Sign in to follow this  
Spoon

Lost

I'm bummed that it's on opposite Smallville. I'm taping one and watching t'other.

Mark   

Since the WB cancelled Angel, I thought Wednesday nights would be TV free and I'd catch up on my reading. Then ABC goes and screws up my plan by airing what looks like the best show of the new season. Dang!

BethR   

It's on tonight--Wednesday--right? Then I didn't miss it!

David Fury, formerly of Angel and Buffy is on the writing crew.

Edited by BethR

Clint M   

The early version of the pilot was leaked over the internet. The reviews? Nothing but praise. Most people think this is J.J. Abrams' best work since the first couple of seasons of Alias.

You can add another Whedonverse alumni, BethR. Daniel Dae Kim plays a role in the series.

Edited by Clint M

Spoon   

from zap2it.com:

"ABC's new drama "Lost" premiered to a surprisingly strong 11.6/19, dominating the 8 p.m. hour."

That is very exciting! It's hard to find quality shows that don't get cancelled after about 6 episodes. I'm glad to see this one will probably be around for a while

I think it would have profitted from a 2 hour premiere; just barely enough time to begin to identify a few of the survivors. Only a bare minimum of plot set up. But then Alias also took some time to develop. It will be interesting to see if Nielsons will stay up the next few weeks.

SZPT   

I was one of those who watched it last night. Not sure how long they can keep the storyline interesting, but I'm interested enough to find out.

I also enjoyed this. Very well produced ( I read $5 million was used just for the premiere). My one worry... the "thing" in the jungle. I hope they don't try to milk that for too long.

BethR   

I think it would have profitted from a 2 hour premiere; just barely enough time to begin to identify a few of the survivors.  Only a bare minimum of plot set up.  But then  Alias also took some time to develop.  It will be interesting to see if Nielsons will stay up the next few weeks.

I've been told that the first two episodes will be re-run on Oct. 2 (Sat.), starting at 8, for those who want to wait and see how a 2-hour premiere might look. wink.gif

Or if you missed the first episode, you can catch it then, if my informant is correct.

Mark   

I think it would have profitted from a 2 hour premiere; just barely enough time to begin to identify a few of the survivors.  Only a bare minimum of plot set up. 

One of my complaints, too. That, plus the fact that so much was revealed in the previews that there were no real surprises last night. Also wasn't crazy about the "perfect" Matthew Fox character. (He's a doctor! He's a pilot! He's a handsome doctor-pilot! He's mastered the art of driving fear from his mind in a mere FIVE SECONDS!!) But I'm intrigued enough to watch again.

One other complaint (I must be in a picky mood today) .... I really hope they try to make the cast of characters a bit more diverse. I mean, there were no elderly people on board who survived? In fact, no one over 30 except the guy sucking on an orange peel? No one, aside from the overweight guy with the funky hair, who doesn't look like an Abercrombie & Fitch model? No PROFESSOR AND MARY ANN?? I know they're going for a certain demographic, but I'd really like to see a more "real" cast of characters.

I know, I know, it's only the first episode, and there might be characters lurking in the forest we haven't met yet. I hope it doesn't turn out that Fox and the foxy chick who sewed him up are the centerpiece of the show every week.

On the upside, I loved Dominic Monaghan's character. How could you not? smile.gif

SZPT   

Also wasn't crazy about the "perfect" Matthew Fox character. (He's a doctor! He's a pilot! He's a handsome doctor-pilot! He's mastered the art of driving fear from his mind in a mere FIVE SECONDS!!)

I'm kinda guessing that his character flaw might be alcoholism.

As I am guessing that the character flaw for Dominic Monaghan's "Charlie" is substance abuse of some sort.

Also, I wonder as the series progresses if Jorge Garcia will be losing weight since his character would be doing such if stuck on a deserted island.

Ann D.   
On the upside, I loved Dominic Monaghan's character. How could you not? smile.gif

Heh. This was actually the only reason I tuned in last night, to satisfy some silly fangirly need. I was really expecting a primetime soap opera, similar to ER. And it may end up that way, though I hope the sci-fi aspect of the show is enough to keep it in check.

The one diva (who wouldn't eat the chocolate bar) is going to get on my nerves, though, really quick. I only saw five minutes of her, but it was enough.

This one may be worth watching each week.

Diane   

Caught most of this last night. Don't sweat it, mpfan, I wanted to see Merry, too! smile.gif

Also wasn't crazy about the "perfect" Matthew Fox character. (He's a doctor! He's a pilot! He's a handsome doctor-pilot! He's mastered the art of driving fear from his mind in a mere FIVE SECONDS!!)

Heh. Agreed

Spoon   

Did next week's preview show Kate in a bikini? Didn't take them very long to go there, did it?

Fox's character will have some serious issues. Perfect characters are not interesting and JJ knows that.

and, bikini? It was a bathing suit yes but very unrevealing.

Stop picking! smile.gif

i loved the first 10 minutes. very intense. and the funny bits were few but very fun. charlie trying to get jack to remember the song from his band was hilarious.

Ann D.   
I was hoping they'd run across an old, broken-down "Jurassic Park" sign.

Ha! That would have been great! laugh.gif

Diane   

Didn't see it for myself. Only heard about it. I stand corrected.

charlie trying to get jack to remember the song from his band was hilarious.

Now THAT was quite funny.

Stop picking! smile.gif

If my criticisms didn't make it clear, you should know that I am dedicated to shows of a much higher intellectual nature

Mark   

And how long did it take him to make a connection with Kate? Hmmm...Jack and Kate? Screenwriters, you are too close to season two of 24! There are a million other names; get original! wink.gif

Ha! Yeah, "Jack" is the new "black," isn't it? I guess it's one of those names that sounds masculine and is easy to yell across a beach or dark, foreboding forest ... "Jack? Jack, is that you? JAAAAAAAAAAA-CK!!!!" When I was a kid it seemed like every private eye on TV was named Mike. Now all the hero-hunks are "Jack".

Sorry, Spoon, I'll stop nitpicking now. tongue.gif

And I agree that Charlie singing his song was pretty darn funny.

I would expect that they're going to have to thin the ranks a bit in a hurry; 40 some people will just be too much. Hopefully the monster will choke on a chick bone when it's down to a managable number.

Yes, the Fox character is set up for alcoholism. One of the things I've heard of the show is that there are ongoing revelations about the characters. Has he lost his license? Why was he not cut out to be a pilot? Is he really this competent or did he stay at Holiday Inn Express the night before the flight?

SZPT   

From where I was standing it looked like bra and panties. Or maybe that's my assumption, thinking that they will try to maintain a sense of realism.

So how many Alias folk are on this trip? I noted two, the pilot (now free to go back to the CIA, and the guy who is such a pain in the butt in the CIA, who is just a silent bald guy so far on the island. Any others? Also, was Abrams also involved with Felicity? It seems to have many connections to Alias as well.

Mark   

Also, was Abrams also involved with Felicity?  It seems to have many connections to Alias as well.

Yup, Abrams created and produced Felicity. The guy who played the pilot in the Lost premiere was "Ben"'s roommate on Felicity. There were probably other connections I missed.

The silent bald guy (same one who appeared to be sucking on an orange peel when he smiled at Kate) -- he's Terry O'Quinn, a really good character actor. Wasn't aware he's on Alias, but he's listed as a regular in Lost. He's also done roles in The X-Files and its spinoff, Millenium. (And he was the original Stepfather in that slasher series.)

DanBuck   

spoilers1.gif (but only predictions, so maybe I'm wrong)

(by the way, I thought the show kicked butt, and a great cast! That Kate is a fine actress)

The monster: Good God, what could that poossibly be that wouldn't be a horribly tired cliche'. I don't know if you guys cauht it but there was a throw away line in the background "That sound was somewhat familiar." "Where are you from?" "The bronx." Ugh, if its a big monkey... I'll be pissed. Maybe it's Mark Burnett responding to a leak about Survivor Winners!

Charlie - Yup, SZPT definately pegged it. He's snorting.

The bald guy from Alias - The most interesting of all the characters to me. If I had to guess. I think he might have a connection to Kate we have yet to see. Maybe he's her dad.

The dog: Hmmmm. Another very interesting one for me. But no theories here yet.

While the monster bugs me, I like the way Abrams trips along the edges of Sci-Fi. Maybe the island is alive somehow! Now, that would not be AS cliche'.

DanBuck   

mild spoilers1.gif from TVtome.com

Stripped of everything, the 48 survivors scavenge what they can from the plane for their survival. Some panic. Some pin their hopes on rescue. A few find inner strength they never knew they had -- like Kate (Evangeline Lilly), who, with no medical training, suddenly finds herself suturing the doctor's wounds. Hurley (Jorge Garcia)

DanBuck   

spoilers1.gif From a producer, interviewed on Sci-Fi Wire

Highlight to read

"We are hearing and seeing very odd occurrences, like

a polar bear on the island. It may not come for a very long time, but certain information about the island will explain how things are possible. We'll try to root it in real science or real pseudo-science. There will be no mystical reason or an island of monsters. The island has been around for millennia, and many people have found themselves on it, and as far as we know, nobody has ever gotten off. There is also the possibility of others being on the island, they just haven't seen them yet. And we'll never know how big this island is. It could be enormous, but odd things will keep them from knowing the full length and breadth of it. It's an interesting little allegory. It will be very mysterious."

blink.gif

Real pseudo-science?

Edited by DanBuck