Tokyo Story

I'm very excited about this, as I have not yet seen this film. But it is held in such high esteem by so many of my favorite filmmakers and critics.

Who here has seen it? Thoughts?

I found out about the release from brilliant blogger Darren Hughes at:

http://www.longpauses.com/blog.htm

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Is this the one that is shot exactly 36 inches above the ground the whole time?

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• 3 months later...
Guest Russell Lucas

Is this the one that is shot exactly 36 inches above the ground the whole time?

-s.

Yes, pretty much. The shot height apparently approximates the eye level of kneeling on a cushion on a floor in a Japanese home.

Did anyone pick this up? I watched it this past weekend and found it really remarkable.

• 2 years later...

Great reminder of this movie! Turns out the library now carries it, so I should be seeing it as soon as next week.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I caught Tokyo Story on the big screen here in D.C. at the Goethe Institut. Honestly, I'm sure my reaction would have more negative had I not gone in having been told that it was extremely well respected. The story meandered in such a way as to be almost distracting.

That's just how eye roll.

Realizing that I started this thread in 2003, I guess I should at least mention that I've seen the film twice since then, and it's becoming one of my all-time favorites. I need to see more Ozu soon. There is a meditative quality about his scenes that is fascinating. I thought of it often watching "The World" this week, which has a chapter called "Tokyo Story" that clearly references that film in what takes place there.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

• 8 years later...

Just a brief comment:  for those who love this film, I would highly recommend the short anthology of critical essays edited by David Desser, Ozu's Tokyo Story.  It's chock-full of insight, including an entire chapter comparing and contrasting this with another of our Top 100, Make Way for Tomorrow.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

• 1 year later...

Todd's MFA program has cut into podcasting, but we have a new episode on Tokyo Story...and a new host (podcasts.com).

In the latest episode, Todd and Ken discuss Yasujiro Ozu’s Tokyo Story. Is the film compassionate towards its characters? Does it blame one generation more than the other for the deterioration of family? Does the film lament the breakdown of the extended family or merely document it? Ken questions whether there is an ideal organization of extended families and whether our expectations of them come from The Bible or our respective cultures. Also: what does any of this have to do with King Lear or Downton Abbey?