Oscars 2021: Best Documentary Feature

Who WILL win?  

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Producers Guild Award nominees:

• David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet
  • Dick Johnson Is Dead
  • My Octopus Teacher
  • Softie
  • A Thousand Cuts
  • Time
  • The Truffle Hunters.

The winner will be announced March 24.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Oscars’ Animated, Documentary and International Feature Submissions Revealed
In the documentary feature realm, a record 238 docs are among the contenders, crushing the record of 170 submissions from 2017. Among the pics is Amazon Studios’ “Time,” which won the Los Angeles Film Critics Association, National Board of Review and New York Film Critics Circle awards for best documentary. It’s the first film since Sarah Polley’s “Stories We Tell” (2012) to win the big three critics’ prizes. However, Polley’s movie failed to get an Academy Awards nomination. . . .
See the complete list of documentary feature submission on the Academy website.
Variety, January 28

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Thanks, Ken. Glad I can still get back in the swing of things, here!

The shortlist, with the ones I have seen in bold:

• “All In: The Fight for Democracy”
  • “Boys State”
  • “Collective”
  • “Crip Camp”
  • “Dick Johnson Is Dead”
  • “Gunda”
  • “MLK/FBI”
  • “The Mole Agent”
  • “My Octopus Teacher”
  • “Notturno”
  • “The Painter and the Thief”
  • “76 Days”
  • “Time”
  • “The Truffle Hunters”
  • “Welcome to Chechnya”

Four films made both the PGA nominations and the Oscar shortlist: Dick Johnson Is DeadMy Octopus TeacherTime and The Truffle Hunters.

The Writers Guild of America nominees in this category (with the ones I have seen in bold):

• All In: The Fight for Democracy, Written by Jack Youngelson; Amazon Studios
  • The Dissident, Written by Mark Monroe and Bryan Fogel; Briarcliff Entertainment
  • Herb Alpert Is…, Written by John Scheinfeld; Abramorama
  • Red Penguins, Written by Gabe Polsky; Universal Pictures
  • Totally Under Control, Written by Alex Gibney; Neon

All In: The Fight for Democracy is the only WGA nominee that made the Oscar shortlist, and there is *no* overlap between the WGA nominees and the PGA nominees.

I got e-mails with screening links for two of the WGA nominees that I have *not* seen yet. I wonder if those links still work...

The winner will be announced March 21.

• 2 weeks later...

The Motion Picture Sound Editors Golden Reel Award nominees in this category:

• Bee Gees: How You Can Mend a Broken Heart
  • Crip Camp
  • John Lewis: Good Trouble
  • My Octopus Teacher
  • The Reason I Jump
  • Rebuilding Paradise
  • The Social Dilemma
  • Zappa

Crip Camp and My Octopus Teacher are the only nominees that are also on the Oscar shortlist.

The winner will be announced April 16.

The Cinema Audio Society nominees in this category:

• My Octopus Teacher
  • The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
  • The Social Dilemma
  • Zappa

My Octopus Teacher is the only nominee that is also on the Oscar shortlist.

The winner will be announced April 17.

The Directors Guild of America nominees in this category:

• MICHAEL DWECK & GREGORY KERSHAW, The Truffle Hunters
  • PIPPA EHRLICH & JAMES REED, My Octopus Teacher
  • DAVID FRANCE, Welcome to Chechnya
  • AMANDA McBAINE & JESSE MOSS, Boys State
  • BENJAMIN REE, The Painter and the Thief

All five nominees are on the Oscar shortlist. My Octopus Teacher and The Truffle Hunters are the only films that also got Producers Guild nominations. My Octopus Teacher is also the only nominee that has also been nominated by the Cinema Audio Society and the Motion Picture Sound Editors.

The winner will be announced April 10.

The American Society of Cinematographers nominees in this category:

• Michael Dweck and Gregory Kershaw for The Truffle Hunters
  • Viktor Kosakovskiy and Egil Håskjold Larsen for Gunda
  • Gianfranco Rosi for Notturno

All three films are on the Oscar shortlist. The Truffle Hunters is the only one that got a nomination from any of the other guilds (i.e. the Producers Guild and Directors Guild).

The winner will be announced April 18.

Posted (edited)

The ACE Eddie Award nominees in this category:

• All In: The Fight for Democracy, Nancy Novack
  • Dick Johnson is Dead, Nels Bangerter
  • The Dissident, Scott D. Hanson, James Leche, Wyatt Rogowski, Avner Shiloah
  • My Octopus Teacher, Pippa Ehrlich, Dan Schwalm
  • The Social Dilemma, Davis Coombe

All In: The Fight for Democracy, Dick Johnson Is Dead and My Octopus Teacher are on the Oscar shortlist.

All In: The Fight for Democracy has a Writers Guild nomination, Dick Johnson Is Dead has a Producers Guild nomination, and My Octopus Teacher has Producers Guild, Directors Guild, Motion Picture Sound Editors and Cinema Audio Society nominations. (The Dissident and The Social Dilemma have a few guild nominations too, but they're not on the Oscar shortlist, so their guild recognition has no prognosticative utility.)

The winner will be announced April 17.

Vote!

Just to recap which Oscar nominees have guild recognition right now:

• Crip Camp -- Motion Picture Sound Editors
  • My Octopus Teacher -- Producers, Directors, Motion Picture Sound Editors, Cinema Audio Society, Editors
  • Time -- Producers

And Collective and The Mole Agent have had no guild recognition so far.

On 2/16/2021 at 2:23 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Writers Guild of America nominees in this category (with the ones I have seen in bold):

• All In: The Fight for Democracy, Written by Jack Youngelson; Amazon Studios
  • The Dissident, Written by Mark Monroe and Bryan Fogel; Briarcliff Entertainment
  • Herb Alpert Is…, Written by John Scheinfeld; Abramorama
  • Red Penguins, Written by Gabe Polsky; Universal Pictures
  • Totally Under Control, Written by Alex Gibney; Neon

. . . The winner will be announced March 21.

And the winner is... The Dissident, which never even made the Oscar shortlist!

(There was no overlap at all between the WGA nominations and the Oscar nominations, so the WGA award isn't indicative of anything.)

On 2/4/2021 at 11:17 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Producers Guild Award nominees:

• Dick Johnson Is Dead
  • My Octopus Teacher
  • Softie
  • A Thousand Cuts
  • Time
  • The Truffle Hunters.

The winner will be announced March 24.

And the winner is... My Octopus Teacher!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 11:23 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Directors Guild of America nominees in this category:

• MICHAEL DWECK & GREGORY KERSHAW, The Truffle Hunters
  • PIPPA EHRLICH & JAMES REED, My Octopus Teacher
  • DAVID FRANCE, Welcome to Chechnya
  • AMANDA McBAINE & JESSE MOSS, Boys State
  • BENJAMIN REE, The Painter and the Thief

. . . The winner will be announced April 10.

And the winner is... The Truffle Hunters! Which isn't even nominated for the Oscar (unlike fellow DGA nominee My Octopus Teacher).

On 3/2/2021 at 9:39 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Motion Picture Sound Editors Golden Reel Award nominees in this category:

• Bee Gees: How You Can Mend a Broken Heart
  • Crip Camp
  • John Lewis: Good Trouble
  • My Octopus Teacher
  • The Reason I Jump
  • Rebuilding Paradise
  • The Social Dilemma
  • Zappa

Crip Camp and My Octopus Teacher are the only nominees that are also on the Oscar shortlist.

The winner will be announced April 16.

And the winner is... The Reason I Jump, which never even made the Oscar shortlist!

On 3/11/2021 at 10:59 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The ACE Eddie Award nominees in this category:

• All In: The Fight for Democracy, Nancy Novack
  • Dick Johnson is Dead, Nels Bangerter
  • The Dissident, Scott D. Hanson, James Leche, Wyatt Rogowski, Avner Shiloah
  • My Octopus Teacher, Pippa Ehrlich, Dan Schwalm
  • The Social Dilemma, Davis Coombe

All In: The Fight for Democracy, Dick Johnson Is Dead and My Octopus Teacher are on the Oscar shortlist. . . .

The winner will be announced April 17.

And the winner is... My Octopus Teacher.

On 3/2/2021 at 9:53 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Cinema Audio Society nominees in this category:

• My Octopus Teacher
  • The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
  • The Social Dilemma
  • Zappa

My Octopus Teacher is the only nominee that is also on the Oscar shortlist.

The winner will be announced April 17.

And the winner is... The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart!

That just leaves one guild that hasn't announced its winners yet -- the American Society of Cinematographers -- and none of their candidates got any Oscar nominations.

So, of the three Oscar nominees that had guild nominations, two didn't win anything, and My Octopus Teacher won two -- specifically, it won the Producers Guild Award and the ACE Eddies award -- but it lost the awards from the directors' guild and both of the sound guilds. Huh.

On 3/10/2021 at 10:33 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The American Society of Cinematographers nominees in this category:

• Michael Dweck and Gregory Kershaw for The Truffle Hunters
  • Viktor Kosakovskiy and Egil Håskjold Larsen for Gunda
  • Gianfranco Rosi for Notturno

. . . The winner will be announced April 18.

And the winner is... The Truffle Hunters.