Sign in to follow this  
Spoon

Lost

the flashbacks don't interest me unless they're somehow tied into the island.

Ah, but how do you know that ALL the flashbacks aren't somehow connected to the island? Or at least to the reasons that they've ended up on the island? unsure.gif

I'm sure they probably are, but I'd like to see evidence of it in the episode itself. Anything to connect the characters to the island; I don't think the show has done that enough. But again, most of my problems with the show are probably nothing more than personal taste. smile.gif

Subtlety is underrated

Great show this week! Wow. Any episode that features Locke will always be one of the best. You can tell they are starting to really build up to the season finale.

Edited by SZPT

I think Locke is represented as almost unqualified good. Has he done anything not Good? (Although I think he has told a white lie here or there.)

What do about last week (Mar. 25)? White lie?

"Boone fell off a cliff"]

I can see why he might have felt justified in not telling the whole truth.

Did what Locke's backstory/flashback revealed change anyone's view of him and his role on the island of mysteriousness?

Notice me not saying much about this week's ep. Except for a brief flash of interest in the guest-appearance of Julie Bowen (DH and I both having been Ed fans), I wasn't as enthralled as I expected. We kept saying things like "You can't do that!"--evidently we were having trouble suspending our disbelief, which is usually not a problem for me. Huh!

Oh well, looking forward to next time anyway!

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Agreed! I wouldn't know where to start!

Agreed!  I wouldn't know where to start!

Totally agree--both my wife and I checked our watches when Kate went down the hatch and the light turned on. We were worried that an hour had flown by and we'd see the end credits pop up next, leaving us stranded for another week. As it was--yikes, what a way to start the season. This episode would have been a ringer for last year's cliffhanger.

I'm hooked again!

My only real quibble--Charley's sudden burst of skepticism about the "others". What a bad choice for his character--has he forgotten that he's the one that got strung up last season? Or are Rosseau and Ethan the only "others" he's worried about.

I watched my first episode of this show last night. I'd like to catch up with the first season, or at least try to do so, but Netflix doesn't carry it, which seems an odd business choice. Does anyone know if some sort of reverse-window has been applied?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side note: Putting 'Isolated' on right after it was a shrewd maneuver, but a bit like switching from Dom Perignon to stale Brut.

Brut, the aftershave.

[iNSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Thanks, Dan. I'm trying to figure out why it isn't advertised prominently, at least on my iteration of the site. I couldn't find it with a search.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An aspiring screenwriter friend was raving this spring about "Lost," so this weekend I decided to give it a look. Fun! I'm six episodes into the first season.

One question: why is episode six called "The House Of The Rising Sun"? It's the one where

"Walt and the others are shocked when Michael is brutally beaten, but only the non-English-speaking Jin and Sun know the truth behind the attack. Meanwhile Kate, Jack, Sawyer and Sayid argue about where the survivors should camp -- on the beach, where they're more likely to be seen, or in a remote inland valley where fresh water abounds; and Locke discovers Charlie's secret."

Best reversal so far:

Kate is taking money from a hidden jar in the middle of the night. We assume she's stealing the money: it's actually money she's earned, that she's hiding so it

won't get stolen. We mistrust her, when what we're actually seeing is her own inability to trust.

Nifty.

I've only read as far in this thread as my viewing has taken me, so I don't know if you've gone further into this, but the actress playing Kate is (or was) a member of the church my friend goes to.

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

I've only read as far in this thread as my viewing has taken me, so I don't know if you've gone further into this, but the actress playing Kate is (or was) a member of the church my friend goes to.

Don't think that Lily's faith has been discussed yet, but the pre-Bono Rolling Stone has her as its cover story. Sorry no link, but she talked a bit about her faith in the article. To me, and not wanting to sound judgmental, the article presented her faith as purely internal personal matter that had little impact on her actions or attitudes. Gosh, that's hard to describe in a non-judging kind of way. It sounds both too blunt and yet not blunt enough...

Heh, the Bono piece and the Lily piece makes an interesting contrast of two public Christians.

Edited by Buckeye Jones

...the article presented her faith as purely internal personal matter that had little impact on her actions or attitudes.... Gosh, that's hard to describe in a non-judging kind of way.... Heh, the Bono piece and the Lily piece makes an interesting contrast of two public Christians.

Checked out the Rolling Stone article, and I'm not sure what you mean about her faith having little impact on her actions or attitudes. She spent last summer in Rwanda with her missionary friend, reading her Bible, and (this is from other articles, not the RS piece) while she was a student at UBC she founded an organization to actively assist impoverished countries. To me, it sounds like her faith is very definitely having an impact on her actions - and that she's a lot more like Bono than she is unlike him, with the same sort of mix of social activism and unenculturated Christianity (by which I mean the potty mouth).

