Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

Greta (2019)

It's hard for me to articulate how deeply I loathed this movie. It didn't provoke the white-hot anger that one gets when one is offended by laziness, crassness, or incompetence. It was just a listless, hopeless sort of loathing that what I was watching was never going to have any sort of pay off, any sort of compensation for experiencing another drip in the drip-drip-drip accumulation of movies (and shows) built around nothing and about nothing but terrorizing (usually) women. 

It didn't help that I generally like these performers. That just adds to my depression that there is nothing better out there for Moretz and Huppert (and presumably Jordan?) to do. 

There's a place at the end where--well, no I guess I won't give away "spoilers" (though, honestly whoever watches the first half of this movie and doesn't know how certain scenes in the second half are going to go is not someone I would have an otherwise deep conversation with)...let's just say it's the kind of movie, especially in the end, where we are supposed to root for cruelty and pain and suffering, allegedly as some sort of catharsis, I guess. The basic formula of these sort of movies is, I guess, let's subject a character to a lot of crap so that we can feel justified when the tables are turned. 

This is not a movie that is particularly worse than a lot of other terror-schlock, that's the worse part of it. If it were exceptionally bad, there would at least be comfort in that. Instead, it is just depressingly normal, and that makes you realize just how bad so many movies are. 

kenmorefield wrote:
: There's a place at the end where--well, no I guess I won't give away "spoilers" (though, honestly whoever watches the first half of this movie and doesn't know how certain scenes in the second half are going to go is not someone I would have an otherwise deep conversation with) . . .

I've seen the movie, and I'm not sure what you're referring to here, specifically.

But there were certainly scenes in the second half where characters weren't being as... proactively cautious... as I would think they should have been in the situations they were in. I mean, even right to the very last shot, which was pretty predictable...

I thought even by horror film standards, Frances' and Erica's decisions were remarkably stupid, and were written solely for the purpose of setting up later (obvious) plot points, and there were many opportunities where the horror could have ended much earlier.

I like Huppert enough that I thought it was watchable, and I certainly didn't hate it, but that's probably the most positive thing I can say about it. I like Moretz as an actress, but she's given almost nothing to do other than be stupid and then be scared and stupid. And unlike Huppert, she takes the role too seriously instead of finding the level of camp that this sort of story needs if it's going to work.

Also, it really didn't help that the film's sole interest is: how crazy is Greta and what will she do next?