Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Oscars 2020: Best Screenplay (Original)

Who WILL win?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Writers Guild nominees:

• 1917, Written by Sam Mendes & Krysty Wilson-Cairns; Universal Pictures
  • Booksmart, Written by Emily Halpern & Sarah Haskins and Susanna Fogel and Katie Silberman; United Artists Releasing
  • Knives Out, Written by Rian Johnson; Lionsgate
  • Marriage Story, Written by Noah Baumbach; Netflix
  • Parasite, Screenplay by Bong Joon Ho and Han Jin Won, Story by Bong Joon Ho; Neon

Note: the guild has stricter eligibility requirements than the Oscars and other groups do (I think they only accept scripts that are written by guild members...?).

The winner will be announced February 1.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

1 hour ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

Note: the guild has stricter eligibility requirements than the Oscars and other groups do (I think they only accept scripts that are written by guild members...?).

Is Tarantino not a guild member, or ineligible for some other reason? Because I figured he was just about guaranteed to get the Oscar for Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Evan C wrote:
: Is Tarantino not a guild member, or ineligible for some other reason? Because I figured he was just about guaranteed to get the Oscar for Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood.

He is not a guild member, no. Per ComingSoon.net:

Despite winning two Golden Globe Awards last night including Best Screenplay and Best Picture-Musical/Comedy, Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was shut out from the nominations along with Pedro Almodóvar’s Pain & Glory, and Lulu Wang’s The Farewell due to WGA rules. Tarantino has refused to join the WGA ever since a dispute over credit on Oliver Stone’s 1994 film Natural Born Killers, and non-members are shut out of awards consideration from the group. This will not effect his Oscar chances, though.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Wait a minute, does this mean South Korean director Bong Joon Ho is a member of the Writers Guild of America? Huh.

Vote!

Also, note: the Oscars disagreed with the WGA on one of the positions, giving Once upon a Time... in Hollywood the spot that the WGA gave to Booksmart.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway