Sign in to follow this  
Greg P

The CCM You Stash in Your Closet

Actually, you mentioned Iona as a band you enjoy. Joanne Hogg has actually done some independent stuff. She did an album of hymns, Looking Into the Light, which, among the multitude of tepid regurgitations of the same church music in CCM, is a lovely breath of fresh air. Definitely still in the celtic-ish vain of Iona.

Glad you mentioned Rich Mullins and Andrew Peterson, Mike. Notwithstanding occasional humorous cheese like "Alrightokuhuhamen", Rich Mullins was one of the finest songwriters of his time, particularly for those attuned to more eternal themes. Liturgy, Legacy, and a Ragamuffin Band is absolutely stunning in its scope and comprehension of the correlation between the United States as a country full of immigrants "lonely for their home", and Christians who are immigrants, longing for heaven. It was immensely influential for me, and would still find its way on to my personal list of the finest records of the 90s. 

Andrew Peterson is the spiritual and creative successor to Rich for me. His songwriting is pristine, honest, and immensely approachable, while maintaining an unusual insight into human experience. Those early albums you mentioned are great, but I like Love And Thunder, The Far Country, and his latest, Light for the Lost boy even more.

Peterson has some good influences. He's also a big Mark Heard fan.

I love his cover of my favourite Rich Mullins song.

I am sorry to do this, but this seems like a pretty good time to mention I am selling some copies of my book Sects Love and Rock & Roll, which is a book about Christian rock and touches in detail on about 70% of the bands Mike mentioned above, at a discount right now. I need to unload a few copies and I'm selling them for $15 each, which includes shipping.

Sorry for the shameful self promotion. You can sign up here - I need to mail them on Friday. tinyurl.com/SLRRorder 

Is the book mainly about "mainstream" CCM or do you talk about the more obscure bands like The Violet Burning and Luxury? It sounds like an interesting book regardless!

It's about coming of age with the Christian rock scene -- Starflyer, Prayer Chain, Sixpence, MxPx, etc figure prominently, but so do bands like Audio Adrenaline, DC Talk, etc -- but really it's just about being an evangelical teenager in the 90s and figuring out how Christian rock impacts identity -- mine, but by implication, anybody's.

You should read it :)