Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

Should A&F posts have a "Like" Button?

Should A&F Posts Have a "Like" Button  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I noticed in looking in the admin panel that the board software has the capacity to add "reactions," including a "Like" button similar to what one sees on Facebook. I don't think we've ever had that. I can see good and bad to the idea. It's nice to be able to affirm a post that someone wrote or see a "Like" even if there is no response. On the downside, we've traditionally wanted to have this as a discussion board, avoiding ratings. I'm curious if anyone else has strong feelings either way. 

In my experience, a "like" button does discourage conversation.  Just being able to click to "affirm" what someone says is an easy alternative to responding with even a single sentence of affirmation.

If the A&F board is to have a resurgence of conversation again, there are a number of alternatives to this that I think could encourage more conversation instead.

If we had a "like" button, I would ironically like Jeremy's above post, instead of typing this to say I think he's right it would discourage conversation.

In addition to the above points, if there's a "like" button it will destroy the sometime-tradition of wishing that the board had a "like" button.

I tried to "love" all of the above comments, but I couldn't find the right button. ;) 

While I do like "liking" comments on Facebook and Twitter in sort of an online "high-five" way, I think one of the unique aspects of A&F that I still appreciate is an aim for genuine conversation and discussion, disagreement and analysis. So, while I wouldn't abandon A&F if a "like" button were introduced, I'd consciously avoid using it for as long as I could.

Edited by Joel Mayward