Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

Shine (1996)

I mentioned this film late in Zoom chat. Evan, here is a link to the article in the Chicago Tribune I mentioned that I read after Cindy and I attended the Chicago leg of the "Shine Tour"

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1997-04-06-9704050246-story.html

He's not as negative as I remember, but it's funny he actually brings up P.T. Barnum:

There always has been an element of the circus in the marketing of classical music--think of Jenny Lind, "the Swedish nightingale," and impresario P.T. Barnum around the turn of the century. But "The Shine Tour" goes well beyond anything serious music in this country has seen.

The Helfgott phenomenon probably will rank a footnote in our cultural annals as one of those odd moments when a classical music performer, hyped out of all proportion, excited the popular imagination in an unprecedented way. There are those who will come away from Helfgott's recitals touched by his apparent courage, and good for them. Others will come away deeply disturbed by what they can interpret only as yet another victory of marketing over music.

I'd say that's a pretty negative review, even if it's more directed toward the people he thinks are exploiting Helfgott. But I'll definitely seek out the film.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro