in Screwtape Letters where Screwtape says the ultimate goal is a materialist magician -- one that believes in dark spirits/demons but not God. Given that Mephisto has a place in the Marvel Comic Multiverse and that Thor and other Norse "gods" are real, I've always just assumed the Marvel Comic's universe was that place. 

I was a little surprised that in the comics

Authoritarian Iron Man actually wins Civil War, and he and Maria Hill are still in charge. I imagine something happens in the aftermath that eventually changes thinks. Anyway, Spdier-man is the first hero that Iron Man recruits to give up his secret identity, but Peter eventually breaks with him and goes over to Captain America's team. The movies deviate from the comics, of course, and I'm not holding my breath, but I am also not totally discounting the possibility that Peter will eventually come to repudiate Tony's "gift."

FWIW, I watched Homecoming with my kids today and was reminded that the first Spidey-suit that Tony gave Peter came with an "instant kill" feature. But Tony does take the suit back from Peter eventually. (Before returning it to him.) So the drone-strike thing in Far from Home isn't *entirely* unprecedented. But... still.

My kids and I also watched Captain America: Civil War yesterday, and yeesh, is it weird to watch the beginning of that film with Far from Home's retconning in mind. A throwaway visual effect that was deployed for dramatic efficiency in that film (and also to show off the digital de-aging process that had already been used on Michael Douglas and would go on to be used on Kurt Russell, Michelle Pfeiffer and Samuel L. Jackson) becomes the *whole basis* for the plot in Far from Home. And Civil War is the very film in which Tony Stark, having wrestled with the harm that his technology *and* superheroics have done, becomes determined to give the government control over the Avengers -- which is antithetical to how Stark relates to Spider-Man in both of the solo Spidey films.

Oh, and in Homecoming, Peter Parker says he is 15 years old, even though that film takes place only "two months" after the events of 2016's Civil War and thus two years before the events of 2018's Infinity War (when Peter was apparently 16, based on what he says in Far from Home). Hmmm. Then again, Peter specifies that he is 15 years old *after* Tony Stark says it was foolish of him to recruit a "14-year-old". Maybe Peter *was* 14 during the events of Civil War, and then he turned 15 during the two-month gap between that film and Homecoming. In which case almost two whole years could go by before the events of Infinity War and Peter still might not have turned 17 yet.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway