Jump to content
kenmorefield

Top 100 and Top 25 Pages

Recommended Posts

This is a thread for me to post updates and ask questions about the Top 25 and Top 100 landing pages. 

I was working on the Top 100 page for 2010 today and it looked only partially completed. (Only Ordet has a click through and there was a dead link to Jeff's link in Good Letters Blog. 

Jeff I would be happy to repost your write up as a subpage of the 2010 Top 100 landing page if you still have it and permission to reprint. If it is copyright for Image, I understand. 

I don't feel the need/desire to go in and replicate what they did with Ordet write up (a stand alone page for each of the 100 films with links to forum, IMDB, Wikipedia, etc.) But I do want to keep the title. Perhaps the link could be to the discussion forum thread (if any) for that film?

http://artsandfaith.com/t100/2010/t100/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the top left corner of the home page for the forums, you should now see a link to the forum's "List Directory" which, while still under construction, is intended to serve as a landing page to direct searchers to various Top 25 and Top 100 lists that are housed internally. 

It looks like a lot of the write ups for Top 25s were at Image, but we have standalone pages for Top 100 (2010 and 2011) and 2019 Top 25 (Growing Older). If I am missing any, please remind me so that I can add them to the directory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I found the stand-alone pages (finally) for the Top 25 horror, road, marriage films, etc.  The bad news is that the html is written in such a way that I can't just strip the "Image" branding and leave the pages themselves untouched. (They use a style sheet that makes over 1/2/ of each page ads for Image or the Glen Workshop. I'm working on adding each list to the master list while trying to preserve the "content" of the lists.) 

Darren, there is a dead link on the Road moives list to your write up at the Good Letters blog. If you still have it, I'm happy to reprint it at top of Road Movies page.

http://artsandfaith.com/t100/25_road.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoa!  What's happened to the look of the Top 25 and Top 100 lists in the past week?  Since I posted my column 6 days ago at Secular Cinephile, complete with links to all of the Top 25 lists and the most recent Top 100, everything has changed, and not for the better.  The Top 100 looks dingy, while the Top 25s from previous years have lost their accompanying movie stills.  I'm assuming this is (quite) temporary, Ken?  

Edited by Andrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andrew said:

Whoa!  What's happened to the look of the Top 25 and Top 100 lists in the past week?  Since I posted my column 6 days ago at Secular Cinephile, complete with links to all of the Top 25 lists and the most recent Top 100, everything has changed, and not for the better.  The Top 100 looks dingy, while the Top 25s from previous years have lost their accompanying movie stills.  I'm assuming this is (quite) temporary, Ken?  

Without a long technical explanation, the Top 100 and Top 25 lists were written with a .css Style Sheet. That style sheet framed nearly everything with Image branding, ads, and now obsolete content (such as links to Image's Good Letters blog that are no longer functional). 

It is not temporary that the Image-branded style sheet needs/needed to go away. This is no longer an Image site. I don't mean that as a knock on them. It is quite natural that when the site was run by Image the Top 100 and Top 25 pages existed primarily to promote Image (or to promote this board which was primarily to promote Image.) I am certainly open to changes being temporary in that I'm open to someone creating a different style sheet that is not Image branded, but I lack the capacity to do so or the funds to hire a professional. The options, as I see them, are to delete the 2010 and 2011 Top 100 pages and all the Top 25 pages and reconstruct them from scratch or to try to keep as an archive the bare bones of the *content* which is the blurbs written by contributors and the lists themselves in hopes that at a future time or date someone is interested in putting in the time to design new pages. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for explaining things, Ken.  I'm sorry the pages don't look as aesthetically pleasing any longer, but it makes sense why this is the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The .css integration also explained something that had long puzzled me...why the subsequent Top 25 lists were filed in the 2010 *folder.* 
I'm exploring trying to put all the lists (Top 100, Top 25, EJ) in a separate directory subtree with one standard template...though that would mean redoing the 2019 Top 25 since I'm okay with it but wouldn't want it to be the standard. 

