Overstreet

Watchmen (2009)

I could buy that... but who will they get for Rorschach?

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I'm sure some have already seen this, but AICN is saying that Aronofsky is off the project. sad.gif

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

THEY CANNOT DO THIS YET!!!! THEY MUST WAIT TWO MORE YEARS!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

[iNSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

I'm pretty much in agreement with Twitch's sentiments. I really liked The Bourne Supremacy, both as an action and a dramatic film, but looking back, there's nothing that screams "This guy can make The Watchmen" about it. Still, there are much worse choices...

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

'Watchmen' on duty at Warner Bros

For "Watchmen" to make Warners its home -- albeit without Greengrass and Hayter -- is somewhat fitting as parent company Time Warner owns DC Comics and the studio is releasing "V for Vendetta," which is based on another comic book by "Watchmen" co-creator Alan Moore, and scheduled for a March 17 release. The studio is talking to directors and is looking for writers. Starting from scratch is not being ruled out as the studio would like to attract big-name stars. Paramount has the right of first refusal to co-finance the eventual picture.

Hollywood Reporter, December 18

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Horror flick director on duty for 'Watchmen'

Zach Snyder, who made his feature filmmaking debut with 2004's "Dawn of the Dead," has come aboard to develop and direct "Watchmen," based on the seminal DC Comics saga of a vigilante superhero.

Alex Tse, who worked with director Spike Lee on the Showtime cable network production "Sucker Free City," is writing a script for the long-gestating "Watchmen" project, now in the pipeline at Warner Bros. Pictures. . . .

Sources say Snyder impressed Warner Bros. with his work on "300," an upcoming adaptation of a Frank Miller graphic novel that he directed and co-wrote.

Snyder shot the movie -- a Greek epic about the battle of Thermopylae in 480 B.C. -- on soundstages in Montreal using partial sets and greenscreens, similar in technique to Robert Rodriguez's "Sin City." The film is slated for release in 2007.

Hollywood Reporter, June 23

- - -

Link to thread on 300.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Zach Snyder, who made his feature filmmaking debut with 2004's "Dawn of the Dead," has come aboard to develop and direct "Watchmen," based on the seminal DC Comics saga of a vigilante superhero.

I'm not sure if I should worry or not, considering that this is my favorite comic of all time.

Huh, no sooner do I post an item at my blog -- on a rumour to the effect that the Watchmen production office will open in Vancouver in June, with shooting to start in August -- than a friend e-mails me to say: "I just met one of the location scouts for the upcoming 'Watchmen' flick. They are considering using SFU and the tower here in Surrey."

Interesting... The latest internet rumours say this movie may constitute a sort of Little Children mini-reunion... with Patrick Wilson playing Nite Owl and Jackie Earle Haley playing Rorshach...

Watchmen cast revealed.

...the long-awaited big-screen adaptation of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons Watchman has the first additions to its cast, and they are Patrick Wilson, Jackie Earle Haley, Matthew Goode, Billy Crudup, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, and Malin Akerman. Zack Snyder 300 directs.
Edited by Clint M

I find the Watchmen graphic novel to be powerful in its multi-layered storytelling, ambivalent characters, and keen observation of the modern world. Count me extremely skeptical that they'll be able to catch any of that on screen.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

I find the Watchmen graphic novel to be powerful in its multi-layered storytelling, ambivalent characters, and keen observation of the modern world. Count me extremely skeptical that they'll be able to catch any of that on screen.

Especially with Snyder directing. I think he'll have no problem mastering the visuals, but based on how simplistic and blunt 300, I don't know if he has the chops to handle Watchmen's story without "dumbing it down" in some way.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Especially with Snyder directing. I think he'll have no problem mastering the visuals, but based on how simplistic and blunt 300, I don't know if he has the chops to handle Watchmen's story without "dumbing it down" in some way.

Don't lose all hope. The 300 graphic novel was even more simplistic and blunt than the movie was.

Scott -- 2nd Story -- Twitter

And both films are being filmed in Vancouver RIGHT NOW!

- - -

Bates to Score Watchmen and Earth Stood Still

Tyler Bates' latest movie Doomsday (Neil Marshall's upcoming Rogue Pictures release) may be March 14th, but the future is looking bright with the signing of two major films for 2008: Warner Bros.' Watchmen and Fox's The Day the Earth Stood Still.

ComingSoon.net, January 23

Fox sues over 'Watchmen'

20th Century Fox has initiated a legal battle against Warner Bros. over the rights to develop, produce and distribute a film based on the graphic novel "Watchmen." On Friday, the studio sued Warners, claiming it holds the exclusive copyrights and contract rights to "Watchmen."

Hollywood Reporter, February 12

I am skeptical about a Watchmen film because the graphic novel is so good but a part of me is really excited for it. It is similar to the upcoming Dune adaptation with Peter Berg directing: I don't think that he movie can match the original material but the mere prospect of having a theatrical version is something to look forward to. The casting of Synder can be a plus minus. I know that the visuals will be true to the novel but I'm not sure about the themes. But consider when Peter Jackson was chosen to direct The Lord of the Rings. That seemed odd at the time but turned out to great. Basically, we will see in due time if Synder can pull it off and I will look forward to it, win or lose.

"Someone like Jean-Luc Godard is for me intellectual counterfeit money when compared to a good kung fu film." - Werner Herzog

3brothersfilm.com

New pictures of the Watchmen characters have just been revealed. Rorschach and The Comedian look especially cool.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Yes!

They did a great job of casting, I think. I'm getting excited for this. Thanks for the link, Jason.

Yes!

They did a great job of casting, I think. I'm getting excited for this. Thanks for the link, Jason.

Yes!

Yes!

Yes!

Yes!

Man, you really are excited! ;)

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker