Sign in to follow this  
Buckeye Jones

Church matters

First some context.  I realize that this is an off topic for this group.  But I figure there may be some resources.

My church serves a very diverse socioeconomic congregation.  One of our long term members has become infested with bed bugs such that you can see them on him.  Other members have found them when sitting near him.

He has some limited mental ability due to age and injury. Ideally we would help him by finding new living situation and furniture.  This may not be possible due to any number of reasons, not least that he may refuse help. City ordinances do not allow for landlord citations for bedbugs.

Anyone have resources or advice?  We end up treating the area he sits in weekly after services, but are now at a point where we are considering requesting that he refrain from entering services.  I feel my heart churn to think this but am worried that his infestation will affect others.

I am sorry I don't have more/better advice or resources, but I did want to say I empathize.

From what little I know, bed bugs may enter a domicile through furniture, but that does not necessarily mean they live there exclusively. Since they can live in baseboards, outlets, wallpaper, etc., simply changing the furniture may not be sufficient.

You say the landlord cannot be "cited" for bedbugs. Can he/she be worked with? If you are not sure the man himself will accept help, will the landlord? (For example, is the cost of replacing furniture commensurate with the cost of a professional pest control visit to his home/apartment? If so, perhaps reaching out to the landlord with the information that you are looking to help rather than cite may incentivize him/her to do something he otherwise wouldn't?

That’s a fair point.  I am not sure what contact we’ve had with the landlord in the past.  The building is larger (20+ units), and my suspicion is that the entire place is infested.  It would be good to know a cost to treat the whole thing, at least to know what we could help with.

That's a tough situation, but I hope something can work out for both the man and your church community. Does he have someone he would consider a friend or point of contact within the church? I would be curious about their perspective if they know him and his situation better, and perhaps can speak to him about it with a greatest level of trust and care. And I think Ken's suggestion is worth pursing. Would your church community have the financial means to help in some way?