• Dick Johnson Is Dead
  • My Octopus Teacher
  • Softie
  • A Thousand Cuts
  • Time
  • The Truffle Hunters.

The winner will be announced March 24.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Oscars’ Animated, Documentary and International Feature Submissions Revealed
In the documentary feature realm, a record 238 docs are among the contenders, crushing the record of 170 submissions from 2017. Among the pics is Amazon Studios’ “Time,” which won the Los Angeles Film Critics Association, National Board of Review and New York Film Critics Circle awards for best documentary. It’s the first film since Sarah Polley’s “Stories We Tell” (2012) to win the big three critics’ prizes. However, Polley’s movie failed to get an Academy Awards nomination. . . .
See the complete list of documentary feature submission on the Academy website.
Variety, January 28

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Thanks, Ken. Glad I can still get back in the swing of things, here!

The shortlist, with the ones I have seen in bold:

• “All In: The Fight for Democracy”
  • “Boys State”
  • “Collective”
  • “Crip Camp”
  • “Dick Johnson Is Dead”
  • “Gunda”
  • “MLK/FBI”
  • “The Mole Agent”
  • “My Octopus Teacher”
  • “Notturno”
  • “The Painter and the Thief”
  • “76 Days”
  • “Time”
  • “The Truffle Hunters”
  • “Welcome to Chechnya”

Four films made both the PGA nominations and the Oscar shortlist: Dick Johnson Is DeadMy Octopus TeacherTime and The Truffle Hunters.

The Writers Guild of America nominees in this category (with the ones I have seen in bold):

• All In: The Fight for Democracy, Written by Jack Youngelson; Amazon Studios
  • The Dissident, Written by Mark Monroe and Bryan Fogel; Briarcliff Entertainment
  • Herb Alpert Is…, Written by John Scheinfeld; Abramorama
  • Red Penguins, Written by Gabe Polsky; Universal Pictures
  • Totally Under Control, Written by Alex Gibney; Neon

All In: The Fight for Democracy is the only WGA nominee that made the Oscar shortlist, and there is *no* overlap between the WGA nominees and the PGA nominees.

I got e-mails with screening links for two of the WGA nominees that I have *not* seen yet. I wonder if those links still work...

The winner will be announced March 21.