kenmorefield

RESULTS: Top 25 Spiritually Significant Films on Growing Older

I have added JO to the "About Us" page.
I want to add some sort of link in the header(s) of each page to the forums. Any other recommended changes or additions?

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

Just my 2 cents, but I'm thinking more words would detract from the aesthetic of the page layout.

More than one of these films has a non-unique title. I think it's good practice. Plus, I really like being able to see the year of release, it instantly places it in a lot of context.

5 minutes ago, Joshua Wilson said:

John Drew's name is spelled wrong on #24.

Fixed. Thank you.

On 6/6/2019 at 5:42 AM, Andrew said:

Just my 2 cents, but I'm thinking more words would detract from the aesthetic of the page layout.

I agree completely.

6 hours ago, Joshua Wilson said:

I don't mean to be a pest about it, but there are a lot of King Lears, just for example.

There are, but I feel like the photo and the blurb sufficiently single out which production we are referring to. And fuller info is provided in the nominations thread. 

I'm making my way through this top 25 blurb by blurb.  I feel this list unlocks these films as one would unlock a box of precious treasure - carefully and with loving attention.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp is getting a retrospect from AFI. Be on the look out for local arthouse theaters that might follow suit: AFI.com/Silver

I have added Rob's blurb of The Man Who Planted Trees, meaning the web page is complete unless anyone else wishes to be added to the "About Us" page. 

Thanks all for your contributions.

Huzzah!  Thank you for all of your hard work on this project, Ken.

Yes, thanks again, Ken!

I agree that it would be helpful to have year and director but also that it looks much better in the gallery to only have the title. Could there be another page with just the 1-25 list that contained this information (basically what is at the beginning of this results thread with year and director)? That would deal with this issue, and address what I see as the most glaring omission—the list itself, in an easily readable form. At the top of each page, “List” could be added to Home, Gallery, and About with the link to that page. I love the click-advancing gallery with the blurbs, but a list like that would make the page much more user friendly. I think that list would be the appropriate place to link to the threads for the respective films in the forum (an idea I really like). Even better, perhaps that list could appear on the Gallery page (which currently just has pictures) in the form of captions under each picture that give the rank, the film title, director, and year. Those of us who have seen or at least been in on the discussion might get the hint as to what each photo refers to, but not someone who happens across the page due to interest in the topic. I think it would be a mistake to assume that anyone would find their way to the nominations or results thread in the forum, even if they wanted to. This is the spot.

Those heading links do not appear at the top of the About page. It think it would be best to have them there to allow people to navigate within the site without having to rely on the browser’s back button. I know that clicking the title in the upper left also brings one back to Home, but the consistency would be nice, too.

Speaking of consistency and that title in the upper left, it’s different in terms of line breaks on all three pages:

Home has

Arts & Faith

Top 25: Growing

Older

About has

Arts & Faith

Top 25:

Growing

Older

Gallery has

Arts & Faith

Top 25:

Growing Older

That last one (Gallery) is the one that looks best and makes most sense (3 lines of 2 prominent words each), and I think all of them should be changed to look like that.

On the Home page, moving the cursor over the Gallery heading link reveals a drop down menu containing the words “Growing Older,” but if you click on that, it stays on the home page. Clicking the word “Gallery” obviously leads to the gallery.

On the Gallery page, the text “(Click on a Photo for a description from A&F contributor)” should be subordinate (lower, smaller font) to the word “Gallery.” I’m not sure it needs to be in parentheses. Is there a reason why “Photo” is capitalized and not the other key words? I’d suggest “Click on a photo for a description and commentary from an Arts & Faith contributor. Click on the film’s title for a discussion of the film in the Arts & Faith film forum.” That would of course necessitate adding the rank, title, and ideally year and director to the gallery page, as mentioned above.

Could there be a prominent link to the A&F home page? At the least, the “Artsandfaith.com” in the Our Mission section of the About page should be an active hyperlink.

I still think that there should be a dedicated, aesthetically pleasing (like this one) A&F home page with links to the forum, Top 100 and 25 lists, ecumenical jury lists, etc. but that’s probably a project for another time.

Some of these are quibbles; some are more substantive. I have used templates like this in the past and I know they can be very tricky, but if these changes are possible, I think that the consistency and additions would improve the site a lot.

3 hours ago, Rob Z said:

Yes, thanks again, Ken!

I agree that it would be helpful to have year and director but also that it looks much better in the gallery to only have the title. Could there be another page with just the 1-25 list that contained this information (basically what is at the beginning of this results thread with year and director)? That would deal with this issue, and address what I see as the most glaring omission—the list itself, in an easily readable form. At the top of each page, “List” could be added to Home, Gallery, and About with the link to that page. I love the click-advancing gallery with the blurbs, but a list like that would make the page much more user friendly. I think that list would be the appropriate place to link to the threads for the respective films in the forum (an idea I really like). Even better, perhaps that list could appear on the Gallery page (which currently just has pictures) in the form of captions under each picture that give the rank, the film title, director, and year. Those of us who have seen or at least been in on the discussion might get the hint as to what each photo refers to, but not someone who happens across the page due to interest in the topic. I think it would be a mistake to assume that anyone would find their way to the nominations or results thread in the forum, even if they wanted to. This is the spot.

Those heading links do not appear at the top of the About page. It think it would be best to have them there to allow people to navigate within the site without having to rely on the browser’s back button. I know that clicking the title in the upper left also brings one back to Home, but the consistency would be nice, too.

Speaking of consistency and that title in the upper left, it’s different in terms of line breaks on all three pages:

Home has

Arts & Faith

Top 25: Growing

Older

About has

Arts & Faith

Top 25:

Growing

Older

Gallery has

Arts & Faith

Top 25:

Growing Older

That last one (Gallery) is the one that looks best and makes most sense (3 lines of 2 prominent words each), and I think all of them should be changed to look like that.

On the Home page, moving the cursor over the Gallery heading link reveals a drop down menu containing the words “Growing Older,” but if you click on that, it stays on the home page. Clicking the word “Gallery” obviously leads to the gallery.

On the Gallery page, the text “(Click on a Photo for a description from A&F contributor)” should be subordinate (lower, smaller font) to the word “Gallery.” I’m not sure it needs to be in parentheses. Is there a reason why “Photo” is capitalized and not the other key words? I’d suggest “Click on a photo for a description and commentary from an Arts & Faith contributor. Click on the film’s title for a discussion of the film in the Arts & Faith film forum.” That would of course necessitate adding the rank, title, and ideally year and director to the gallery page, as mentioned above.

Could there be a prominent link to the A&F home page? At the least, the “Artsandfaith.com” in the Our Mission section of the About page should be an active hyperlink.

I still think that there should be a dedicated, aesthetically pleasing (like this one) A&F home page with links to the forum, Top 100 and 25 lists, ecumenical jury lists, etc. but that’s probably a project for another time.

Some of these are quibbles; some are more substantive. I have used templates like this in the past and I know they can be very tricky, but if these changes are possible, I think that the consistency and additions would improve the site a lot.

As per previous discussion, I'm not averse in principle to these ideas, but I am working with a template, teaching myself .html editing, ftp, etc., while not really having any help (that I don't have to pay for out of pocket) on the tech side. So things are likely to change very slowly since  priority one is to to not break anything by making changes that I don't understand. 

According to our file structure, we have stand alone pages for 2005, 2010, 2011, and 2019. Those prior to 2019 are on a different template and heavily covered with IMAGE branding.

I would like to have some sort of master page for the Top 100/25 lists that goes to each separate page as well as easier integration back and forth to the forums. I like the 2019 format, but it plays better on phones than laptops and the text is too small to actually read the blurbs. It's a better clickbait than actual resource. But I wouldn't mind having a separate page of just the texts. 

16 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

As per previous discussion, I'm not averse in principle to these ideas, but I am working with a template, teaching myself .html editing, ftp, etc., while not really having any help (that I don't have to pay for out of pocket) on the tech side. So things are likely to change very slowly since  priority one is to to not break anything by making changes that I don't understand. 

According to our file structure, we have stand alone pages for 2005, 2010, 2011, and 2019. Those prior to 2019 are on a different template and heavily covered with IMAGE branding.

I would like to have some sort of master page for the Top 100/25 lists that goes to each separate page as well as easier integration back and forth to the forums. I like the 2019 format, but it plays better on phones than laptops and the text is too small to actually read the blurbs. It's a better clickbait than actual resource. But I wouldn't mind having a separate page of just the texts. 

I totally hear you, Ken. I wish I had some tech expertise to offer--that would surely be more helpful than the editorial/proofreader stuff!

I have removed the drop down menu under Gallery and added a link to the forum. Don't have time today but will try to standardize the address bars on gallery and "about" page and add a link to the Top 100 lists at top of forum (next to "staff" and "online users")

The Growing Older page looks wonderful.

Just wondering...is there a way to make the page pop up more easily on a Google search?

If you search for "arts and faith growing older top 25 films", you will find Andrew and Ken's pages.  Those are excellent in and of themselves, but is there a way that a Google search could yield direct access to the online top 25 list itself?  This not for my own sake but for others who would like to find it easily as they search.

Edited by Brian D

14 hours ago, Brian D said:

The Growing Older page looks wonderful.

Just wondering...is there a way to make the page pop up more easily on a Google search?

If you search for "arts and faith growing older top 25 films", you will find Andrew and Ken's pages.  Those are excellent in and of themselves, but is there a way that a Google search could yield direct access to the online top 25 list itself?  This not for my own sake but for others who would like to find it easily as they search.

Short answer: I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I think Google searches are based on site popularity, so the main way is to get more traffic at A&F. 

There may be ways to pay for Search Engine Optimization, but I don't think I/we want to go down that route. I am open to other suggestions, though.