Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Oscars 2020 - nominations!

And the feature-length nominated films are (with the ones I've seen in bold)...

11 nominations

• Joker -- Picture, director (Todd Phillips), actor (Joaquin Phoenix), adapted screenplay, cinematography, costume design, makeup and hairstyling, film editing, original score, sound editing, sound mixing

10 nominations

• 1917 -- Picture, director (Sam Mendes), original screenplay, cinematography, production design, makeup and hairstyling, visual effects, original score, sound editing, sound mixing
  • Once upon a Time... in Hollywood -- Picture, director (Quentin Tarantino), actor (Leonardo DiCaprio), supporting actor (Brad Pitt), original screenplay, cinematography, production design, costume design, sound editing, sound mixing

10 nominations in 9 categories

• The Irishman -- Picture, director (Martin Scorsese), supporting actor (Al Pacino, Joe Pesci), adapted screenplay, cinematography, production design, costume design, visual effects, film editing

6 nominations

• Jojo Rabbit -- Picture, supporting actress (Scarlett Johansson), adapted screenplay, production design, costume design, film editing
  • Little Women -- Picture, actress (Saoirse Ronan), supporting actress (Florence Pugh), adapted screenplay, costume design, original score
  • Marriage Story -- Picture, actor (Adam Driver), actress (Scarlett Johansson), supporting actress (Laura Dern), original screenplay, original score
  • Parasite -- Picture, director (Bong Joon Ho), original screenplay, production design, film editing, international feature film

4 nominations

• Ford v Ferrari -- Picture, film editing, sound editing, sound mixing

3 nominations

• Bombshell -- Actress (Charlize Theron), supporting actress (Margot Robbie), makeup and hairstyling
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker -- Visual effects, original score, sound editing
  • The Two Popes -- Actor (Jonathan Pryce), supporting actor (Anthony Hopkins), adapted screenplay

2 nominations

• Harriet -- Actress (Cynthia Erivo), original song
  • Honeyland -- International feature film, documentary feature
  • Judy -- Actress (Renee Zellweger), makeup and hairstyling
  • Pain and Glory -- Actor (Antonio Banderas), international feature film
  • Toy Story 4 -- Animated feature, original song

1 nomination

• Ad Astra -- Sound mixing
  • American Factory -- Documentary feature
  • Avengers: Endgame -- Visual effects
  • A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood -- Supporting actor (Tom Hanks)
  • Breakthrough -- Original song
  • The Cave -- Documentary feature
  • Corpus Christi -- International feature film
  • The Edge of Democracy -- Documentary feature
  • For Sama -- Documentary feature
  • Frozen II -- Original song
  • How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World -- Animated feature
  • The Lion King -- Visual effects
  • I Lost My Body -- Animated feature
  • Klaus -- Animated feature
  • Knives Out -- Original screenplay
  • Les Miserables -- International feature film
  • The Lighthouse -- Cinematography
  • Maleficent: Mistress of Evil -- Makeup and hairstyling
  • Missing Link -- Animated feature
  • Richard Jewell -- Supporting actress (Kathy Bates)
  • Rocketman -- Original song

Comments later. First I have to go for a swim.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

2 hours ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

Comments later. First I have to go for a swim.

Best A&F non sequitur ever?

Anyway, my big takeaway isn't disappointment (although the Academy's shutout of A Hidden Life will live in infamy) but amazement at how many nominations, across categories, Parasite received.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I haven't seen it, so perhaps I'm missing something key here, but one of the biggest surprises for me—and probably the least likely to actually win the award—is Ford v Ferrari for Best Picture.

A few random thoughts:

-- If the movie most likely to win Best Picture is the movie with nominations for director, screenplay and film editing, then the odds-on favorites are Joker, The Irishman and Parasite. But 1917 could also be in the mix, as it has the director and screenplay nominations and it is designed to look like one continuous shot, so the editing branch of the Academy might have passed it over just as they ignored Birdman, which was also a simulated one-shot movie and won Best Picture a few years ago.

-- Every actor who has played the Joker on the big screen over the past 30 years has either been nominated for an Oscar for the part (Heath Ledger, Joaquin Phoenix) or was already an Oscar-winner (Jack Nicholson, Jared Leto).

-- I assume Joker has more nominations than any previous comic-book or superhero movie, but I haven't checked yet. (The Dark Knight had eight nominations, and won two.)

-- Is Breakthrough the first "faith-based" film since The Passion of the Christ to be nominated for an Oscar? (Not counting Alone Yet Not Alone, whose nomination was rescinded.)

-- Netflix has more nominees for Best Animated Feature than Disney does.

-- Netflix is actually doing *very* well, with multiple high-profile nominations for The Irishman, Marriage Story and The Two Popes in addition to nominations for American Factory, The Edge of DemocracyI Lost My BodyKlaus and the documentary short Life Overtakes Me.

-- Honeyland is nominated for Best Documentary Feature *and* Best International Feature Film (formerly known as Best Foreign Language Film). Has any other film been nominated in these two categories before?

-- John Drew pointed out on Facebook that this marks the second year in a row that a woman was nominated simultaneously for Best Actress and Best Original Song; last year it was A Star Is Born's Lady Gaga, and this year it's Harriet's Cynthia Erivo.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

If the traditional indicators mean anything (nominated for PGA best picture, SAG best ensemble, and DGA, then Oscar nominations for editing, directing, and screenplay) then the only films to have nominations in all those categories are The Irishman and Parasite, and since The Irishman has 10 noms to Parasite's 6, that would seem to say The Irishman would be the favorite.

However, for the past few years, the best picture winner has not been nominated in at least one of those categories, so Joker's 11 nominations could make it the favorite.

