Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

Beautiful Trauma -- P!nk

Been mostly listening to books on tape during commute (school year), but when the book I was reading finished the other night, I realized I still had P!nk's new album in my car CD player. (I got tickets for concern last Spring, but I was not able to attend due to a last-minute teaching assignment.) 

Anyhow, I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the album. Here's a short recommendation I made for CT last year:

It is a staple of Christian marketing to suggest consumers invite friends and neighbors to evangelical movies and concerts to perhaps spark a "conversation." Whenever this happens, I always wonder if there is a reciprocal assumption that we will approach the art of our secular friends and counterparts with the same listening posture. P!nk's new album comes with all the requisite content advisories for explicit lyrics, but it's also a soulful and at times exhilarating expression of American Romanticism. Like Walt Whitman, the pop diva sounds her own barbaric yawp over the rooftops of the world with the aptly titled "I Am Here." Like Thoreau, she wants to suck the marrow out of life, living each moment to its fullest even if doing so means making "some mistakes." Like Poe, Hawthorne, and Melville, her poetry expresses deep-seated, often painful, doubts regarding matters about which the Puritan elements of society have always been dogmatically certain. The question "Where does everybody go when they go?" is repeated 18 times in "I Am Here," and while P!nk acknowledges she doesn't "have the answers," she is absolutely correct that this is the central question that at turns drives and frightens us. There are moments of nostalgia for a simpler, idealized existence: "And all I wanna do / Is go back to playing Barbies in my room." In "Barbies," the speaker cryptically references "sin" and laments that she has become the person she "swore I would never be." As the title suggests, Beautiful Trauma is at times painful, but in embracing life's wounds as an inextricable part of being human, it is also at turns joyful and profound. It's not orthodox, but it is well worth our attention.

I confess I was only vaguely aware of who P!nk was until she was in Thanks for Sharing, but I enjoy her music. Anybody else have this album?