Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

The Da Vinci Code

We can create the history we build our perception upon, we can create an environment of structured learning...Condemn & Condone our behaviors, but we cannot isolate the heart whereas it cannot confirm it's own answer.

We have the ability to wonder about in space as if to show we are somehow giants in our most infantile stages, yet we remain fully unaware of our final destruction. My hands, my print, my mind, though unique are not without extenuated meaning tied to all of mankind.

It is said we are above those who were created before us... even our maker we mirror, yet our own instincts will betray us time & time again. Love is never the real question, at least not for those of us still attached to our essential core... a simple truth so painful we cannot bare the thought of what we ourselves have done.

War is waged within thy self to the point no fallen need to attend to our eternal grave if we should ever forget to be as the children we once were before the day, or hour we were hated by our own... Some, they say were hated before birth, or were predestined to a fate much worse, but I truly believe that within each life, there is an understanding, more wise than the history, and or the accounts written & rewritten as our guide.

We are the truth no matter how bitter it may be, we are the life in which all things have hidden, and revealed. I, like all of us search for answers, stopping each one with light in their eyes to seek truth, yet know within lies the answer.... though it is natural to be spooked when seeing the erosion created when one stops to admire that in which appears so beautiful within our sight.

Some things cannot be forged, laughter of the innocent being in the forefront of my mind, so how is it we cannot build greatness upon the sound the soul makes when pleased. Loneliness only gives depth to the love you once felt, can not this be what we carry on? The hardest person to convince we are worthy of being alive appears to be ourselves, yet we cry the hardest that love is lost.

Do not worry for thy brother, nor thy God, for all that remains within, worthy of the children we once were, will be the true gift to share without price... and if I have offended either, I am sorry that I forgot the right words to share with them... Love, Loyalty & kindness are that which remains within the anger I thought I once owned.

It's hard to miss things that never really leave you, and it's even harder to forget why loving someone within thy own body comes at such a high price. I ask for forgiveness for not being more, and for mimicking the things I saw. I wish I could make peace without dying... love without giving in to a broken heart. If only I had a way to tell you what it was I felt... what we so desperately wanted to be our final message.

yeddle, I have to confess, I am having some difficulty understanding what you're talking about. Probably my 2-second attention span, or something.

Are you making an argument against the use of symbols with Pagan roots? Christmas itself would have to fall into that category (as a Saturnalia supplanter).

But I still don't understand why this would be a problem--if that's what you're saying. Paul himself, in the Scriptures, appeals to pagan imagery to help his readers understand theological truths or personal experiences.

It is one thing to refer to a known truth about a practice that is widely known, but to weave inside a truly sacred message, your own changes & not be willing to share the information to those who practice in pure faith inside the Church is an insult.

They wanted them,(the pagans) to join them, so they shared what was not theirs to share, how is this accepted so widely? I am a follower of my father, not of the motions many go through... I, too am a late bloomer, at age 38, without formal teaching I have learned my own lessons from the world & all of the practices & for that I am thankful, but not overly impressed with & that is why this writer,(of the so called code) has little in the way of clout...

He cannot do anything other than make people follow even more blindly, trying to cloud the issues even further causing more to run to the men of clothe for answers in which they have long forgotten inside the walls of churches themselves. The Jewish leaders themselves, who lived in the days of Jesus & knew the proper laws given, were lost... why?

Simple, they counted on a book to be their life blood vs. living their life in faith, not for it. I am not against these people but against "them" not being required to have a disclaimer before they speak to the mass.

They've had their air time, why now be offended some schmuck is playing the game of scrabble with words they've declared God's? Is that the rights of these men who dabble in religious teachings only... Who is more dangerous?

Look, the Jewish people know Jesus existed & see him much like the Islamic people in that he was a profit of sorts & as I stated before, is he a lying profit? No, so why then did they too overlook the fact that Jesus said he was God's son? So, the mystery of why we listen to false teachings is rather simple, we want candy, we want to do what we do & just pay as we go, while allowing somene else to tell us what these words mean....

If you look to man and books alone you'll fall, surely we must all know this by now... No matter what book that may be, or what version you decide to read... Not to say you should limit yourself but let the questions be answered in your own mind... ask questions, seek answers, and pass by the ones that keep you from moving along... go back later, but please remember that it is only a lesson & does not replace life, nor living the way as the many examples have shown thoughout the bible...

Oh someone give me a cigarette & coffee so I'll STFU, lol

Edited by yeddle

Yeddle, you should probably start a new topic to continue this line; I'm not sure it's going to have much to do with the subject of this thread...

aaaaaah, I am once again in the way of the larger ideas... Sorry my friend, I shall try to limit my thoughts to the topic at hand...

Thank you for the reminder

R~

Oh my tender heart, LOL

Maybe I should practice writing on an Etch-A-Sketch for awhile, then maybe I can come back and play with the big kids.

I just noticed how many are confused by my ramblings... Not to worry, just wanted a place to rest for a moment.

TC,

R~

Yeddle, if I may make a suggestion, A&F offers members the ability to create a blog. Then you can ramble to your heart's content. smile.gif

Edited by Ann D.

I finally finished reading the entire thread blush.gif

LOL, ah well.... I still appreciate the hospitality, sorry to have made such a mess of an otherwise very interesting thread. Hats off to all of you for your posts, great discussion / thread... I hope to read more on the subject.

Thanks a million~

Edited by yeddle

I read the book about a year ago and thought it was mediocre, meant to be provocative, but poorly written. I'll go see the film however because it has a great cast. Regarding the book: did you ever really take a good look at the painting of The Last Supper by Da Vinci? Whose hand IS that with the knife? "John" really DOES look like a woman.

peppaja wrote:

: Whose hand IS that with the knife?

Peter's. He uses it in Gethsemane later on.

: "John" really DOES look like a woman.

He does in ALL the paintings of that period. To quote an article that an e-pal of mine wrote for Focus on the Family's website:

Another example of Brown's "story behind the painting" approach is his treatment of "The Last Supper." This mural (which Brown calls a fresco -- even though there is a big difference) is full of interesting details, and Brown turns all of them into hints about his conspiracy theory. None of Brown's Leonardo story works if this claim fails, so it's worth noting how utterly groundless the claim is.

Every age has its own standards of fashion, taste, and human beauty. In the Italian Renaissance, a handsome young man was usually portrayed in a way that emphasized his rosy cheeks, conspicuous beardlessness and curly hair. Since "the disciple Jesus loved" is always portrayed as a young man, Leonardo paints him according to Renaissance standards. Look at any five paintings of "The Last Supper" from a century on either side of Leonardo, and you will see the same kind of face for John. Either all the artists were in on the conspiracy, or there isn't one. All The Da Vinci Code proves in this respect is that John looks girly to Dan Brown, but not to Leonardo.

My e-pal's article makes some other great points, too, e.g. there's no way Leonardo could have programmed an anagram into the title of the Mona Lisa ... because the painting didn't go by that name until decades after Leonardo had died!

I heard (always a good source) that in his pages and pages of writings, that Da Vinci never even mentions Magdalene. FWTW

Matt

Here is an interview with McLaren. There are about 1.5 good comments in there, but I found the rest to be sown with McLaren's typical strawmen.

Like this one:

"...think a lot of people have read the book, not just as a popular page-turner but also as an experience in shared frustration with status-quo, male-dominated, power-oriented, cover-up-prone organized Christian religion."

(Uh...and this is supposed to be a legitimate description of the current Church in America? He has made a career off of these little sound bites that are apropos of nothing.)

"Should this book be a clarion call to the church to say, "Hey, we need to have a body of believers who are much more literate in church history." Is that something the church needs to be thinking about more strategically?"

McLaren: Yes! You're exactly right.

(Of course. Because there are no Christian church historians of the early, Byzantine, medieval, Reformation, or Protestant periods. And there are not 300 books, articles, conferences, and graduate level programs in these fields that are produced by Christians every year. We are all so completely illiterate in church history and theology that we have to have Dan Brown teach us about the humanity of Christ. Sure, the typical layperson can't be expected to read 200 pages of scholarly literature every night, but McLaren seems to imply that we are in some sort of Dark Ages.)

I've not read the main interview, but I would take his comments not so much on a scholarly level (because as you say there's lots going on there), but on the level of the pews he's absolutely right. Has anyone ever heard a sermon on Church history, how we got the bible, the process of divinisation of Christ etc.?

Matt

That is true, but the problem with McLaren is that you and I are able to read his comments as insiders, knowing that there IS a great deal of really cool scholarship going on right now. The average layperson, and the outsider just reading McLaren for the heck of it will get a false impression from McLaren.

I don't know if he does this intentionally or not, but the message that he sends out about contemporary Christianity in America is that if it is not "emergent" it is caught in a Dark Age of scholarship and practice. Which is patently untrue. He does give a quick nod to people who "have debunked Brown," but that just allows him to have his cake and eat it too.

Edited by MLeary

What significance will Dan Brown weave into this:

As if her enigmatic smile had not inspired enough debate over the centuries, the mysterious Mona Lisa was the subject of renewed controversy yesterday. Scientists now claim the young woman depicted in Leonardo da Vinci's 16th century masterpiece was either pregnant or had recently given birth.

"Thanks to laser scanning, we were able to uncover the very fine gauze veil Mona Lisa was wearing on her dress. This was something typical for either soon-to-be or new mothers at the time," explained Michel Menu, of the French Museums' Centre for Research and Restoration.

pp. 262-263: Gadzooks, Dan Brown even brings Disney cartoons like Sleeping Beauty (the Princess is code-named "Rose"! ooh! aah!) and The Little Mermaid into the picture. ("Langdon held up his Mickey Mouse watch and told her that Walt Disney had made it his quiet life's work to pass on the Grail story to future generations. . . . When Langdon had first seen The Little Mermaid, he had actually gasped aloud when he noticed that the painting in Ariel's underwater home was none other than seventeenth-century Georges de la Tour's The Penitent Magdalene -- a famous homage to the banished Mary Magdalene -- fitting decor considering the movie turned out to be a ninety-minute collage of blatant symbolic references to the lost sanctity of Isis, Eve, Pisces the fish goddess, and, repeatedly, Mary Magdalene. The Little Mermaid's name, Ariel, was synonymous with 'the Holy City besieged.' Of course, the Little Mermaid's flowing red hair was certainly no coincidence either.")
The truth about The Little Mermaid and The Penitent Magdalene!