And if it's peeing in the garbage can that bothers you... I have a friend who's something of a spiritual hero for me. It's been about 20 years now that he's worked in really dangerous parts of Liberia and Cote d'Ivoire, absolutely putting his life on the line for Christ. An absolute wildman: I could tell you stories. And frankly, peeing in a garbage can sounds like just the kind of thing David might do: it's why the Africans love him so, it's part of why he can chase off machine-gun wielding death-squads when he's wearing nothing but his underwear. It's why he's in Africa and I'm in suburbia.

Sometimes I think there are the nice tidy careful folks who teach Sunday school, and the wild unconventional risk-takers who change the world. I'm far too much the former: Bono, David, and (it sounds to me like maybe) Evangeline are the latter. And I say, God bless and preserve 'em!

Edited by Ron

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

Sometimes I think there are the nice tidy careful folks who teach Sunday school, and the wild unconventional risk-takers who change the world. I'm far too much the former: Bono, David, and (it sounds to me like maybe) Evangeline are the latter. And I say, God bless and preserve 'em!

Absolutely--I mean, who wouldn't agree with that (though I don't put too much in to that dichotomy)? My point, at least my gut, was solely gained from the RS article (thanks for the link, BTW), in which nothing about Lily's faith, other than its internalized impact on helping her deal with newfound fame, was described.

There's a bigger conversation to be had here than the thread (or my lunch break) allows, vis a vis public vs private faith, and the reaction of others and so on. But perhaps Alan makes the best point of all, a flawed article through and through.

Darren Aronofsky is going to direct an episode sometime next year, once he's finished with The Fountain.

Personally, this has me very giddy with the possibilities...

Edited by opus

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Nicely done close-reading of last week's episode, "When the Crying Stops", with interesting follow-up comments.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

I may be the quickest bandwagon jumper-offer, as I only got to this show a month or two ago, but I'm already tired of it.

We're getting close to dropping the show. Ali calls Eko the Master of Knowing Stares. I like when he takes ten seconds to say "Don't mistake fate for coincidence" to Locke.

Uh. He wasn't. He was mistaking coincidence for fate.

And Kate's mounting body count is hilarious. Her faux dad knew she was a Natural Born Killer at the age of 4-5? That's awesome.

One question: why is episode six called "The House Of The Rising Sun"?

I suspect it has something to do with a pun on the name of the character "Sun"?

FWIW,

Damaris Trust/Culture Watch study guide for LOST. Especially interesting are the quotes from a couple of British reviews of season 1. For example:

Mark Lawson writes in The Guardian:

Lost . . . is a fantasy in which Americans (and, by extension, America) survive a terrible aeroplane incident but the society that results is more savage, suspicious and selfish than what existed before. (media.guardian.co.uk)

Didja notice he said "Shadow of the Valley of Death"? I wonder if that was intentional?

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Didja notice he said "Shadow of the Valley of Death"? I wonder if that was intentional?

I was wondering why it didn't sound right when I first heard it. But I kept going as the plot carried on.

:spoilers:

I didn't realize a person can just declare themselves a priest like that. Huh.

Nor did I realize that network television was still capable of portraying a priest without revealing that he's secretly a pervert.

I'm going to be very interested to see if they explain how a black cloud can snatch pilots out of cockpits and knock trees down. Perhaps those electrical charges can do cause that kind of trouble, but it seems like a stretch.

When Eco faced down the cloud, it reminded me of that shot in The Abyss when the alien first looks at Mary Elizabeth Mastrontonio. I was afraid the cloud would morph into a face, but thank goodness, it didn't.

Good ending. At least Charlie seems to have rediscovered that he's a character with a storyline.

But next week? No, no, no... not Michael heading off on his own again. Come on. I'm really, really rooting for Michael to get voted off the island, or eaten, or shot, or something. WHY, GOD OF LOST? WHY DID YOU TAKE SHANNON AND NOT MICHAEL?

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Funkytown."    

You know, I seem to remember him quoting Psalm 23 before in the same incorrect way, so maybe it is intentional...?

Or, actually, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe they just showed it in the teaser. Oops.

I guess in the end the "intentionality" comes down to whether you're a Lostee who thinks the producers know what they're doing, or a Lostee who thinks they're just making it up as they go (and misquoting scripture along the way!). :)

I guess in the end the "intentionality" comes down to whether you're a Lostee who thinks the producers know what they're doing, or a Lostee who thinks they're just making it up as they go (and misquoting scripture along the way!). :)

They know. They so know.