Sign in to follow this  
Spoon

Lost

Was anyone else irritated with the herky-jerky camera motion in the crashed cockpit? I know it's supposed to be suspenseful, but I was beginning to get a headache. I hope they scale that back a little.

Okay, so I was terrified.

Great job, JJ!

And why'd you have to kill off Weiss in the first episode??

I hope so. He's one of my favorite characters on Alias...

Casting and title spoilers1.gif only:

David Fury talks about the upcoming episodes of LOST he's written.

If the following is true, then I find it interesting how many studio "suits" are completely out of touch with their audiences. Maybe the Disney stockholders should ask for a completely house cleaning, and not just Eisner's removal.

Did Iger Try To Block 'Lost'?

Disney President and COO Bob Iger, who is CEO Michael Eisner's choice to succeed him, was "furious" with former ABC Entertainment Chairman Lloyd Braun for greenlighting the pilot for Lost, which has become the biggest new hit of the season, the New York Post's "Page Six" column reported today (Tuesday), citing an unnamed source. "He hated the show -- he thought it was awful and was really angry the pilot cost $12 million. He got Michael Eisner on his side and fired Lloyd. But now the show is the biggest success ABC has had in a long time, so who's lost now?" the Post's source said. A spokesman for Disney called the report "ridiculous."

By the way, wasn't Lloyd Braun the name of a character from Seinfeld... a rival of George, with a few loose screws?

By the way, wasn't Lloyd Braun the name of a character from Seinfeld... a rival of George, with a few loose screws?

HA! Yes! Remember when Lloyd and George were in that computer-selling competition, and they worked inside Frank's garage? I think that's the "serenity now" episode.

I disagree with the article calling it the biggest hit just yet. I'm inclined to wait until after the second part of the pilot and we really start getting into the backstories of the characters and the island itself. It could still take a ratings nosedive. If it has staying power, that's when I'll agree it's the biggest hit.

I think that's the "serenity now" episode.

Yep, Diane, that was the episode. I think he was in another episode where he and Kramer were running an old movie palace, and Lloyd became fixated on Elaine, leading to another one of his breakdowns.

Edit: As Beth notes below, there is a bit of a SPOILER in this link (when you get to the character profiles). Sorry I didn't post a warning sooner.

USA Today talks about the show and provides a quick profile of each character.

Edited by Diane

Good point, Beth. I noticed that, too. Guess I should have added a spoiler tag to my post. I'll go back and do that. Seriously, though, that's an easy enough way to explain that plot device, no? Seems too easy after all the mysterious build-up.

My hunch is that the island has some strange relationship with animal life, so perhaps the old dog won't be what he used to be.

spoilers1.gif

So it's not a dinosaur, which is the most obvious answer. What is it then? The producers have said nothing mystical, which rules out a dragon, I guess. King Kong? The recapper on TWOP says it's the Iron Giant smile.gif

I say something mechanical, big and mean. But NOT the Iron Giant! He's a good guy, like Superman!! smile.gif

I say something mechanical, big and mean. But NOT the Iron Giant! He's a good guy, like Superman!! smile.gif

Suuu-per-maaan.

OK, having watched the second installment of LOST tonight, I am definitely hooked big time.

I haven't been this 'wow'ed by a series in a good while.

OK, someone please IM me as to what happened in the last 5 minutes... I got a phone call I couldn't ignore, just as the transceiver was receiving a voice speaking French... I caught nothing after that, except the previews for next weeks episode. angry.gif

Got my answer... Thank You, SZPT biggrin.gif

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

OK, someone please IM me as to what happened in the last 5 minutes...  I got a phone call I couldn't ignore, just as the transceiver was receiving a voice speaking French...  I caught nothing after that, except the previews for next weeks episode.  angry.gif

I just sent you my best remembered re-cap.

OK, having watched the second installment of LOST tonight, I am definitely hooked big time.

Same here. Now I see why I was underwhelmed by the first episode, because it was actually shot as a two-hour pilot ... I wish ABC had aired the whole thing at once, because it definitely had the fear factor I was hoping for by the end of last night's episode.

Same here. Now I see why I was underwhelmed by the first episode, because it was actually shot as a two-hour pilot ... I wish ABC had aired the whole thing at once, because it definitely had the fear factor I was hoping for by the end of last night's episode.

I agree completely. This is much better than what I originally thought it would be.

Definitely on my "must-see" list.

Now I see why I was underwhelmed by the first episode, because it was actually shot as a two-hour pilot ... I wish ABC had aired the whole thing at once, because it definitely had the fear factor I was hoping for by the end of last night's episode.

Anyone who missed part 1 or part 2, or who wants to get an idea of how effective a 2-hr pilot might have been, can catch repeat of LOST eps. 1 & 2 on Saturday at 8-10 p.m. Eastern/Pacific time.

Yep, I agree, too. The big handcuff reveal last night? Excellent. I'm happy that we're getting to know more about these folks; last night's episode seemed more like ensemble work instead of a star vehicle for the good doctor. Next week's preview looked very good.

But the big moral of the story? Pipeweed: The Gateway Drug.

(sorry!)

The big question I had after episode 2 ( spoilers1.gif for those who are going to be watching the 2 hour version):

The looping message in French. The real question for me isn't is there someone else there, but what kind of power supply is running the transciever sending out the message all these years?

spoilers1.gif

My biggest question is this... when Jack and the others return from the cockpit, they're asked if anyone was alive. He says "no", and Charlie and Kate give each other a conspiratorial look. But later, Boone asks if the polar bear was what killed the pilot. The others don't even blink an eye. Did I miss something? When did they find out, or was that an editing error?

Edited by mpfan

spoilers1.gif

My biggest question is this... when Jack and the others return from the cockpit, they're asked if anyone was alive.  He says "no",  and Charlie and Kate give each other a conspiratorial look.  But later, Boone asks if the polar bear was what killed the pilot.  The others don't even blink an eye.  Did I miss something?  When did they find out, or was that an editing error?

Oooh, good catch! I didn't even notice that till you mentioned it. Bad editing or bad writing. There may have been a scene cut where they expounded on what "alive" meant to them at the time, or it may have been assumed that the others would naturally be told the details at some point. But that isn't how the audience likes it done, so good catch.

Yeah I noticed that too. And although it was a jerky editing problem. I was glad to be spared the telling of the tale. I saw it happen the first time.