What do you think about this: https://www.tooplate.com/live/2094-mason

I like that it has the photo array but the "timeline" could be used as a one-by-one list

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked the look of the previous lists and the way they had a thumbnail image of a movie still, which linked to the longer write-up.  I'd be happy with anything with a similar aesthetic.  But I'm hardly a web design expert, so take that for what it's worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are still quite nice-looking versions of the lists on Image's website. Is it frowned upon to link to those now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rushmore said:

There are still quite nice-looking versions of the lists on Image's website. Is it frowned upon to link to those now?

Not at all.


While I would obviously prefer people use Arts & Faith projects to drive traffic to Arts & Faith, I understand perfectly the board's complicated history and how/why that might lead people to prefer to read it elsewhere. I do think it is important that some form of the lists be preserved at A&F since we have no control over Image content or access to it. 

Also, I recognize that some parts of various content in connection with A&F lists  (Ryan's reflections on "memory," films, Darren's reflection on "Road" movies, commentary on first couple of Ecumenical Jury results) exists only at Image. If they are not included in reworked or reformatted versions of the lists it is because A&F may not have rights to simply copy content that Image never posted here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2019 at 8:30 PM, kenmorefield said:

Without a long technical explanation, the Top 100 and Top 25 lists were written with a .css Style Sheet. That style sheet framed nearly everything with Image branding, ads, and now obsolete content (such as links to Image's Good Letters blog that are no longer functional). 

It is not temporary that the Image-branded style sheet needs/needed to go away. This is no longer an Image site. I don't mean that as a knock on them. It is quite natural that when the site was run by Image the Top 100 and Top 25 pages existed primarily to promote Image (or to promote this board which was primarily to promote Image.) I am certainly open to changes being temporary in that I'm open to someone creating a different style sheet that is not Image branded, but I lack the capacity to do so or the funds to hire a professional. The options, as I see them, are to delete the 2010 and 2011 Top 100 pages and all the Top 25 pages and reconstruct them from scratch or to try to keep as an archive the bare bones of the *content* which is the blurbs written by contributors and the lists themselves in hopes that at a future time or date someone is interested in putting in the time to design new pages. 

I've created a set of pages for the older top 25 lists in hopes that they'll be serviceable for the short term. Sneak preview here:

https://simplegifs.com/stuff/artsandfaith/top-25-horror.html
https://simplegifs.com/stuff/artsandfaith/top-25-road.html
https://simplegifs.com/stuff/artsandfaith/top-25-marriage.html

A few notes on these pages:

  • This is not a professional quality design. I'm offering them simply as a stopgap until we have time/resources to put a more permanent solution in place, on the theory that they reach the "better than nothing" level.
  • The images in the lists (not the images in the nav bar) are taken from the old versions of the top 25 pages.
  • They should be responsive and at least readable on every commonly used device/browser. If they fail at this, please tell me.
  • Also please mention any other accessibility/readability/usability concerns.
  • The "Mercy" and "Waking Up" lists, as far as I know, have never been hosted at A&F at all, but only at Image (where they still are). I don't know the implications of that for re-hosting the lists on this site.
Edited by Rushmore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no problem using these as a stopgap if you want to send me the files. 

Regarding the Mercy and Waking Up Lists...my understanding is that the individual authors retain rights to grant permission, so I could reprint blurbs but only with permission. Given that many writers are no longer here/active, it may be easier to solicit new blurbs or intros than for me (or someone else) to try to chase down a dozen or so people off-list and try to get permissions. 

By the way, we never did have an *intro* for the Growing  Older list. If anyone wants to volunteer for that, I'd be grateful, but I'm certainly willing to do it myself. I think the Growing Older format needs to change to something that can be more consistent and integrated with the other lists. 

