Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Gemini Man

Links to our threads on previous Ang Lee films The Ice Storm (1997), Ride with the Devil (1999), Hulk (2003), Brokeback Mountain (2005), Lust, Caution (2007), Taking Woodstock (2009), Life of Pi (2012) and Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk (2016). We don't seem to have any threads on Pushing Hands (1991), The Wedding Banquet (1993), Eat Drink Man Woman (1994), Sense and Sensibility (1995) or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000).

I have very little to say about this film (it was generic but more enjoyable for not being a superhero flick). 

I did want to say it gained half a star because the first couple of scenes are in Liege, Belgium. (Now if they had had Sandra or Rosetta on the train, I would have upped it to 4 stars.)

This was the first movie I saw in the 3D High Frame Rate format since 2012's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, and... I still don't like the format. Looks too much like video. Looks cheap. (It even *sounded* like video, to me, like they were using the mic on the home-movie camera or something -- or is that just my brain tweaking the way I hear the sound because I associate that kind of sound with this kind of imagery!?)

All that being said, the digital "mask" they created for Young Will Smith was pretty convincing, at least.

Also, when did the director of Sense & Sensibility and Brokeback Mountain suddenly become an envelope-pushing evangelist for high-tech filmmaking and theatrical exhibition a la Lucas and Cameron?

Edited by Peter T Chattaway