Sign in to follow this  
J.R.

Shaun of the Dead

Saw this last night. I'm not into horror movies much. I don't watch many and certainly haven't seen any of the other zombie flicks, but I loved this one. The humor will pull me in every time.

The one thing which always bugged me though was Nick Frost's Ed. I couldn't *stand* him and just can't see why so many folks seemed to love the character. I mean, even his friendship with Shaun is based on his selfishness and irresponcibility. There's nothing endearing in the character and that really bothered me.

Sometimes these sorts of 'dead weight' characters, who sit around being jokey whilst the movie carries on aorund them, can be hilarious (Father Jack in the sitcom Father Ted being one of the better ones) but Ed just didn't work for me. Which surprised me when I went back and watched Spaced as Frost's character there works extremley well.

spoilers1.gif

For me the Ed character makes great sense given the whole of the film -- in the sense that he was a walking dead even before he was bitten, in the sense that he was consuming (time-wise) Shaun as the living and still trying to consume (eat) him in the end, in the sense that his life really did not change after he changed (you yourself even use the term "dead weight"). And Ed seems completely OK with this so his fate makes sense to me.

I can't account for why people may find him endearing, but I do believe the inclusion of his character was a master stroke.

John Leguizamo on Land of the Dead

John Leguizamo, who plays a junkie in Rogue Pictures' Assault on Precinct 13, also stars in George A. Romero's Land of the Dead, which hits screens in October. . . . What does Leguizamo think of the recent 'zombie renaissance' with movies like Shaun of the Dead? "The guys from 'Shaun of the Dead' are in the movie. . . ." He's not sure what "Shaun" stars Simon Pegg and Nick Frost play. "I didn't see that getting shot, so I don't know, but the beauty about Romero is that there's always been a sense of humor about things. I mean, there's always a little bit of a wink to it."

ComingSoon.net, January 18

John Leguizamo on Land of the Dead

stars Simon Pegg and Nick Frost play. "I didn't see that getting shot, so I don't know, but the beauty about Romero is that there's always been a sense of humor about things. I mean, there's always a little bit of a wink to it."

ComingSoon.net, January 18

Frost isn't in Land of the Dead, actually ... it's Pegg and Edgar Wright (shaun's director) and they're both playing zombies ...

Caught this last night, and I'll add myself to the list of fans.

I thought it was a perfectly contructed two act satire. Set-up, knock-down. Not a single gag, device or plot twist wasn't layed out in the first act.

A really fun little send-up of a very bizarre sub-genre.

Saw this last night.  I'm not into horror movies much.  I don't watch many and certainly haven't seen any of the other zombie flicks, but I loved this one.  The humor will pull me in every time.

The one thing which always bugged me though was Nick Frost's Ed. I couldn't *stand* him and just can't see why so many folks seemed to love the character. I mean, even his friendship with Shaun is based on his selfishness and irresponcibility. There's nothing endearing in the character and that really bothered me.

Sometimes these sorts of 'dead weight' characters, who sit around being jokey whilst the movie carries on aorund them, can be hilarious (Father Jack in the sitcom Father Ted being one of the better ones) but Ed just didn't work for me. Which surprised me when I went back and watched Spaced as Frost's character there works extremley well.

spoilers1.gif

For me the Ed character makes great sense given the whole of the film -- in the sense that he was a walking dead even before he was bitten, in the sense that he was consuming (time-wise) Shaun as the living and still trying to consume (eat) him in the end, in the sense that his life really did not change after he changed (you yourself even use the term "dead weight"). And Ed seems completely OK with this so his fate makes sense to me.

I can't account for why people may find him endearing, but I do believe the inclusion of his character was a master stroke.

I just saw this this evening, but I think that this is a great observation.

Why, thank you. Every once in while something comes out of my brain besides moths.

...A legitimate zombie romcom. 

A zomromcom?