Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

Announcing the (Preliminary) Results

Recommended Posts

In another thread we kicked around a virtual meet up, so I decided to try to announce the preliminary results via Zoom. I'm totally new to this software, so I'm reading manuals, downloading the software, testing, it...yeah, what could possibly go wrong?

The Zoom free account is limited to 100 attendees (shouldn't be a problem) and no more than 30 minutes. (The plan says 40 but the software only lets me schedule in 15 minute increments.) That won't be much time to do anything other than release the results and have some quick conversation, but we can split off if anyone wants to. 

Here is the invite:

Kenneth Morefield is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Arts & Faith Top 100 Spiritually Significant Films
Time: May 12, 2020 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

See Evan's note below...he will e-mail a link.

As a fall back, you can always add me or my channel on discordapp:

https://discord.gg/zgrHDw

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I think about this, 30 minutes isn't enough time to announce the results, so I'm going to ask Darren to e-mail the results to everyone on Monday so that we all have a little bit of time to process it. Then anyone who wants to come to the Zoom meeting can chat about the results and/or if we want to make any tweaks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be able to host a Zoom meeting with no time limit; let me check and get back on that.

Edit: I can, so I'd be happy to host the meeting so we have more time to announce/discuss the results.

Edited by Evan C

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love this idea - I'm only slightly concerned about security as it relates to a widely accessible meeting. I know Zoom has jumped into action over the past month to address some of the concerns that were making headlines, however as recently as last week I had an acquaintance who was forced to shut down his virtual film premiere after someone bomblasted the meeting with pornography. With these forums being public/scrapable by bots, is there perhaps a more private way to make the invitation link accessible for those who are interested? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If everyone's okay with me hosting it, I can email a link to all who want to participate and set a password.


"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Evan C said:

If everyone's okay with me hosting it, I can email a link to all who want to participate and set a password.

THat's fine by me, Evan. I'll send you an e-mail with some thoughts about agenda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I created a meeting for Tuesday, May 12th at 7:00 pm. I figured it was better to have way too much time than run out, so I set it for two hours, but we can obviously end it sooner than that. I could adjust it to longer if anyone feels that would be extra safe.

I will send the link with the password to the email chain Darren started on Tuesday morning.

If you want to participate and you're not in that chain, message me your email, and I'll include you.


"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2020 at 9:53 AM, Evan C said:

I created a meeting for Tuesday, May 12th at 7:00 pm. I figured it was better to have way too much time than run out, so I set it for two hours, but we can obviously end it sooner than that. I could adjust it to longer if anyone feels that would be extra safe.

Hey, everyone. I actually have a job interview online at the exact time of the meetup (4pm here on the West coast). It would be nice to meet you face to face (or at least face to screen to face), but this interview is one I'm grateful just to haven gotten.

Evan, do you think you could record the meeting and make it available? I'd love to listen in to the discussion after the fact while I do dishes or whatever.

Have fun in an hour!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rob Z said:

Evan, do you think you could record the meeting and make it available? I'd love to listen in to the discussion after the fact while I do dishes or whatever.

As long as everyone's okay with that, yes. That will be one of the first things I ask; I can start recording part way through the meeting.


"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Evan C said:

As long as everyone's okay with that, yes. That will be one of the first things I ask; I can start recording part way through the meeting.

Of course. No pressure if someone would prefer not to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a joy it was to join the Zoom meeting today and meet so many of you face/voice-to-face/voice. I found myself getting emotional. So did Kermit.


P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

 

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Overstreet said:

What a joy it was to join the Zoom meeting today and meet so many of you face/voice-to-face/voice. I found myself getting emotional. So did Kermit.

Likewise. As mentioned by other participants, we should do those calls more often.


"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Christian said:

Likewise. As mentioned by other participants, we should do those calls more often.

I've been doing a social distancing book club and one of the participants pushed for a zoom meeting rather than just message board. 

This might be a way to ressurect film club? If we picked a particular film by month (I think previous film club rotated who got to pick) than we could have a focused discussion of that film.

Or we could just meet and chat informally about whatever...just spitballing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes to all of that.  It was moving and delightful to put faces and voices to folks here, some of whom I've interacted with online for 18 (!) years.  Just as great to meet the newer members, too.  I like the monthly Zoom film club idea - at least start with a movie maybe, but not hold rigorously on topic if productive discussion goes elsewhere.


To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Andrew said:

Yes to all of that.  It was moving and delightful to put faces and voices to folks here, some of whom I've interacted with online for 18 (!) years.  Just as great to meet the newer members, too.  I like the monthly Zoom film club idea - at least start with a movie maybe, but not hold rigorously on topic if productive discussion goes elsewhere.

I'm really glad I could catch the last part of the meetup, and I listened to the earlier conversation as well. Thanks for including the newer folks like me!

Can I just say, Andrew, that because of your A&F avatar, I'd always imagined you as The Dude, and I was pleasantly surprised to see (and I mean this in an entirely complimentary way) that I think you do look like a slightly older version, just more put together :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Rob Z said:

I'm really glad I could catch the last part of the meetup, and I listened to the earlier conversation as well. Thanks for including the newer folks like me!

Can I just say, Andrew, that because of your A&F avatar, I'd always imagined you as The Dude, and I was pleasantly surprised to see (and I mean this in an entirely complimentary way) that I think you do look like a slightly older version, just more put together :)

Ha - this made my day!  If only I'd thought to make myself a White Russian, instead of imbibing an IPA.  Missed opportunities...

(And the Zoom window was probably too small for this to be apparent, but behind me was a poster in stained glass style of the Dude dancing.)


To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Ha - this made my day!  If only I'd thought to make myself a White Russian, instead of imbibing an IPA.  Missed opportunities...

(And the Zoom window was probably too small for this to be apparent, but behind me was a poster in stained glass style of the Dude dancing.)

Nice! I didn't notice that. The thought that crossed my mind was, I wonder if there's a rug in Andrew's office that really ties the room together!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Rob Z said:

Nice! I didn't notice that. The thought that crossed my mind was, I wonder if there's a rug in Andrew's office that really ties the room together!

I'm pretty sure my wife Jessica and I used that quote when we created my home office back in January - Lebowski is quoted at least twice weekly in our home, easily...


To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Count me in for more Zoom chats. That was a great way to make this voting conversation happen.


"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...