Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

Elbow

A handful of their albums have generated threads over the years, but howzabout a thread just dedicated to the band itself?  I think I discovered them only four or so years ago, but a number of their songs are now on frequent play at home or on the road:  Mirrorball, With Love, The Birds (probably my favorite), Real Life (Angel), Magnificent.

Guy Garvey's voice is the immediate draw; I think one AllMusic critic likened it to the feel of soft flannel, which seems apt.  The music itself is welcoming, gentle, and humane, hardly easy listening but inviting like an old friend's porch on a cheery day.  And the lyrics contain plenty of inventive twists and metaphors to keep me coming back (see, again, The Birds).

During the shelter in place, they've been dropping lovely renditions of their songs onto YouTube 1-2 times weekly.  (It's worth sticking around after the credits, for the occasional charming bonbon at the very end.)  Here's one: 

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

Outside of Radiohead and Over the Rhine, this is my favorite band making music today. 

Once I'd spent enough time listening to Garvey's voice to stop thinking he was Peter Gabriel in disguise — their cover of "Mercy Street" resembles the original so much, it's uncanny — I started marveling at what a fantastic vocalist he is. The lyrics are always substantial, the stylistic range awe-inspiring, and the musicianship confident and constantly inventive. Live, they are out of this world. (I saw them in Seattle on the Little Fictions tour, and they surpassed my high expectations.) 

"The Birds" may be my favorite song of theirs too, but there are so many contenders. "My Sad Captains," "Grounds for Divorce," and "Lippy Kids" are way up there, along with the recent "My Trouble." I love the version of "Kindling (Fickle Flame)" that features John Grant. But the whole record of The Take Off and Landing of Everything rates with the very best albums I've heard in the last decade.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

7 hours ago, Overstreet said:

Live, they are out of this world. (I saw them in Seattle on the Little Fictions tour, and they surpassed my high expectations.) 

After Nightwish and Peter Gabriel (if he does another tour), they're the band I'm most keen to see in concert.  Given the videos of live performances I've watched on YouTube, I didn't imagine they'd be anything but fabulous onstage.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/