Clint M

Upcoming Criterion Releases

MattPage   

: The King of Kings

I'm going to have to forget that I ever saw this. A 155 minute original eh? Can't remember how long my VHS copy is.

Matt

PS Clint - when you mention King of Kings in your second post dop you mean the 1962 film then or do you mean The King of Kings again there?

Information on Kagemusha is now up.

Wooohoooo! That's the one movie I listed in the "A movie you don't own, but wish you did" thread!

DanBuck   
What's the freakin hold up for an Ordet region 1 disc?

?!? I have an Ordet/R1 disc--I think. I rented it from GreenCine. It plays on my player. It played on my church's player last night.

Wow I just figgered it didn't exist since All of the Orange Co. Public Library has no record of it and its not on netflix.

What's the freakin hold up for an Ordet region 1 disc?

?!? I have an Ordet/R1 disc--I think. I rented it from GreenCine. It plays on my player. It played on my church's player last night.

Wow I just figgered it didn't exist since All of the Orange Co. Public Library has no record of it and its not on netflix.

Ordet is part of Criterion's Carl Dreyer Collection, which also includes Day of Wrath, Gertrude, and a documentary about the filmmaker. I don't belong to any of the DVD-rental services, so I don't know if the collection is available as a rental, but it's superb and is easily worth the purchase price, if you're feeling bold. I make no guarantees that you'll like Dreyer's films, but speaking strictly for myself, I think Ordet is the best film I've ever seen, and Day of Wrath is somewhere in my top 20. I'm not big on Gertrude, but enough people I respect have spoken so well of that film that I'm hoping it grows on me in time.

rjkolb   

Ordet which I own is indeed part of the Dreyer collection. All of the films in the collection, of course, are wonderful transfers with excellent commentary about the films. It also includes the great documentary My Metier.

Edited by rjkolb

Persona   
Ordet which I own is indeed part of the Dreyer collection. All of the films in the collection, of course, are wonderful transfers with excellent commentary about the films. It also includes the great documentary My Metier.

Agreed. I bought this collection a few years ago and it is a wonderful addition to any cinephile's library. And My Metier is also a great film in its own right.

-s.

BethR   
whole lot of extra money

No kidding! You might want to edit the post & put that phrase in ALL CAPS wink.gif

rjkolb   
You might want to edit the post & put that phrase in ALL CAPS

You are probaly right about ALL CAPS! However there are 241 titles in the collection which breaks down to $20.7 dollars per disk and considering the normal cost of Criterion DVDs it is actually a pretty good deal.

And remasters of older Criterion titles (including The Seven Samurai)

Argh, I just got the criterion version last year! Does anyone have any information about this, particuarly how much better this version will be? It's one of my all-time favorites, so I just might spring for the remastered version.

gigi   

Ooh! The 49th parallel is one of the most intelligent war movies made and possibly Pressburger's sharpest bit of screenwriting. Well worth purchasing.

gigi wrote:

: Ooh! The 49th parallel is one of the most intelligent war movies made and

: possibly Pressburger's sharpest bit of screenwriting. Well worth purchasing.

I would have called it one of the most intelligent "propaganda" movies ever made, but yeah, it's well worth purchasing -- especially to see Laurence Olivier play a Quebecois fur trapper, and to see a very young Glynis Johns (The Court Jester, Mary Poppins, While You Were Sleeping) play a Saskatchewanian Hutterite!

FWIW, I devote two paragraphs to this film in an article I wrote on war movies back when Tears of the Sun came out. Come to think of it, someone here started a thread on that article when it first came out.

SDG   
: The King of Kings

I'm going to have to forget that I ever saw this. A 155 minute original eh? Can't remember how long my VHS copy is.

Your VHS copy is probably the 1928 112-minute version. The Criterion version, which includes both the 155-minute original "roadshow" version and the 112-minute general release, is definitely worth having for a number of extra shots, scenes and sequences. Among these are one, um, biting scene in which Judas tries unsuccessfully to expel a demon, and a conflation of the "render unto Caesar" tax question and the question of the temple tax that ends with Jesus providing the tax for Peter and himself with a coin miraculously found in a fish's mouth (followed by a hilarious coda in the film).

Not everything about the original version is better. DeMille undercuts the Technicolor glory of the resurrection sequence by using the same 2-strip Technicolor in the decadent prologue sequence in Mary Magdalene's house (in the shorter version this segment is B&W). And while neither version remotely follows the canonical sequence of events, the 1927 version is marginally more mixed up. On the whole, though, I'm overjoyed to have the longer version.

SDG   

Ah, thanks for telling me (though since I was responding to a question in this thread and not starting a new thread I don't think an "ahem" is quite called for).

I figured it was warranted by the fact that the post to which you replied was over two months old, and thus dates to a time well before all those other posts were made to the film-specific thread, but hey, no biggie.

Sundered   
A wide-ranging new audio conversation between director Gus Van Sant and acclaimed filmmaker Todd Haynes (Safe, Velvet Goldmine, Far From Heaven) and will be included on Criterion

opus   

I completely missed that Criterion was releasing Sword Of Doom. This is probably one of the very first samurai movies I ever saw. I remember being absolutely blown away when I saw it, due to both the action sequences and the overall tone (which is pretty dark and disturbing, not surprising given that the "hero" is a samurai who rapes and kills at his own good pleasure). I'd love to watch this in conjunction with Hara-Kiri, an equally downbeat that also stars Tatsuya Nakadai (albeit in a much different role).

Diane   
Announced officially for April: F is for Fake

Excellent! I remember Doug C recommending this a while back on an Orson Welles thread. Can't wait to see it. Thanks for the update, Clint.

Announced officially for April: F is for Fake

Excellent! I remember Doug C recommending this a while back on an Orson Welles thread. Can't wait to see it. Thanks for the update, Clint.

It's available on VHS from Home Vision. Have you checked your library? My library has a copy.

Diane   
It's available on VHS from Home Vision. Have you checked your library? My library has a copy.

No such luck at any of my local libraries. And it doesn't seem like something Blockbuster or Hollywood Video would carry.