Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

The Da Vinci Code

Da Vinci Code bestseller is plagiarism, authors claim

Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh claim that Dan Brown, the 39-year-old former English teacher from New Hampshire, has "lifted the whole architecture" of the research that they carried out for their non-fiction work The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, which they co-wrote with Henry Lincoln. They claim that the similarities between the two books are such that they have no choice but to sue Random House, whose imprint Doubleday is the publisher of Brown's novel. . . . The only mention of their book is when the villain of The Da Vinci Code, an eccentric English historian called Sir Leigh Teabing, lifts a copy off his bookshelf and says: "To my taste, the authors made some dubious leaps of faith in their analysis, but their fundamental premise is sound." The name Leigh Teabing is an anagram of Leigh and Baigent, the authors point out, while his physical description -- he walks with the aid of crutches -- is allegedly based on the third author, Henry Lincoln, who walks with a limp.

Daily Telegraph, October 3

This article has one of my favourite quotes of the week in it:

"We are being lumped in with Dan Brown's work of fiction and that degrades the historical implication of our material," Baigent said. "It makes our work far easier to dismiss as a farrago of nonsense.

Which anyone who's read The Holy Blood... with its complete lack of proper historical evidence should find pretty hilarious. And, hey, if this lawsuit means the Holy Blood authors have to dredge up some evidence to support their flimsy assertions, and admit that they lifted many of their 'revelations' from a fifties book The Passover Plot then I'm all for it.

Phil.

An interesting new criticism of The Da Vinci Code from The Village Voice by author Curtis White:

...The Da Vinci Code's seriousness is deeply unserious. Its promise of truth is broken in the moment it is made. The culture's habit of finding "seriousness" acceptable only if offered by people who are finally not serious is yet another way that the culture makes certain that nothing alarming will come of our newfound interest in heretical ideas. On the other hand, this is all only as it should be in a culture that believes it can learn about theology by reading a pulp novel.

Ah, dysfunction.

Very good article from Village Voice, Darryl. Thanks for posting the link.

This past weekend I heard a "scholarly" paper that actually referred to DVC as serious evidence of the importance of pagan beliefs in the middle ages. The rest of the paper was pretty muddled, too.

Not yet. Just presented at a medieval studies conference. Papers may be submitted for publication in the organization's journal, but they're not guaranteed publication. I don't think this one would make it. At least, I hope not!

And now it comes in an illustrated edition! Full of paintings and photos of the buildings referred to in the article; it even includes a still from Disney's The Little Mermaid.

All to enhance the "authenticity" and "accuracy" of the book's claims, no doubt.

The Da Vinci crock

A fascinating conspiracy about Jesus transformed the cheesy thriller, "The Da Vinci Code," into a phenomenal bestseller. Too bad it comes from "Holy Blood, Holy Grail," a masterpiece of bogus history.

Salon.com, December 29

- - -

How's THIS for a provocative final paragraph:

The early Christian scriptures -- the earliest having been transcribed from oral accounts 30 years after Jesus' death, and some a century or more later -- were written by people who were the product of a patriarchal culture that subscribed to many values we abhor today -- slavery, for one. Most of Jesus' followers assumed the world as they knew it was about to end very soon, to be replaced by an earthly kingdom of heaven. They were wrong about that and a lot of other things. To try to recast them as people with egalitarian attitudes about the sexes is to imply that we can't improve our own society without some kind of precedent from them. This idea could be even sillier than anything in "The Da Vinci Code."

Well, okay, at least it dispels Dan Brown's silly idea that Jesus and his earliest followers were trying to push some post-modern concept of the "sacred feminine" ...

As if we needed it, more "Da Vinci Code" debunking, this time from the "Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal" (SCICOP):

Notes on a Strange World

The article investigates the founding of the "Priory of Sion," since it's one of the elements of the novel that is sort of historical. I rather like this quote from Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum which concludes the piece:

Believe that there is a secret and you will feel an initiate. It doesn

hello, i accidently stumbled upon this board whilst searching on google wether (spelling?) the Roman name for the Christian god was Eli or Iaweh or Ihova

and i noticed this discussion about the Da vinci code. and i couldn't help but register to point out something

first i admit that the DVc is fiction, it's clever fiction but fucition nonetheless. however,

it seems you are a bit misinformed about the foundations of christianity and to be honest i personally thought that Dan brown included lots of fiction but when it came to his RCC "bashing" he didn't say annything we didn't allready knew.

but now i see that some people really don't know how the new testament came to be.

please do not be offended just read and think about it. there is to much anger in this world caused by religion allready, (i'm not atheist by the way i am a baptized catholic tough i am concidering turning to the superstition/buddhism of my grandparents but thats not really relevant)

From it's formation, where the doctrine was clearly an amalgamation of not only Judeo-Christian, but also Greco-Roman and Egyptian pagan beliefs. It was a deft political move by Constantine I, preceded by Galerius and with the support of the eastern tetrarch Flavius Galerius Valerius Licinianus Licinius. In 313, The Edict of Milan was declared. In this edict, the Roman National religion (RNR) was disestablished at the official religion, and Christianity replaced it.

By Galerius's principate, it was pretty obvious that the Christian's weren't going away. Much of the empire was now Christian, and the hatred between pagan and Christian, and Christian and Christian was threatening to tear the Empire apart. Galerius and Constantine rightly saw that the only way to stabilise the Empire was to modify the Official Imperial religion.

However, They didn't get it right first time.

See the reaction of the Egyptians to the omission of a triune godhead. This nearly led to a rebellion of the Egyptian pagans. So the religion was modified again to accommodate their beliefs.

Over the long process of changing the religion of an empire, many of the dates of the Roman Pagan festivals were amalgamated into Christian belief and culture. See the dates of St. Valentines Day / Lupercalia and even the Christmas Day / Saturnalia correlation. Vestiges of the RNR can also be seen in many other aspects of RCC beliefs. The Nun / Vestal virgins is only one example. Even the position of the Pope is not biblical. The pontiff holds a lot in common with the Pontifex Maximus of the RNR. Especially the politico-religious aspects.

Also, it is interesting to note that the Pro-Christian policies did not mean Pro-Jewish policies. Constantine's politico-religious shift resulted in an increase of Anti-Semitism.

The RCC has been, since it

I got the information from different books an sites. but my quot above comes from a forum for history buffs in a discussion about the foundations of christianity because i didn't think i could have said it any better.

however an intresting read might be this article: link

also when i whas a little kidd I went to a catholic school and had catechese in school wich, I think is like bible class and that teacher explained to us with allmost every miracle how a con artist could have done the same thing or how a natrual phenomenon (spelling?) could have been the cause for some things. that teacher also explained to us how the romans wrote the new testament to keep the peace. and that the old testament should be read as an intresting history book but the new testament was more like gouverment propaganda of the time. so as early as the age of 8 i was taught to question these matters.

one of his examples of propaganda I will never forget was how he told us that the whole story of Lucifer was designed to encourage people not to seek knowledge and not to think too much since Lucifer means the enlightened one and it is the enlightend one who has rebelled gaianst his master (god) and been cast down in to hell and who is the source of all evil.

according to my teacher the base morale of a story like that is a subtle way of telling people that seeking enlightment is a bad thing.

and i did not register to tell you how misinformed you are, and certainly not to tell you how informed i am, i was tought to allways question annything that sounds like religion by my Catechese teacher and encouraged to advise others to do the same thing.

IMO believing in god is not a bad thing, it's a good thing, however anny institution surounding anny form of religion can be abused since they are run by people and people are never to be trusted.

I am a faithful believer in God, his son & the spirit in which we try to emulate. However, how can anyone become upset, surprised, or angered at this writer or Hollywood for cashing in, when we ourselves have fallen pray to the traditions of man... Think you're special, unique? Think this movie / book/ writer is anything less then more rhetoric? Consider this, the Christmas tree is a tradition around the world in honor of "other" gods such as Oden, Raa & others known as Sun Gods, this is FACT & History, yet we've been taught from a young age these traditions of man and led to believe they coexist with honoring the son of God.

Fear not some over the top, egotistic writer, especially one that Hollywood has bought... Why? I too am a writer & know they don't even look if it is of a serious truth, only if the lie is appealing, and the more they can twist & turn it to their liking the better... Truth is, Easter is a shared holiday with Ishtar, the Goddess of fertility, thus we have bunnies, eggs, etc., and who better to wage war against then our children...

Can God compete with these Saints? St. Valentine, St. Patrick, St. Nicholas, etc.,? I personally still find my memories drifting back to childhood, lying under a Christmas tree, does this make me a heathen? No, nor does these claims unveil anything sacred, unless of course you believe in a church vs. the reason most believe they have entered one.

God is the closest thing to you, no need to pay the price for anyone's religious rituals, or lack there of.... We are our own guides. No grander lies can be told... we have them all, in every form, yet it doesn't change the core of real faith, nor does saying that God's son is less of a man, or son of God, because we want to change the end of his story, to yet again suit someone's fancy.

Are we so afraid of him that we have to accuse him once again of being "The Liar", come now.... Put down your books, your Bibles & the hatred we've all spread. The Jewish people on the whole believe he has yet to come, the Islamic people believe he was only a profit.... what a lying one? LOL, be real, be as children, but be open to your own thoughts not ones someone has spewed out on paper....

We know we have a conscience that separates us from all other living creatures here.... why do you suppose? So think for yourselves.... God loved us enough to live among us so he could truly understand why our plight was so difficult.... No one should be angry that he lived, died & saw our burden, love is never without a price, it's up to each person how much they want to cost themselves.

This writer is simply that, and to put merit beyond that is to put more faith in false traditions & beliefs... Are these people evil, not hardly, they have just given in to thoughts that sway in the wind like reeds of grass as many have... The answers are simple, accessible & live within yourselves, next to your conscience...

In Sept., light a candle, or cut some flowers and give thanks, give a gift of love, or kindness and consider what it is we do the rest of the year in the name of Saints & or someone else's imagination.... That is what this writer is guilty of... Imagination, & of course being human & wanting to find a way to enter the kingdom of Hollywood, LOL... Thus we have the counter to the Mel Gibson movie....

Personally, I would not want to be the proud owner of a long line that I am most certain would be considered blasphemy, but I hear that is a small price to pay to get your work read these days, lol... Not that I would give in to selling a half-ass story, or insinuate I somehow have unlocked a box which God had left open, nor would I willing continue to allow nonsense to flow from my fingers to the point I sold out for a writers wage, though he has been paid for quite a bit more.

Don't give air time to hatred.... watch the movie, read the book, or not, because in the end it is simply that... , not another added book, nor truth, nor reality... we have enough falsehood, one more won't make much difference, but why not seek the simple truth versus another sea of fairy tales? Just thought I would share a thought or two... and just incase anyone is curious I am not against the Islamic, Jewish, nor Catholic people, I am against the traditions of man, and anyone else who lies in the face of God to support the title of their own personal Designer Religion.

That's all folks

R~

Wise-Cracker.com

Edited by yeddle

Yeah, thanks, Dan Brown, for giving me more fires to put out amongst the fringe (of church goers...not necessarily believers) and the seekers. Oh, wait! It's an opportunity to give them some serious questions to questions about heresies that have been around for a long time.

Thank goodness there is lots of good material out there refuting Brown's nonsense and reliance on spurious scholarship (I use that term in the loosest of fashions).

Neb

yeddle wrote:

: . . . unless of course you believe in a church versus the reason most believe they have

: entered one.

Versus? The Nicene Creed, which most Christians recite or sing every Sunday, professes belief in four things: the Father, the Son, the Spirit, and the Church. No "versus" there.

(Re: "most Christians". I am operating here on the assumption that Orthodox, Catholics, Anglicans, and perhaps others who recite the creed outnumber all the Protestants who don't. But I could be wrong.)

yeddle wrote:

: . . . unless of course you believe in a church versus the reason most believe they have

: entered one.

Versus?  The Nicene Creed, which most Christians recite or sing every Sunday, professes belief in four things: the Father, the Son, the Spirit, and the Church.  No "versus" there.

(Re: "most Christians".  I am operating here on the assumption that Orthodox, Catholics, Anglicans, and perhaps others who recite the creed outnumber all the Protestants who don't.  But I could be wrong.)

Vs. not a verse, sorry for the duel meaning...

Well said.

Yeddle, what country are you posting from?

Yeddle, I appreciate your post, but it is somewhat difficult to pick apart.

I'd venture that most people on this website know that the "Christmas" tree is a pre-Christian symbol. I did know that Easter's etymology is likewise pre-Christian. This doesn't begin to address the names of our days and months, and even things like our tendency to believe in a body/soul dichotomy utterly foreign to OT thought.

The Church was born into and has always existed in a pluralistic environment. I think it is quite capable of doing so with great success. It's when we try to make the church itself into a broader, established culture that things start to go haywire.

That being said, there's a huge gap between acknowledging the Greco-Roman history of our culture, and giving a con artist such as Dan Brown license to deceive huge numbers of readers about the history of Christianity. Even non-Christian journalists and academics have rallied to this cause. Although I am offended by Brown's insinuations about Jesus, I am also concerned becuase it's not the truth, and many people are swallowing it hook, line, and sinker.

Thank you for the reply... Rather they understand the history ask how many know "others" around the world who erect a Christmas tree in their home every year.... Isn't that like giving someone you love an empty box of chocolates that you had bought for someone you're having an affair with? LOL, sorry... I have an odd sense of humor, oh & lets make sure we give the gift 3 months late...

No, but really... Istar is also given equal rights during a time of when we are suppose to be observing God's son's death and rebirth, why? Why do we object to this writer yet not demand that these false practices be omitted from our National Calendar, public & even religious schools? If you are a Pagan, or Catholic & or a willing adult, fine... But lets not pretend that they're not taking aim at the most innocent while we put money in the collection plates. That was not meant to be directed personally & as I stated I sincerely appreciate the reply...

The Jewish Calendar has been modified, Oct. use to be the 6th month & so on as the name October would reference. I am new to the website & have no idea what members here would or would not naturally have knowledge of, my apologies if I have offended, I do that quite often without much thought when talking out loud, or in this case randomly writing what I am thinking at any given moment I am awake....

As for what people are buying, well.... They buy far worse & this is only the beginning... God himself could come down & many would still disbelieve, am I right? So, how can one stop those who can't even protect their children? Damn anyone who stands between man, woman or CHILD to speak to his father...

Church is inside the body you live within.... No one can make a better resting place for our creator, nor claim that they have built a more grander version of it.... I need not be a member, nor tote a Bible, matter of fact if it confuses anyone, throw it out, everything you need to know, you already are aware of.... Now the trick is not listening to these "Holy" advisors & start cleaning your pews in the event God would like a seat.... ya know?

I enjoy talking about faith, it is the real Church... Thank you

Edited by yeddle

I think like a yeddle (lil) kid, so don't mind me if I come off like I am reading a riddle from a book I've just spent a day coloring.... I am guilty of being a child, a very human child that refuses to let someone else tell me stories about someone I know so well, that has been in my life long before I was born.

I worry for my fellow believers because of our practices, these traditions follow us like a jealous woman trying to keep the loving eyes of children from seeing someone she dreams of having for herself...

I spun another tale myself this morning, maybe I will share.... WARNING, I am not a poet, nor a wiseman, I am a mother of two small children, LOL

R~

Edited by yeddle