Personally, I think best director is still Tarantino's to lose, so right now I'm inclined to say that will push Once Upon a Time ... In Hollywood to a best picture win as well.

I would love to see either Parasite or The Irishman get it though.

If Parasite did win, that would make it the second film to win the Palme d'Or and the Oscar, the first being 1955's Marty.

EDIT: No, it would be the 3rd. The Lost Weekend won best picture and then played at Cannes in the following year and was one of 10 films to be awarded the Palme d'Or in 1946.

And the other films that have won the Palme d'Or and been nominated for best picture are: Amour, The Tree of Life, The Pianist, Secrets & Lies, Pulp Fiction, The Piano, The Mission, Apocalypse Now, All That Jazz, Taxi Driver, The Conversation, M*A*S*H, and Friendly Persuasion

Edited by Evan C

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

A few more thoughts:

-- Marriage Story is the only film to get acting nominations for both genders (actor: Adam Driver, actress: Scarlett Johansson, supporting actress: Laura Dern). Bombshell and Little Women have two nominations each, both for women, and The Irishman, The Two Popes and Once upon a Time... in Hollywood have two nominations each, both for men.

-- Scarlett Johansson is the 12th actor (and 9th woman) to be nominated in the lead and supporting categories in the same year. Of the eleven predecessors, all but four won one of the awards that they were up for (the four who didn't win *either* award were: Sigourney Weaver, for 1987's Gorillas in the Mist and Working Girl; Emma Thompson, for 1993's The Remains of the Day and In the Name of the Father; Julianne Moore, for 2002's Far from Heaven and The Hours; and Cate Blanchett, for 2007's Elizabeth: The Golden Age and I'm Not There; of those four actresses, Weaver is the only one who has never won an Oscar, either before or after her double nomination).

-- In the celebrity categories (directing and acting), whenever the Oscars parted ways with the guild awards, they tended to skew towards whiter candidates. For directing, the Oscars agreed with four of the DGA nominees but substituted Todd Phillips for Taika Waititi; for lead actress, the Oscars agreed with four of the SAG nominees but substituted Saoirse Ronan for Lupita Nyong'o; for supporting actor, the Oscars agreed with four of the SAG nominees but substituted Anthony Hopkins for Jamie Foxx; and for supporting actress, the Oscars agreed with three of the SAG nominees but substituted Kathy Bates and Florence Pugh for Nicole Kidman and Jennifer Lopez. One possible counterpoint to this is in the lead actor category, where the Oscars nominated Antonio Banderas (for a Spanish-language film!) and SAG did not -- though that gets us into the interesting discussion re: whether Spanish actors are merely European and thus white or closer to Hispanic / Latin American actors and thus non-white. (See earlier discussions re: the fact that the only Latin American actor who has won an acting Oscar in the past 20 years is Traffic's Benicio Del Toro, but the number could go up if we count Spanish actors like No Country for Old Men's Javier Bardem and Vicky Cristina Barcelona's Penelope Cruz as "Hispanic" in some sense.) Then again, the Oscars also nominated Jonathan Pryce, a Welshman, for playing a Latin American of Italian descent in The Two Popes.

Where the Best Picture nominees stand box-office-wise (domestic + foreign = global):

• Joker -- $334.1 + 734.8 = 1,068.9 million
  • Once upon a Time... in Hollywood -- $141.1 + 231.3 = 372.4 million
  • Ford v Ferrari -- $111.4 + 99.5 = 210.9 million
  • Parasite -- $25.4 + 107.1 = 132.4 million
  • Little Women (opened December 25) -- $74.2 + 33.2 = 107.4 million
  • 1917 (went into wide release January 10) -- $39.7 + 23.8 = 63.5 million
  • Jojo Rabbit -- $22.0 + 9.7 = 31.7 million
  • The Irishman -- N/A (Netflix release)
  • Marriage Story -- N/A (Netflix release)

As noted, two of the nominees came out less than a month ago, so they are still raking in the big bucks, while another two nominees are Netflix releases and, thus, no box-office figures are available, at least not domestically (nor would they tell us much even if Netflix *did* make them public).

The Academy hasn't given Best Picture to a bona fide blockbuster since 2003's The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, and it hasn't given Best Picture to a film that earned north of $100 million in North America since 2012's Argo (and even that film was only the 22nd-highest-grossing film of the year, in North America). So it would be very unusual, given recent trends, if Joker won Best Picture this year. And even Once upon a Time... in Hollywood (the 18th-highest-grossing film of the year) and Ford v Ferrari (the 23rd-highest-grossing film of the year) are a little on the too-successful side, arguably. Time will tell how high Little Women and 1917 go.

All that being said, the Academy may be heading in a more populist direction. Last year's winner, Green Book, grossed $85.1 million in North America, which was good enough for 36th place domestically last year, but with $321.8 million *globally* it is the highest-grossing Best Picture winner worldwide since 2010's The King's Speech ($138.8 + 275.4 = 414.2 million).

For whatever that's worth.

The final tally:

4 awards

• Parasite -- Picture, director (Bong Joon Ho), original screenplay, international feature film

3 awards

• 1917 -- Cinematography, visual effects, sound mixing

2 awards

• Ford v Ferrari -- Film editing, sound editing
  • Joker -- Actor (Joaquin Phoenix), original score
  • Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood -- Supporting actor (Brad Pitt), production design

1 award

• American Factory -- Documentary feature
  • Bombshell -- Makeup and hairstyling
  • Jojo Rabbit -- Adapted screenplay
  • Judy -- Actress (Renee Zellweger)
  • Little Women -- Costume design
  • Marriage Story -- Supporting actress (Laura Dern)
  • Rocketman -- Original song
  • Toy Story 4 -- Animated feature

Of the nine Best Picture nominees, the only one that did not win a single award was The Irishman.