Moviegoing During a Pandemic

3 hours ago, Michael S said:

Andrew and Ken -- thanks. Seems like I need to cast a wider net (movie theater websites, online media and film reviews, etc.). For the most part, I've been sticking with Amazon Prime and the Criterion Channel but would like to access a wider array of new releases, especially since I don't intend to return to movie theaters anytime soon and since there's really no telling how long the pandemic will last.

Here's a link for Kino Marquee with a list of Kino Lorber films and the local cinema they support: https://kinomarquee.com/

I follow Alamo on Demand because there is an Alamo Drafthouse in Raleigh: https://ondemand.drafthouse.com/

Time Magazine argues that transmission is more aerosols than droplets: https://time.com/5883081/covid-19-transmitted-aerosols/

The smoking analogy is very helpful for conceptualizing. 

This would also explain why theaters are problematic since aerosols can linger, though this article seems to indicate that proximity is a bigger issue.

This is only somewhat related, but I just ordered a portable, 100-inch screen with the idea that I might start inviting friends over for safe, outdoor movie nights. The projector I bought five years ago when we started The Public Cinema has been sitting unused for nearly a year. The screen hasn't arrived yet, but it looks like I should be able to remove the legs and hang the screen in my basement too. Since I'm not sure when I'll ever get to go back to a festival or a theater, I'm getting desperate for a more cinematic experience. I'll post pics if it works out like I hope.

9 hours ago, Darren H said:

This is only somewhat related, but I just ordered a portable, 100-inch screen with the idea that I might start inviting friends over for safe, outdoor movie nights. The projector I bought five years ago when we started The Public Cinema has been sitting unused for nearly a year. The screen hasn't arrived yet, but it looks like I should be able to remove the legs and hang the screen in my basement too. Since I'm not sure when I'll ever get to go back to a festival or a theater, I'm getting desperate for a more cinematic experience. I'll post pics if it works out like I hope.

I'm doing something similar on my screened in porch. Main issues so far have been having to start later for darkness, sound of cicadas. I tried a bigger screen for a yard showing but it wasn't stable.

porch.jpg

I haven't tried it outside yet, but I'm really pleased with how it looks in my basement. My only small complaint is I wish I could've paid a little extra to have the screen shipped to me rolled instead of folded. The frame works really well and pulls the screen taut, but when the center of the image is really bright, the crease from the fold is hard to ignore.

screen3.jpeg

screen2.jpeg

screen1.jpeg

This was in NYT Today: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/15/business/media/tenet-movie-theaters-coronavirus.html?auth=linked-facebook&campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200916&instance_id=22233&nl=the-morning&regi_id=66845518&section_index=4&section_name=play_watch_eat_cube&segment_id=38240&te=1&user_id=0c6043332b82de93c9e6bacec2c2e437

After five months of pandemic-forced closure, the big movie theater chains reopened in roughly 68 percent of the United States by Labor Day weekend, in large part so they could show the $200 million film, which Warner Bros. promoted as “a global tent pole of jaw-dropping size, scope and scale.” But “Tenet,” directed by the box office heavyweight Christopher Nolan, instead arrived with a whimper: It collected $9.4 million in its first weekend in North America and just $29.5 million over its first two weeks.

Theaters remain closed in New York and Los Angeles, the two biggest markets in the United States and the center of Mr. Nolan’s fan base. In the areas where “Tenet” did play, audience concern about safety — even with theater capacity limited to 50 percent or less in most locations — likely hurt ticket sales. Box office analysts also noted that “Tenet” is a complicated, cerebral movie with little star power; a frothier, more escapist offering may have had an easier time coaxing people back to cinemas.

Whatever the reason, the bottom line was strikingly clear: People aren’t going to the movies at anywhere close to the numbers that Hollywood hoped, and things are not expected to improve in the near term. Studios are postponing big movies again — “Wonder Woman 1984” retreated last week, prompting at least three studios to convene meetings on Monday to discuss how to proceed with other scheduled releases — leaving theater owners without much new to offer for the next two months. Some analysts have started to re-sound alarm bells about the future of the theater business.

Interesting results from Pew Research Center. Only 51% of Americans surveyed say they would "Definitely" or "Probably" get a COVID-19 vaccine today if one were available. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2020/09/17/u-s-public-now-divided-over-whether-to-get-covid-19-vaccine/

I guess that is a double whammy consequence of the science denial in out culture. The obvious effect of those who listen to politicians rather than health experts and the tier of those who fear that the administration will rush a trial or vaccine for political purposes and we'll have Thalidomide Part II or something....