Sign in to follow this  
Clint M

Wong Kar-wai's Days of Being Wild

Clint M   

...only in NY, however. dry.gif

Wong Kar-wai's 1991 film, "Days of Being Wild," which premiered in the U.S. at New Directors/New Films in 1991, has been rarely seen in the states. The film is set in 1960s Hong Kong, and shot by Christopher Doyle ("Hero," "In the Mood for Love"), the first of several collaborations between Doyle and Wong. "Wild" also introduced actress Maggie Cheung ("In the Mood for Love," "2046") to many audiences, and also features the late Leslie Cheung ("Happy Together," "Farewell My Concubine"). Kino describes the feature as "the first of several masterpieces of unattainable love." The film will open New York's Film Forum November 19th.

I was disappointed by Days of Being Wild, with the exception of some truly brilliant sequences involving Maggie Cheung. The cinematography is of course superb, but I didn't find Leslie Cheung's character to be all that interesting, and that character is the main focus of the film.

It's pretty similar to 2046, really, but that film is better in almost every respect.

Persona   
I was disappointed by Days of Being Wild, with the exception of some truly brilliant sequences involving Maggie Cheung.