Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Oscars 2020: Best Makeup and Hairstyling

Who WILL win?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Makeup Artists & Hair Stylists Guild nominees:

Best Contemporary Makeup

• Avengers: Endgame
  • Bombshell
  • Hustlers
  • John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum
  • Us

Best Period and/or Character Makeup

• Downton Abbey
  • Dolemite Is My Name
  • Joker
  • Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood
  • Rocketman

Best Special Makeup Effects

• Bombshell
  • Captain Marvel
  • The Irishman
  • It Chapter Two
  • Rocketman

Best Contemporary Hairstyling

• Bombshell
  • Hustlers
  • John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum
  • Joker
  • The Laundromat

Best Period and/or Character Hairstyling

• Downton Abbey
  • Dolemite Is My Name
  • Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
  • Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood
  • Rocketman

So.. Bombshell and Rocketman have 3 nominations each; Downton AbbeyDolemite Is My NameHustlersJohn Wick 3Joker and Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood have 2 nominations each; and Avengers 4Captain MarvelThe IrishmanIt 2The LaundromatMaleficent 2 and Us have 1 nomination each.

The winners will be announced January 11.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The short list:

• Bombshell
  • Dolemite Is My Name
  • Downton Abbey
  • Joker
  • Judy
  • Little Women
  • Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
  • Once upon a Time…in Hollywood
  • Rocketman

So... all of the films with multiple guild nominations are reflected here *except* for Hustlers and John Wick 3. And only *one* of the films with a single guild nomination -- Maleficent: Mistress of Evil -- is reflected here at all.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

On 12/12/2019 at 4:27 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Makeup Artists & Hair Stylists Guild nominees: . . .

So.. Bombshell and Rocketman have 3 nominations each; Downton AbbeyDolemite Is My NameHustlersJohn Wick 3Joker and Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood have 2 nominations each; and Avengers 4Captain MarvelThe IrishmanIt 2The LaundromatMaleficent 2 and Us have 1 nomination each.

The winners will be announced January 11.

And the winners are... Bombshell in all 3 categories it was nominated for (Contemporary Makeup, Special Makeup Effects, Contemporary Hairstyling), Joker for Film Period and/or Character Makeup, and Downton Abbey for Film Period and/or Character Hairstyling. Rocketman, which was tied with Bombshell for most nominations, did not win any awards.

Notably, this is the only guild to announce its *winners* before the Oscar nominations have even been announced.

Vote!

Also, note: the Oscars nominated two of the guild winners (Bombshell and Joker) but not the third (Downton Abbey). The Oscars also nominated two films (Judy and 1917) that weren't even nominated by the guild.