Sign in to follow this  
Mark

Popcorn

OK, here's one of those math-class word problems for y'all.

The local video store is running a contest. If you've got 48 bags each containing 50 pounds of popcorn kernels, how many small bags of popcorn will it make? (small bags contain approx. 1 cup of popped corn)

Last night I saw the palate full of popcorn bags and quickly tried to work out a calculation. Forty-eight bags times 50 pounds is 2,400 pounds of unpopped corn. Figuring that one pound of unpopped corn would make approx. 10 1-cup bags, I guessed that one 50-pound bag would make approx. 500 small bags of popped corn -- times 48 equals 24,000.

In the light of day that guess sounds low, as I'm thinking that one pound of kernels would make a lot more than 10 1-cup bags. I've already entered so it won't be cheating to ask for outside guesses. (at risk is a $20 gift certificate)

Anyone have a guess, educated or otherwise? I'll share the correct answer as soon as they post it.

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

Well, you'd need to know:

[a] the number of unpopped kernels per ounce;

the number of popped kernels per cup.

Your formula then would be 2,400 lbs. x 16 oz./lb. x a kernels/oz., divided by b kernels per cup.

I have a postal scale here at work ... if I had a bag of microwave popcorn I could figure this out.

But say there are 20 popped kernels per cup and 100 unpopped kernels per ounce. In Orville Redenbacher's world you'd have 192,000 cups of popcorn.

Edited by mrmando

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.