2020 Top 100 -- Discussion and Blurbs

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, RobM said:

I believe "Blade Runner" should be 1982, not 1962

Thanks Rob. (I had a detached retina in one eye that makes screen reading difficult, so I've long been a notoriously poor proofreader. I appreciate your catching that one.)

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

Thanks - I'll try again later today or tomorrow, and if unsuccessful, I'll email you the info.

In entering in the shell for Timbuktu, I was reminded that the "Language" entry can cause this error if there are too many languages entered. If there are more than 3 or 4 I usually limit myself to the first three. I suspect this could be an issue with Embrace of the Serpent. Also make sure if you have more than one language in that box that they are separated by commas. 

56 minutes ago, kenmorefield said:

In entering in the shell for Timbuktu, I was reminded that the "Language" entry can cause this error if there are too many languages entered. If there are more than 3 or 4 I usually limit myself to the first three. I suspect this could be an issue with Embrace of the Serpent. Also make sure if you have more than one language in that box that they are separated by commas. 

Yep, that was the issue - thanks!

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

7 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

A Brighter Summer Day

I'm currently doing a chronological watch of all Yang's films that I can (finished In Our Time and Taipei Story last week), so I'd be ok with doing it if no one else wants it (though I'm a bit conscious of being the "Asian cinema guy" on this list).

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

2 minutes ago, Anders said:

I'm currently doing a chronological watch of all Yang's films that I can (finished In Our Time and Taipei Story last week), so I'd be ok with doing it if no one else wants it (though I'm a bit conscious of being the "Asian cinema guy" on this list).

I am pretty sure I could reassign After Life or Still Life if you don't want to be bombarded with Asian stuff.  (And both have existing blurbs from past lists so they aren't quite as pressing, though I want everyone to feel free to redo past blurbs if they want.)

Ok, I'll let you know ASAP.

1 minute ago, kenmorefield said:

I am pretty sure I could reassign After Life or Still Life if you don't want to be bombarded with Asian stuff.  (And both have existing blurbs from past lists so they aren't quite as pressing, though I want everyone to feel free to redo past blurbs if they want.)

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

I am doing some non-board related work this morning until 12:30. I'll try to get Top 25 shells populated this afternoon so that they just need blurbs. If people volunteer for Top 25 blurbs please prioritize them over others. 

By the way, Gareth has graciously agreed to host an introduction I write at The Porch, so I'll be working on that this week.

In general, I will *try* if someone has previously written blurb on a film (for another list) to give him/her first dibs on revising or revisiting it. There may be instances where that is not desired and which case my second choice would be a new writer revising it. My third choice would be keeping the old blurb with an annotation giving the date of the list from which it was taken. 

Please keep in mind the request from previous discussion (especially the Zoom meeting) that if you are doing a blurb for a film where the director had more than one film scoring high enough tor the Top 100 to "contextualize" that in your comments. 

I'll also try to spread the Top 10 and Top 25 around. I went ahead and assigned:

Andrei Rublev -- Overstreet

The Kid With a Bike -- Joel M.

Ikiru -- Andrew S.

Babette's Feast -- Evan C.

as these are long standing members of the community who have expressed an ongoing interest in these auteurs.

I specifically want to keep SDG's previous blurb on It's a Wonderful Life unless he wants to tweak it. 

As Do the Right Thing, Tree of Life, and First Reformed are new to the list and high ranking, these blurbs are pretty important. Andrew has already done I Am Not Your Negro and Embrace of the Serpent, so I'm a little concerned about pigion-holding him for the "black" films. I've written about First Reformed elsewhere and I'm not a particular Malick guy, so I'm anxious about these titles.

From the Top 25 I'll probably want to do Night of the Hunter blurb. I feel like I *should* do Ordet, but that feels a little cheeky since I'm also writing the introduction. Jeff has volunteered for that, but as I'd like him to do Andrei Rublev, having the same person do #1 and #2 might not be ideal. 

14 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Sounds good to me - I just posted my Cave of Forgotten Dreams blurb, so I'll move on to Kurosawa next.

Andrew, I just now noticed that you aren't signing your blurbs. Is that by design or oversight? I'd prefer not to have anonymous blurbs, but I am not sure I want to make it a mandate. For right now just seeking to understand.

P.S. I copied the Ikiru shell so you don't have to reenter the data.

2 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

Andrew, I just now noticed that you aren't signing your blurbs. Is that by design or oversight? I'd prefer not to have anonymous blurbs, but I am not sure I want to make it a mandate.

Oops...I definitely want to sign my blurbs by name and with a hyperlink to Secular Cinephile.  Is there a way for to go in and edit, or do you need to do that?

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

Happy to take Do The Right Thing or First Reformed. I could not tell from your comment, Ken, if you wanted to take First Reformed or not.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I'll volunteer for SILENCE, and will happily do SECRET SUNSHINE afterwards.  Thanks for thinking of me.  If there are others you want to assign me, Ken, feel free.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In writing the blurb for Ordet and trying to contextualize, I concluded by asking any A&F member who wanted to, whether a voter or not, to add a sentence or two about the film or Dreyer and what you think it has meant to this group. If your account says "Top 100 Writer" you may do so by clicking on the "Manage Film" entry in the upper corner and selecting "Edit." Just go to the end and add your comment and sign it. If you prefer to send me your comment by message, I'll add it for you. If you would like to write one but aren't yet assigned a blurb, let me know and I'll change your admin "permissions" so that you can edit the entry.

http://artsandfaith.com/index.php?/films/film/368-ordet/

1 hour ago, M. Leary said:

Happy to take Do The Right Thing or First Reformed. I could not tell from your comment, Ken, if you wanted to take First Reformed or not.

I asked Kevin Sampson (who has been on the last two Ecumenical Juries) to do the blurb for Do the Right Thing because given the state of the world at the moment it just felt necessary to have a Black writer do that one if willing. He graciously agreed.

Mike, I'd love to have you do First Reformed, a really challenging film to write about, and I know you'll do it well.

16 minutes ago, Russ said:

I'll volunteer for SILENCE, and will happily do SECRET SUNSHINE afterwards.  Thanks for thinking of me.  If there are others you want to assign me, Ken, feel free.  

Thanks Russ, a big affirmative on both.

Okay I guess I’ve got to sign up for four more: 

Of Gods and Men (2010)
The Miracle Maker (2000)
Into Great Silence (2005)
The Flowers of St. Francis (1950)

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

1 hour ago, SDG said:

Okay I guess I’ve got to sign up for four more: 

Of Gods and Men (2010)
The Miracle Maker (2000)
Into Great Silence (2005)

Steven, happy to greenlight any of those, and I think the shells are up with previous blurbs, so let me know if you need instructions on how to edit their pages.

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

P.S.  I think my blurbs on Late Spring and Grave of the Fireflies from lists of yore have held up well, so I'm content keeping them as is.

Do you mean Tokyo Story? I don't think Late Spring was there...or did I copy the wrong one from Round 2?

On 5/23/2020 at 12:56 PM, Darren H said:

Here are the films from my original 25 nominations that made the final cut. Asterisk beside the ones I've advocated for most strongly over the years. Two asterisks beside the ones I'd love to write about.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Beau travail (1999) **
Close-Up (1990)
Frisco Jenny (1932) **
In a Lonely Place (1950) *
In Praise of Love (2001) *
My Night at Maud's (1969)
Night and Fog (1956)
Ordet (1955)
Still Life (2006) *
The Gleaners & I (2000)
The Grapes of Wrath (1940)
What Time Is It There? (2001) **

I didn't end up nominating Heartbeat Detector (I chose In Praise of Love for that slot instead), but I'd enjoy writing about it too.

Darren, you okay with doing Night and Fog and My Night at Maud's?

A couple of people have put in for 2001 -- Leary what's your feeling about that? If you want to keep or revise your previous blurb, I feel like that's seniority, but if you if you want to open the door for ssomeone else, I'll reassign.

On 5/23/2020 at 12:11 PM, Overstreet said:

I'd be up for blurbing some of the following — but not all of them — from #26–100:

•  
  • Three Colors: Blue
  •  

Jeff, right now the blurb is yours from 2010/11. You are welcome to amend, revise or update it or let me know if you want to keep it as is. This one should be yours.

I posted the Amadeus blurb and started working on Babette's Feast. If no one's asked for The Red Shoes yet, I'll happily do that, but I'll cede if someone else wants to do it.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro