Ron Reed

TWIN PEAKS

NBooth   

Entertainment Weekly has details. Not many, but there's a glimpse at the photoshoot for the print issue and a taste of what will be in it. Here's EW's 40-minute reunion special.

On 2/27/2017 at 2:40 PM, Tyler Beane Kelly said:

Under 3 months until Twin Peaks much-anticipated return! Are you folks planning on subscribing to a Showtime streaming service to watch?

I'm gonna get them on Amazon, even if it means subscribing to Showtime. I'm that excited.

Edited by NBooth

Genuinely curious (and genuinely lazy) - does anyone know if some of the major actors from the original series who are not set to reprise their roles have commented on the revival? I'm thinking of folks like Richard Beymer (79!), Michael Ontkean, Michael J. Anderson (though I see now Anderson apparently made some serious accusations against David Lynch?), etc...

Edited by winter shaker

NBooth   

Woah. I hadn't seen those Anderson accusations, but they sound like sour grapes to me. Jennifer denied them, for whatever it's worth (which, in cases like this, is a variable). [To be clear, the idea that a figure as universally beloved as Lynch could be a rapist is not, unfortunately, unimaginable; the idea that he could be verbally abusive, ditto--even though both go against everything anyone's ever said about Lynch as a person. The idea that he was both of those things and managed the murder of Jack Nance? Stretches the imagination somewhat.]

Didn't Ontkean retire? He's too busy in Hawaii to bother with Twin Peaks.

Afaik, Laurie simply wasn't asked back. She commented that she was surprised by that fact. Neither was Chen asked back, but I think Frost has said that was because they couldn't figure out how to get her out of the drawer-pull (and, honestly, Chen never got good material anyway). [Oh, here's EW on both of them]

Edited by NBooth

M. Leary   

Those accusations were made by Michael J. Anderson on a big ol' Facebook post. This is the only time anyone has ever made such a suggestion about Lynch, and his daughter commented on social media to that effect. 

But I also don't see Creamed Corn in the casting for this season, so I imagine Lynch has a different vision now for the evil obverse of our reality.

NBooth   
2 hours ago, M. Leary said:

But I also don't see Creamed Corn in the casting for this season, so I imagine Lynch has a different vision now for the evil obverse of our reality.

You know who is in the cast, though? Christophe Zajac-Denek. Granted, he could be doing literally anything in the show, but I've certainly seen people speculating that The Man From Another Place is going to be the man with another face (which matches up with a stray line in the finale of season 2 [I think? Or from FWWM]

M. Leary   
1 hour ago, NBooth said:

but I've certainly seen people speculating 

Can only imagine how active Twin Peaks forums are right now.

NBooth   

M. Leary   

I was so wrong about Season 2. I was in the Season 2 = bad camp, but both seasons of this show are still better than (or at least on par with the best of) anything of the quality TV era. For example, one can see a pretty clear genetic link between TP and Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul, particularly in the second season of TP. All of these shows use complicated shots, angles, and lighting to frame a following scene with psychological depth. It seems TP got here first, even though this kind of cinematography is touted as mark of our current era.

NBooth   
5 minutes ago, M. Leary said:

I was so wrong about Season 2. I was in the Season 2 = bad camp, but both seasons of this show are still better than (or at least on par with the best of) anything of the quality TV era.

When I did my own re-watch about a month ago, I was surprised to discover that the worst bits of Season 2 are more or less clustered in a group of four or so episodes. And some of the most iconic TP stuff is actually early season 2.

For example, one can see a pretty clear genetic link between TP and Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul, particularly in the second season of TP. All of these shows use complicated shots, angles, and lighting to frame a following scene with psychological depth. It seems TP got here first, even though this kind of cinematography is touted as mark of our current era.

I've not watched enough of either of those shows, but this seems right. I'd say you can also see TP's fingerprints in shows like The Sopranos, to say nothing of more obviously-related series like--oh--anything by Bryan Fuller. 

Edited by NBooth

M. Leary   
22 hours ago, NBooth said:

I've not watched enough of either of those shows, but this seems right. I'd say you can also see TP's fingerprints in shows like The Sopranos, to say nothing of more obviously-related series like--oh--anything by Bryan Fuller. 

Amen. Not to mention that Duchovny's character is essentially the same in X-Files. Same diction and line reading. Same "I was an agent and had to do this thing and then ended up becoming that thing..." shtick.

Edited by M. Leary

NBooth   

Here's our best look at the new season yet. Ten days!

M. Leary   

Wow. The DV tones and palette feel much different, but yet so familiar.

This most recent link makes Fargo look pretty derivative by comparison.

NBooth   

Wow. Wow wow wow. 

I won't have anything more substantive to say until I've watched the premier again. 

But wow. 

NBooth   
1 hour ago, Mr. Arkadin said:

Aside from the brief Michael Cera cameo, this is magnificent. 

I'll admit to laughing at that scene, but it wasn't terribly in keeping with, well, anything around it.

I broke down and watched all four episodes last night and re-watched the first two this morning. There's just nothing quite like this. Lynch is in full post-Mulholland Drive mode here--there's very little that directly replicates the original tv show (even when lines are directly replicated). It's bigger (more settings, less time spent in Twin Peaks itself) and distinctly more melancholy, particularly in scenes involving actors who died during the production of the show. The fetishized markings of small-town life that gave the original a reputation for being "quirky" are nearly all gone, just as the music is nearly entirely replaced with the trademark Lynchian industrial hum.

And yet--weird and freaky as the show is--there's still that distinct Lynchian humanism, which sometimes gets forgotten in the midst of all the dancing little people and Frank Booth-style maniacs. Hawk, a beloved but secondary character in the original series, takes on a central role here (that's not a spoiler, right? Saying a character we knew was in it is important?). There's a lovely scene in the fourth episode involving two characters--one new, one returning--that made me grin at its simple good-naturedness. 

It's the central paradox of Lynch himself--not just the banal and the horrific existing side-by-side (as per DFW), but the beatific and the horrific co-existing in duality one with the other. I think of the last scenes of Blue Velvet--which I rewatched on Saturday--and the ways in which the conclusion can and has been read as ironic: the robin is fake, the shots recapitulate the opening montage, etc etc etc--but I'm not convinced Lynch is ironic, or at least in the way that would suggest that he doesn't believe in the robin. I mean, the choice of music over that last sequence in Blue Velvet certainly recontextualizes the fakeness of the opening view of Lumberton....

Back to Twin Peaks--Matt Zoller Seitz has argued that the emotions in the original series feel too raw, so raw that viewers want to take them ironically, but that Lynch manifestly doesn't. There's nothing quite so raw here, yet--nothing like Mrs. Palmer's meltdown in the pilot episode of the original series--but there is a fundamental decency about several characters--Hawk, Cole, etc etc etc--that stands out, I think, even more clearly against the nightmare turn the show has taken (and it is a nightmare turn--Lynch spends probably more time in the Black Lodge just in these four episodes than he spent in most of the original show's run). And that's fascinating to me.

The weight of time is all over this series, not just in the weathered faces and voices of our beloved characters, but in the sense that the status quo of the world has changed, that things were lost that can't be recovered, and the darkness of the world remains as baffling and terrible as ever.

The moment where Badalamenti's "Laura" theme returns in its most prominent statement--for me, one of the most moving moments in these first four episodes--sums this all up. It's not empty fanservice, but a deep statement of loss, of the effects of entropy on communities and people.

Edited by Mr. Arkadin

NBooth   
25 minutes ago, Mr. Arkadin said:

The moment where Badalamenti's "Laura" theme returns in its most prominent statement--for me, one of the most moving moments in these first four episodes--sums this all up. It's not empty fanservice, but a deep statement of loss, of the effects of entropy on communities and people.

That scene got me.

M. Leary   

That was quite affective. Also

Bobby crying when he sees Laura's photo

The weight of time is all over this series, not just in the weathered faces and voices of our beloved characters, but in the sense that the status quo of the world has changed, that things were lost that can't be recovered, and the darkness of the world remains as baffling and terrible as ever.

There is something about myself being older as well. I can't quite lay a finger on it, but there is something richer or heavier about the series each time I watch it. I guess I bring more personal history to it, which sadly over the past decade has been marked by significant loss. I have always resisted indulging this kind of reader response, as it lacks much critical precision, but it is hard to resist.

M. Leary   
22 hours ago, Mr. Arkadin said:

Aside from the brief Michael Cera cameo, this is magnificent. 

I actually did not mind this at all, and was grateful for the comedy of it. Wally Brando. Come on, that's funny. What else could we expect as the son of Andy and Lucy? They have produced a wanderer. But a self-aware, respectful, winsome wanderer. I do like the way this scene underscores the lines of family and history in Twin Peaks. When Wally comes back to TP, I imagine he feels the same way as I do when I return to the church I grew up in.

20 hours ago, NBooth said:

Back to Twin Peaks--Matt Zoller Seitz has argued that the emotions in the original series feel too raw, so raw that viewers want to take them ironically, but that Lynch manifestly doesn't. There's nothing quite so raw here, yet--nothing like Mrs. Palmer's meltdown in the pilot episode of the original series--but there is a fundamental decency about several characters--Hawk, Cole, etc etc etc--that stands out, I think, even more clearly against the nightmare turn the show has taken (and it is a nightmare turn--Lynch spends probably more time in the Black Lodge just in these four episodes than he spent in most of the original show's run). And that's fascinating to me.

Yeah, I find MSZ's comments on TP really odd, considering he finds no irony in the very raw and melodramatic The Leftovers. If anything, everything in this season is far more restrained than the first two seasons. And in the first two seasons, the odd variety of emotional expression we see in characters is mostly a by product of poor scripting and directing. Ben Horne, for example, must be taken ironically in the second season, just because Frost began using him as comic relief.

In contrast, there is a very distinct turn toward comic relief in Season 3 (like Wild at Heart funny), but it does not feel ironic at all. It is cathartic.

We are essentially watching someone learn how to walk again. Who expected that Cooper, the person most in control during the Palmer investigation, would emerge from Black Lodge the 

least in control? This is not irony, it is just darn good storytelling and acting.

The weight of time is all over this series, not just in the weathered faces and voices of our beloved characters, but in the sense that the status quo of the world has changed...

Andy and Lucy are lovely in this respect.

1 minute ago, M. Leary said:

Andy and Lucy are lovely in this respect.

Yes. Their scenes are so bittersweet that it makes me want to cry.

That what - excuse me - a damn fine premiere.

My favourite moments were

when the show first returns to the Bang Bang Bar and James is looking towards Shelly and then Shelly says "James is still cool. He's

always been cool." to her friends. That just felt good somehow, seeing characters we left as high school students age and come back (and I found James totally annoying during the original run), but even that line sounds like some vague high school cliche. But my favourite fun scene was with Andy, Lucy, and Hawk looking at the evidence and wondering "Does the bunny have to do with my heritage?"

I watched Twin Peaks for the first time only about 4-5 years ago so it does feel nostalgic in some sense, but not nearly as nostalgic for those who watched it when it first appeared in 1990 (I was born that year, but before it premiered) or for those who perhaps watched it while in high school and who could connect with characters like James, Donna, Laura, Bobby, etc...in fact, since I didn't rewatch the original two seasons I had trouble remembering who was a returning character and who was new (e.g. Bobby).

Edited by winter shaker

NBooth   
On 5/23/2017 at 1:34 PM, rjkolb said:

Episode 4 is laugh out loud funny. 

Just rewatched it, and yes. I'm still not sold on Cera, entirely, but I veered wildly during that scene between laughing out loud and cringing, so I think it's doing something right.

The real scene-stealer, though, is Sonny Jim, whose wordless interactions with Coop are the highlight of the episode.