Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Diane

I don't start new threads here often, but I'm very curious to know if anyone has seen Kent Jones' "Diane." I had heard the film has a strong lead performance from Mary Kay Place, but until seeing "Diane" last night, I hadn't known how prominent a role religion plays in the story. I was pleasantly surprised, though the expressions of faith are sometimes hypocritical (just like real life!).

I'd like to know to what extent others here found the depiction of faith to be positive, if at all. 

For the most part, I thought the portrayal of religion was neither positive nor negative, just one integral part of Diane's life as she cares for her cousin, son, volunteers her time, etc. The one exception would have been the dinner with her son and daughter-in-law, but I think that scene was more critical of the born again proselytizing, not of religion per se.

I was reminded of Bergman, especially toward the end during some of the dream sequences, not just in the framing and lighting choices which seemed reminiscent of The Silence and Cries and Whispers, but also in the themes of aging, regret, and past mistakes as seen through the perspective of one's religious beliefs.

Yes, agreed all around. I appreciate the (few) films I see where religion is just part of daily life - casual expression of "the Lord will take care of her," etc. I suppose that can be a platitude, but it feels meaningful in the context of Diane, where people are in the hospital or otherwise suffering or just getting by. The film focuses on older characters - in itself quite unusual (and admirable - that audience is underserved). 

It's easy to let such talk pass by, and had it not been raised several times, I might not have made a big deal of it. But it comes up several times throughout the film, and I found myself wondering about Jones' religious background (if any). I'm tempted to assume Jones was raised Catholic because he so often has interviewed Scorsese and has made Hitchcock/Truffaut, based on interviews in which Truffaut directly asks Hitch about his religious background. But I've not been able to confirm anything about Jones' own thinking on faith. I suppose such knowledge isn't essential to understanding Diane, but the movie made me want to understand better where the filmmaker might be coming from on the subject.

Edited by Christian