Marcianne Miller

The Mindfulness Movement, TV documentary

MV5BZjMxY2E3ODctZjZjNi00NDY2LWFhNzItMmZj

The Mindfulness Movement –TV documentary

These days it seems we are more connected to information than we are to each other. Multi-tasking is something people brag about. If Stress is not our middle name, then it might be Anxiety, Inflammatory Disease, Obesity or Heart Disease.

Wouldn’t it be miraculous if there were one easy, low-cost solution to such problems? There is--and millions of people world-wide have found it. It doesn’t cost a penny, and you can do it anywhere, anytime, all by yourself.

This wonderful thing is mindfulness – the state of being aware of what is happening to you, when it is happening. Mindfulness can spring from many endeavors, notably music and art. But the simplest way to find mindfulness is to maximize what you do all the time – breathe. By concentrating on the in-and-out movement of your breath, meditating if you will, you train your mind to stay with the present moment, and not be distracted by annoyances from the past, or worries about the future.

Easier said than done, you say? True, being human means your mind keeps chattering. So, as the experts say, you just gently pull yourself back, breathe in and out—and go back to the present. Again, and again if needed. If you practice mindfulness even for a while, devotees and scientists both claim, you’ll get more out of life—more peace and creativity, better sleep, improved health.

The Mindfulness Movement is a full-length documentary, that uses a variety of cinematic techniques to convince us to try mindfulness practice, whether it be general meditation, or such specific efforts as Mindfulness Eating. It covers the history of the movement from Buddhism to secularization. Compelling personal narratives reveal how mindfulness has transformed lives. The growth of the movement is phenomenal, with adherents from groups as disparate as school children, police forces, athletes, prisoners, entertainers and Fortune 500 corporations.

Written and directed by Hollywood veteran Rob Beemer (TVs The Universe), the film keeps your interest every minute, despite the fact that it seems to be about people who appear to be doing nothing. If you wondered what everybody these days is talking about, and why they are so passionate about it, the film is a must-see.

Rent or buy at TheMindfulnessmovement.com. It’s also available as a VOD starting April, 2020.

Time: 1:40. In English. Choice of subtitles in many languages.

Is this a review or an advertisement?

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

1 hour ago, BethR said:

Is this a review or an advertisement?

It's a review. Marci (the author) is a member of NCFCA and SEFCA and an approved critic at Rotten Tomatoes. She is, by her own admission, struggling with the mechanics of posting and conceptualizing the differences between discussion boards and blogs or other online content, but the reviews are hers.

FWIW, I've received many solicitations over the years from people wanting to post ads or sponsored content either here or at 1More Film Blog. When I've entertained them (seldom at 1More Film Blog and never here), I have done so under the condition that it be labeled as such. You will never see an ad posted in the discussion threads on my watch, though I have considered (and rejected for now) the possibility of banner ads in the header or footer. Ultimately, though, and even though A&F has had some periods of ads (either for sponsor organizations or member blogs), I very much like the fact that it is free of ads and the editorial capitulations (or at least pressures) that come with them.

Good to know :)

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

This documentary is an excellent introduction to Mindfulness Meditation -- and there is virtually a cornucopia of info on meditation on the internet, all free. Search for meditation + youtube.com for many lessons on meditation from different teachers. Search on the internet for Eckhart Tolle and you'll find many of his excellent meditation teachings. There is a very good academic course, with several weeks of classes, for free --search for Mindfulness for Well-Being and Peak Performance at the FutureLearn.com site.. Soundstrue.com is also offering many free meditation episodes to introduce their long list of meditation teachers. Good luck!  

Haven’t watched this particular documentary,  but meditation sure seems like an appropriate suggestion during this year of uncertainty and upheaval.

Also - good to have views from an established film critic who is a woman – all too rare on this board! Hope to see more.

Sometimes I think Meditation is the only way I can get through the day these days and this film is a terrific intro. Yes, it's great to be on this board, with so many thoughtful critics.