Sign in to follow this  
Darren H

The List of Nominations (4/5/2020)

On 4/11/2020 at 9:50 AM, kenmorefield said:

As an aside, we really ought to make television series our next Top 25. 

You know I'm on board for that one.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

I watched Faust for the first time today, which made me wonder how many of our nominated films are essentially about a person facing execution or a terminal illness. I'm not surprised that this would be a common feature—facing one's mortality is certainly an existential/spiritual concern—but I'm also concerned about including cinematic depictions of transcendent moments of happiness, love, and grace on our final list. "Spiritually significant" should encompass joy as well as sorrow.

Also, please watch Stop Making Sense.

1 hour ago, Joel Mayward said:

I watched Faust for the first time today, which made me wonder how many of our nominated films are essentially about a person facing execution or a terminal illness. I'm not surprised that this would be a common feature—facing one's mortality is certainly an existential/spiritual concern—but I'm also concerned about including cinematic depictions of transcendent moments of happiness, love, and grace on our final list. "Spiritually significant" should encompass joy as well as sorrow.

I'd argue the final shot of Faust is a transcendent moment of happiness, love, and grace.

And I watched Stop Making Sense the other night; great nomination that everyone should definitely watch.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

1 hour ago, Joel Mayward said:

50 minutes ago, Evan C said:

I'd argue the final shot of Faust is a transcendent moment of happiness, love, and grace.

I remember that memento mori was a noteworthy thread running through the Top 25 on Waking Up. And I counted up the number of films on the 2011 in which a character died, and it was right around two thirds, and that's not counting quite a few films in which someone had died before the film's depicted events. Many films that depict joy often do so at the very end in a final smile or embrace. And even several films that feature children and a lot of childlike joy do so alongside peril and sorrow. Nothing wrong with that, of course. That's realistic. But there are far, far fewer films that really foreground the joy. That is one great thing about Stop Making Sense. I think this is also why a film like Chariots of Fire is essential for a list of spiritually significant films due to its narrative and cinematic argument for the spiritual significance of joy, pleasure, and physical exuberance.  

On 4/24/2020 at 10:28 AM, Joel Mayward said:

I was literally just having a similar thought just before I pulled up your comment.

I think that a lot of "greatest" film lists skew towards the somber and melancholy, as there is perhaps a natural inclination to associate those moods with seriousness and importance.

The fruits of the spirit are...not democratically represented on this list perhaps!

Just to follow up on that, I've been watching new-to-me films that are on both the nomination list and the sight and sound list...

So far I've watched THE TURIN HORSE, THERE WILL BE BLOOD, THE DEATH OF MR. LAZARESCU, BLUE VELVET, ORDET, THE RED SHOES, and PAISAN.

Whew!

> So far I've watched THE TURIN HORSE, THERE WILL BE BLOOD, THE DEATH OF MR. LAZARESCU, BLUE VELVET, ORDET, THE RED SHOES, and PAISAN.

Wow. That's . . . a lot.

I've been thinking about what it would look like to create a more diverse list, in all senses of the word. I'm pretty melancholic by nature and am at home in more somber material, so it's been really useful for me to be made more conscious of how my personality shapes my taste. Before voting, I might assemble my "ideal" A&F Top 100 and make sure it's balanced across several criteria.