Sign in to follow this  
MetroFilmProduktion

Content and Intent

I’m new to this site and have been reading some of the posts about profanity in Christian films. I believe that the depiction of violence is an even more important and related consideration.

But to both of these concerns, my position as a filmmaker is that intent is the key.

Looking to the Bible, most especially the Hebrew Scriptures, we see murders, rapes, tortures and during the siege of Jerusalem, a dispute between two women over the eating of their babies.

But these things are there in order to forward God’s message and purposes.

As a filmmaker, I will use profanity and violence if it is there to achieve an end that I am comfortable with in my heart.

Tarantino - no

Dreyer, Pasolini and Tarkovsky - yes

Edited by MetroFilmProduktion
Misspelling

8 hours ago, MetroFilmProduktion said:

I’m new to this site and have been reading some of the posts about profanity in Christian films. I believe that the depiction of violence is an even more important and related consideration.

Greetings. Should you feel so inclined, the Introductions thread allows people to get a sense of new participants and allows new participants to indicate some of their interests.

Judging another's intent seems more difficult to me than judging a work of art, but I agree (and I think I've heard others here say so as well) that these sorts of discussions often strain at the gnats of language and swallow the camels of violence. It's interesting that you list Pasolini as one of your two "yes" examples. I found Salo nearly impossible to watch all the way through, though I suspect his intent in making the film was to say something about violence and fascism that was true. 

I'm also not sure how to parse the opening sentence ("...profanity in Christian films...") given the examples you conclude with. By a "Christian" film, I generally mean the product of a Christian production company or a film intentionally participating in the creation of films specifically directed and marketed to Christians. But perhaps you mean the product of Christian auteurs? I'm not sure how Tarantino's films fit either definition.

Suppose I jumped around a bit there.

And I couldn't finish SALO, either. Suppose I meant the slaughter of the innocents scene in GOSPEL ACCORDING TO MATTHEW and a short he once made about an actor playing Christ who was actually crucified. I should have included Scorsese for LAST TEMPTATION, but that's an outlier. He's another one who uses sex, violence and profanity in a way that I'd consider  gratuitous.

That's why I added Tarantino at the end. He was just someone who I think uses these elements as ends in themselves. I didn't mean to suggest that he was a religious filmmaker. Just a depraved individual.