Sign in to follow this  
BethR

Dracula, by Bram Stoker (1897)

Long ago I confessed that I had never read this iconic novel. Well, I'm reading it now, because I decided to teach it in my Honors "Heroes and Monsters" class. I have the Oxford World's Classics edition for notes, but the "reading" itself has been primarily via Audible.com audiobook, which is read by a stellar cast: Alan Cumming as Dr. Seward, Simon Vance as Jonathan Harker, Katy Kellgren as Mina Murray/Harker, Susan Duerden as Lucy Westenra, and Tim Curry as Van Helsing (plus additional readers in bit parts). It's too bad that most of Van Helsing's speeches are rendered through other characters' letters and diaries, which means we don't get nearly enough Tim Curry, but otherwise, it's a lot of fun. I can see how it might have been quite frightening, though, back in the day.

Students seem to be enjoying it so far--the class is about halfway through it, and the term "vampire" has finally been uttered.

Anyone else have thoughts on Dracula--the novel, not the films?

I taught it long ago when I did Victorian Lit class at the Bible college. I was indifferent but have always had a soft spot because one of my best students liked it so much he eventually did his master's thesis on it (which he sent me).

I remember a lot of the discussion focusing on the how much and how conscience where the expressions of de-evolution and xenophobia (they're coming to pollute the bloodstream and take our women!). I also remember thinking Harker a bit of a wimp and wondering if that was intentional. 

Here'a nice photo of first edition from my trip to Ireland last summer!

Dracula.jpg