Prioritization, as I see it, is:
1) Stopgap formatting for previous lists.

2) Reformat and add intro for Growing Older list.

3) Change format (and file location) of previous lists.

4) Reconstruct Mercy and Waking Up Lists

I'm open to reprioritizing that if someone wants to make an argument about how & why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slow progress. I've moved the Top 25 lists to a different folder tree than the top 100. That will ultimately make it easier, but for now it has some domino issues regarding the style sheets etc. Thanks to Rushmore's help, I've go working *pages* for each Top 25 (or links to those at Image). I'll be working to make the menu navigation work later this week.

Incidentally, there is a file structure for a 2006 Top 100 but I could not find any pages for such a list. Anyone remember this?

Ken

http://artsandfaith.com/t25/2011.html
http://artsandfaith.com/t25/2012.html

http://artsandfaith.com/t25/2013.html
http://artsandfaith.com/t25/2014.html

http://artsandfaith.com/t25/2015.html
http://artsandfaith.com/t25/2016.html

http://artsandfaith.com/t25/2017.html
http://artsandfaith.com/t25/2019.html

I don't really care for the faded out icon structure...and I'd like all the t25s to be teh same format, so I may use this as a stopgap and redesign once I have the file structure worked out. The top 100....that's just a mess. I don't see a redesign of the 2010 or 2011 pages any time soon, but I do want to preserve *something* that indicates the results. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to Rushmore's help, the T25 lists are looking a little more presentable in the short run.

In the medium run, I'll work towards standardizing formats, excepting for the two previous Top 100s which might take too long to redo.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you need a app for this?

That way you don’t have to deal editing so many html and css.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, RAW said:

Do you need a app for this?

That way you don’t have to deal editing so many html and css.

I think the answer to that question is...eventually. 
My goal is that these all be in a consistent format and hosted on the site, but I don't know that we have settled on a format yet. Also, while we've been going okay, post-Image, I think things are still touch-and-go traffic wise. I suspect that if we do another Top 100 in 2020, that will either solidify some traffic or be a kind of last hurrah. Perhaps getting an app would/should be part of 2020 list. If so, that could then be used to standardize the format of past lists.

That's my gut instinct, anyway. What do others think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

I suspect that if we do another Top 100 in 2020, that will either solidify some traffic or be a kind of last hurrah. Perhaps getting an app would/should be part of 2020 list. If so, that could then be used to standardize the format of past lists.

That's my gut instinct, anyway. What do others think?

Hopefully not the last hurrah part, but that does sound like a good time to make an app.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2019 at 1:51 PM, kenmorefield said:

My goal is that these all be in a consistent format and hosted on the site, but I don't know that we have settled on a format yet. Also, while we've been going okay, post-Image, I think things are still touch-and-go traffic wise. I suspect that if we do another Top 100 in 2020, that will either solidify some traffic or be a kind of last hurrah. Perhaps getting an app would/should be part of 2020 list. If so, that could then be used to standardize the format of past lists.

I think that's a good goal for the lists, that they're all hosted directly at A&F and have a consistent look/feel to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jose has worked on the app and made it available. Right now only admins and moderators can edit or add to it, but anyone can see it. On the top menu tabs, next to browse, there is an option that says "Films." If you click on that, you will see how the lists will look. 

If anyone wants to work on populating list(s) in this format using the app, let me know and I can get you permission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like the vertically oriented poster images are squashed into a square, resulting in the same kind of distortion that you get from stretching a 4:3 DVD image to fill a widescreen TV. Can this be fixed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rushmore said:

It looks like the vertically oriented poster images are squashed into a square, resulting in the same kind of distortion that you get from stretching a 4:3 DVD image to fill a widescreen TV. Can this be fixed?

Most likely...either by picking different images or tweaking the app. My concern is that all the photos be uniform in their orientation...which raises question of whether or not we want *poster* images or rectangular (horizantal images). Do you have a preference?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...