Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

2019 Arts & Faith Ecumenical Jury: Preliminary Discussion

Joel and Peter mentioned in another thread that it may be worth opening this topic a little earlier than in year's past. (It's been my experience in the last two years that *awards* season has been pushed up.

My feeling is that the A&F Ecumenical Jury is worth continuing, but since we don't have a partnership with Image any longer, I get that people may want to focus their efforts elsewhere.

I am happy to participate but I am not sure I want to coordinate. If anyone wants to take point on this, you are welcome to do so with my blessing.

Though an observer and not a participant, I hope y'all continue with this.  I always enjoy the thoughtfully composed finished product.

Unless someone else wants to take on the task, I'm quite happy to coordinate the EJ again this year, if everyone is cool with that. I believe Transpositions would be willing to host and publish the list again, but if it's possible to post it directly to ArtsandFaith.com, like the "Growing Older" list, that'd probably be better for site traffic and longevity of the lists. We can also republish this last year's EJ list on ArtsandFaith.com at some point in the future as well. However, it might be more work for administrators--specifically Ken--to post such lists here, so if that's the case, Transpositions is an available option, if that worked for everyone.

I am certainly okay with that, as Joel had a nice balance of inclusion of A&Fers and welcoming people not regulars here. 

As far as publication, I''m pretty much open to whomever someone acting as coordinator wants to work with. My preference is that any outside publisher would have an understanding (as I did with CT or Image) that they get exclusive rights to publish the list/results for 30-90 days, after which we are free to republish on the site (usually with a link back or rider saying "this article originally appeared at blah, blah, blah, reprinted with permission.")

I don't have the connection to work with publishers, but I'd be happy to help spearhead organizational aspects (recruiting jury members, keeping track of nominees, etc.)

And I'm happy to participate again.

Bumping this thread to see if Joel had any sense of a timeline in mind or whether you had changed your mind about coordinating. (I know schedules can be unexpected during late stages of postgraduate study.)

Thanks for this reminder, Ken! I do still have the EJ on my to-do list, so perhaps I need to prioritize it this week and get things rolling again. Would publishing the finished list at ArtsandFaith.com be possible this year, like the "Growing Older" list?

Yes, it is no problem publishing the list here.

I may, depending on the the make up of the jury and the timing of the list, run it by Image and/or CT, though I doubt either would want to run it. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Okay, I've sent out an email to those who participated last year, and created a nominations thread. Nominations will officially begin November 25. This allows for some time for the jury to be finalized. If you are an A&F member and a film critic and would like to participate in this ecumenical jury, please indicate this in the forum thread, or email/message me directly.

I look forward to participating and thumb wrestling Evan over the relative merits of Parasite and Jojo Rabbit.