Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Star Trek: Picard

Links to our threads on the original TV series (1966-1969), the original movie series (1979-2002), Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987-1994), Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1993-1999), Star Trek: Enterprise (2001-2005), Star Trek (2009), Star Trek into Darkness (2013), Star Trek Beyond (2016), Star Trek: Discovery (2017-present) and Star Trek 14 (in development). We don't seem to have a thread on Star Trek: Voyager (1995-2001).

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Star Trek: Discovery is such an aggressively stupid show that I have little hope for Picard, which is also produced by Alex "franchise killer" Kurtzman, but we'll see. (Yes, we all love Patrick Stewart, but his involvement is no guarantee of quality; just look at the quality dive that The Next Generation took during its last season or two, and at how awful nearly all of the Next Generation movies are.) As it happens, I am currently about half-way through my first-ever binge-watch of Star Trek: Voyager -- the only series in the franchise that I have never seen all the way through -- and it looks like my catch-up viewing of that series will be useful here.

A few quick notes: 

(1) It appears that Picard became an "admiral" at some point, after years of *resisting* promotion (and after Kirk specifically told him never to become an admiral, in Generations).

(2) The teaser refers to a "rescue" mission "fifteen years ago"... and the trailer says Data died "almost twenty years ago", which was during the events of Nemesis in 2379... so this series appears to be taking place in the mid- to late 2390s, which would mean the rescue mission was in the early to mid-2380s. The producers have been saying all along that this series will have something to do with the destruction of Romulus in 2387 (as per the first JJ Abrams movie), so maybe Picard's rescue mission took place a year or three before Romulus was actually destroyed?

(3) Whose body parts are we seeing? I would have assumed that Data's body was completely disintegrated in the destruction of Shinzon's ship. Have they held on to Lore's body parts since he was dismantled in Season 7 of The Next Generation (which took place in 2370)? Did they dismantle B-4 for some reason? (In the Star Trek Countdown comic that Kurtzman co-wrote -- and which Kurtzman and company always insisted was "canon" -- Data's personality had taken over B-4's body and the Data/B-4 hybrid had become captain of the Enterprise-E by the time Romulus was destroyed.)

(4) Picard and Seven of Nine (does she still go by that name?) are both former Borg drones. A scene between them *could* be interesting.

(5) Some observers have noted that Picard seems to be recycling some "Chosen One" super-powered-girl tropes from movies like Logan and The Fifth Element.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway