Sign in to follow this  
CrimsonLine

Survivor: Vanuatu

excl.gifexcl.gifexcl.gifexcl.gifexcl.gifexcl.gifexcl.gifexcl.gifexcl.gifexcl.gif

ADMIN NOTE: There will be SPOILERS throughout this thread -- there is no need to tag any of them -- READERS BEWARE

------------------------

So, thel latest Survivor incarnation unspooled last night, and I was reminded why I love my favorite reality show so much!

Of course, my favorite reality show is The Amazing Race...

I thought S:V was pretty good for a first episode, but not terribly exciting.

Jeff Probst is a stud. (But he's no Phil Keoghan)

I thought it was funny the way the women reacted to the native tribe's treatment of women. "Some of their customs will repulse you" indeed!

The "Superman" guy was very annoying to me, as was the shih-tzu girl (who never stopped moving or talking). I am a long way from knowing their names, sorry smile.gif

The challenge was interesting, favoring the women, obviously. Mrs. CrimsonLine and I knew from the start that the women would win.

And in the end, there was no contetxt for why Brook was voted off, or why Chris was allowed to stay. Burnett wants the end to be a "surprise", so he doesn't give you enough to build any "suspense". We don't know these people. So why should we care who stays or who goes?

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Burnett wants the end to be a "surprise", so he doesn't give you enough to build any "suspense". We don't know these people. So why should we care who stays or who goes?

I admit this is reoccuring problem with Survivor, at least in the first few shows of each new season-- until you actually get to know the characters/personalities. For me I find this happens around week three. Perhaps a two-hour season opener would help remedy this.

However, I'm in the minority here I guess. I think Survivor is the best reality show on television, by far. I've followed the show faithfully from week two of the first season until last night. And there are times, like last seasons All-Stars, when i think its the best thing on network television, period. I thought last nights show was great... and so far I like the cast.

Let the Thursday night Survivor parties begin!!! w00t.gif

Edited by coltrane

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

I'm with you Coltrane. I think Survivor is the cadillac of Reality TV shows. With production values far exceeding any other show. (Although, Amazing race is second).

I liked the first episode. But I dislike most of the men.

I'm late to this party (thanks to Ivan)! But a generator meant that I did manage to catch most of it.

crimsonline, I'm with you: I sat and thought about my great love for The Amazing Race. But maybe I am fickle. Give me a few weeks to get to know these folks, and we'll see what happens.

Anyway, my thoughts:

I was so repulsed by the rituals that I had to turn off the TV when they brought out the boar or hog or whatever.

Men vs. Women: I hate this set-up. I hated it last time. I dislike how it brooks all the "women are better than men" and "men are better than women" attitudes. However, I will predict that the women will self-destruct first. I mean, you can already see the divisions taking place between the "sorority" girls and the older women.

Man, I have a southern accent, but I can barely understand that one lady on the show. I can, however, do a pretty impressive imitation of what I think she's saying.

Brook: Wasn't he the one who made a rather, uh, sexist comment about the women?

Will there ever be any Survivor contestants I love as much as Kentucky Joe and Elizabeth from Season 2?

Jumping in, I thought the debut last week was a bit of a dud, but last night

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

No offense with what you've said here, Christian, because it's so obviously true. When that one girl was cutting the plantains from the tree, CBS was just skirting the edges of another "wardrobe malfunction."

And the guys? Well, there's one who's looks would qualify him as "hot"

Edited by Diane

Alan Thomas wrote:

: NOTE: I'm adding a 'blanket' SPOILERS tag in the first article...

The thread title would be better, since people who hit the "read first unread post" button could very easily miss that first article.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I hate to use the

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I like how the recap writer at Television Without Pity refers to the women's team as the "Apex -- er, Yasur" team. And anybody who's been watching the ladies bicker over on The Apprentice knows what she means. Seriously, I'm ready to see an all-woman team where everyone is able to get along...or at least be civil. But the preview of next week's show promises more of the same, although I think one of the key troublemakers did get the boot last night. I hope Eliza won't linger too much longer (and yes, Twila is annoying, too). But the big question for next week: Will Twila let the "young'uns" braid her hair?!? Isn't the suspense killing you?

Edited by Diane

So, I got a phone call last night and missed everything from the immunity challenge to the end, although I do know that Bubba got the boot. Could somebody fill me in as to why that happened?

I missed the first 15 minutes but saw the contestants talking about some event

Thanks, Christian. The team shake-up does make things more interesting. Wow, Rory voted against him, too? During the phone call, I caught a peek of what looked to be a very emotional bonding moment between them

Anyone else find themselves rooting for Rory this time around? Yeah, he's a pill, and it took a while for me to warm up to him. But he at least has some personality, unlike the majority of other contestants. Same reason I like Amy, or is it Ami? She over-reacts, but the fact that she's no shrinking violet enlivens the show.

Meanwhile, my disillusionment with "CSI," and now "Without a Trace," continues to grow. Do I really need to watch hour after hour of increasingly graphic images of corpses? And lemme tell you, as parents of a three-month-old and a two-year-old, there's nothing like watching another episode about a murdered infant. My wife sobs; I get angry. What's the point?

Sorry for the digression.

Rory's move last night was brazen and unbelievable...and brilliant. Although I really didn't want to see Lisa (is that right?) go last night. I would have been happier if Eliza had been sent packing.

Christian, the answer to your CSI complaint if really very simple. You're missing The Apprentice! And it was pretty good last night; someone who's been annoying for far too long finally went home.

Hey, ya know, I did see parts of "The Apprentice" during the commercial breaks for "CSI," and I commented to Sarah early in the episode that I'd love to see Stacey sent packing. I had no basis for the remarks from last night's episode, but I thought she should've gone in the earlier restaurant episode, when the woman who referred to two customers as "Jews" was (justifiably) fired. Last night we watched as the decision was made to bring Stacy and one other person into the board room, and then we turned back for the last few minutes to see Stacey in the cab. See ya, Stacey!

Just want to say that if Survivor awards $1 million to the viewers' choice this time around, I'll vote for Rory. I'll vote for him three times, if that's allowed. He's the only contestant I was rooting for. I was sorry to see him go.

Not much happening in this thread, but I felt compelled to post about my surprise over Thursday night's tribal council. POWER SHIFT, baby!

If I were a bettin' man, my money would now be on Twila.

I've been watching faithfully again this season, but have not really felt any strong chemistry/connection with any of these players. My wife and I have both found ourselves dismissing this season as one of Burnett's rare casting mistakes (maybe it's just being eclipsed by an amazing season of Apprentice... i dont know) But this past Thursday was indeed the comeback episode! Game ON! You gotta give Chris some major props for flying under the radar this long... Anyone remember his first challenge on the balance beam on episode one? laugh.gif Twila and Scout as the final two?

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

Ditto to all said above. Last week's tribal council FINALLY made this season interesting!

After a really lackluster season, this game finally heats up... The Witch is GONE! What Chris has pulled off in the last few episodes, has earned him a place in the final two IMO.

Edited by coltrane

No shocks in last night's finale. The usual - having broken promises to get to the end, Chris had to kiss up in order to get the million. The usual self-righteousness surfaced, primarily with Ami, Eliza, and Sarge (what an odd trio to mention in the same sentence!). And things that are a normal (and important) part of the game (i.e. breaking alliances) were condemned as being beneath contempt by those who did the very same thing themselves.

Jeff Probst had his usual silly and over-the-top entrance to the after-show, and NO time was spent with the winner at all, except to berate him publicly.

A lackluster end to a dull season. But next season will be exciting! Not.

Is it any wonder why I believe The Amazing Race is by far the superior show? Think of it this way - at the end of TAR, there is no talk of who "deserves" the money, or who has "stabbed" whom in the back. There is just a crowd of people (disappointed people, no doubt) cheering the Racers home. Any time someone tries to make an alliance, they look foolish - as do the people who complain about alliances being "broken" (Hello, Mirna!). The goal of the Race is to GET THERE FIRST (or at least not to get there last). If you don't like another team, if you want to see them gone, the only thing you can do is outrace them. Get there before they do. That's all. It's competition, pure and simple. No self-righteous blather about "I'm only here on this jury because I am just too nice..." or that kind of nonsense.

You're on that jury because you got outplayed. That's the only reason. If you trusted someone just a little too long, or rested too secure in an alliance, that's your fault. You knew the game going in, or should have. The goal of the game is to get to the end, and win a million dollars. That WILL involve making and breaking alliances, and going down with the ship, making the noble sacrifice, will only lose you the game. And if that's your choice, don't whine about it later, or sniff in your self-righteous pride. You lost. That's either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it. But truly good people don't go around talking about how good they are. Truly honest people don't need to defend their honestly unprompted.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

You're right about Colby. And he kept his alliance to the end. He and Tina made a pact at the beginning of the game, and they stayed true to it all the way through. (The editors didn't show that to us at all, which is what made that season as interesting as it was).

But he seems to be the exception that proves the rule. And neither he nor Tina was immune to the self-righteous malarky and accusations that come up in Tribal Council. Look at Jerri, who HATED Colby, and took out her venom on him at Tribal (and later again in All-Stars).

In the end, Vanuatu was one of my least favorite seasons (just above Marquesas and Thailand) Once again, this is not because the show has run its course, but mainly the casting choices. Burnett undoubtedly felt these people worked well together on paper, but to me the group dynamic was flatline early on.

The self-righteous indictments of the jury last night were unprecedented! I did not hear one jury member say "congratulations" to Twila or Chris in their speeches (Sarge managed to mutter a very weak, "Touche") Those two clearly masterminded and out-weaseled their way to the final two and deserve nothing but praise. I think this notion of an "upstanding" Survivor winner is a joke. The nature of the game, and probably the very thing that makes the show worth watching, is the cutthroat eliminations, deceptive personal alliances and claws-out fighting. Sorry guys, Survivor had it's "nice" star-- his name was Colby-- a sap supreme and poster boy for universal ridicule. His decision to take Tina with him to the final two spoke more to the power of female/mommy figure manipulation than any "integrity" on his part.

I think Chris, along with Boston Rob, Johnny Fairplay and Richard Hatch, has found a place among the best players in the show's history. Bravo!