Sign in to follow this  

Red Sox WIN the WORLD SERIES

Congratulations to the Red Sox for winning the World Series. Too bad the Cardinals couldn't have made it a more exciting series. out_cold.gif

But we'll all be spared by whoever would have been drug out to sing God Bless America in Game 5. Amy Grant to Scott Stapp was not an encouraging progression.

But we'll all be spared by whoever would have been drug out to sing God Bless America in Game 5. Amy Grant to Scott Stapp was not an encouraging progression.

Nobody beats Ronan Tynan at Yankee Stadium. There's a class act.

Edited by mrmando

If I could vomit out my ear, I would be doing it right now.

I changed the channel the moment he sang the first few words. It was the National Anthem equivalent of the Cardinals' performance in this series.

*sniff*

Congratulations Boston. Your team deserved to win.

Excuse me while I mourn....

If I could vomit out my ear, I would be doing it right now.

I changed the channel the moment he sang the first few words. It was the National Anthem equivalent of the Cardinals' performance in this series.

biggrin.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Actually, Stapp provided a little more drama than the Cards. For a minute I thought he was their secret weapon, y'know, bust the Sox eardrums so they lose their equilibrium on the field. The Cards obviously forgot to wear their anti-Stapp ear plugs, and instead reversed the curse onto themselves.

Well, it was a boring-as-heck series, but the lifelong New Englander in me doesn't really care! Maybe that's the only way the Sox CAN win a series, with a sweep ... otherwise they start muffing things up and 'the curse' catches up to them.

Two and a half weeks ago, I wrote this on my buddy Jimmy's blog:

Side note for Sox fans:
Although I've never really been much of a sports fan at all, I was born and bred in the shadow of NYC, so I should mention that when I do follow baseball at all, I generally tend to root more for the Mets than the Yankees. I've never really been into the vindictive glee that many New Yorkers take in the long, sad history of the Curse of the Babe. It'd be a'ight with me if y'all won a World Series sometime.

Little did I know! biggrin.gif

Of course, when I say I've never been much of a sports fan, I mean I'm REALLY not a fan. I did watch the 2000 NY Subway Series, and in 1993 I was living in Philadelphia and listened mournfully via radio as the Phillies lost to Toronto.

The first time I remember caring at all about baseball was in 1986 when the Mets were playing the Sox. My younger brother Matthew (Aaron Tripp's friend, Alan), who took more after my father than I in caring about sports, was and is a rabid Yankees fan, and I have it in my head that he hated the Mets SO much that he was actually rooting for Boston, which looking back makes no sense because if you are a Yankees fan then you're supposed to take great glee, as indeed I have known him to do, in the now-shattered Curse of the Bambino, which means you NEVER want the Sox to win. In any case, just to be contrary to him, I rooted for the Mets, who of course won.

Ever since they I've tended to root, at my own very, very low level, more for the Mets than the Yankees. I'm not like those fans who pick one NY team and hate the other -- by default, I'll root for the Yankees against a non-NY team -- but I have to be contrary to my brother, so I'm a Mets fan first.

And so I never took the glee my brother did in the Curse. Once Boston beat the Yankees, I'm sure my brother was rooting for St. Louis... but I wasn't.

Anyway, I never saw a curse so persuasively shattered as that. Sox fans could hardly have scripted it better if they'd been given the chance. Congratulations Boston! My buddy Peter Kreeft is high as a kite on the campus of Boston College today I'm sure.

I was hoping to see Boston return back to their park to bury the curse once and for all, but alas poor Horatio, it t'was not to be.

A friend of mine that was a rabid Cardinals fan said that if it had been any other team that had beat them this year, he would have been angrier. But he was at the very least glad to see a team that deserved to play and win the World Series. (Although he was mad that the Cardinals didn't show up to play and win.)

Congrats to the Sox!

(BTW Boston: DON'T TEAR UP YOUR CITY IN CELEBRATION! Dah!)

I was hoping to see Boston return back to their park to bury the curse once and for all, but alas poor Horatio, it t'was not to be.

A friend of mine that was a rabid Cardinals fan said that if it had been any other team that had beat them this year, he would have been angrier.  But he was at the very least glad to see a team that deserved to play and win the World Series. (Although he was mad that the Cardinals didn't show up to play and win.)

Congrats to the Sox!

(BTW Boston: DON'T TEAR UP YOUR CITY IN CELEBRATION! Dah!)

I agree whole-heartedly with your friend. Back when the Cards were hot I was predicting a Cardinals/Yankees series with the Yankees winning. So I was thrilled when the Sox won the ALCS.

I'm also disappointed that the series wasn't more exciting--heavens knows it should have been, after both the ALCS and the NLCS. But alas, it was not to be. I do wish St. Louis had put up more of a fight, and I'm not really sure what happened. I want to blame the pitching, but the offense didn't have anything either. It's as though their performance the first of the season came around full circle to bite them in the rear.

I happened to have the TV on mute for the whole game, so I missed Stapp. Apparently that's a good thing. ermm.gif

I wonder how many sermons in New England this week will come from the First Lection: Hab. 1:1-4, 2:1-4. I figure it could be used to celebrate the fulfillment of hope or (if they had lost) the encouragement to maintain hope. In either event, I think "The righteous shall live by their faithfulness" (NRSV - footnote) resonnates pretty well.

Edited by Darrel Manson

I'm also disappointed that the series wasn't more exciting--heavens knows it should have been, after both the ALCS and the NLCS.  But alas, it was not to be.  I do wish St. Louis had put up more of a fight, and I'm not really sure what happened.  I want to blame the pitching, but the offense didn't have anything either.  It's as though their performance the first of the season came around full circle to bite them in the rear.

Yes, it seems like the Cardinals gave everything they had during the NLCS, and had nothing left for the World Series.

I happened to have the TV on mute for the whole game, so I missed Stapp.  Apparently that's a good thing.  ermm.gif

It could have been worse, it could have been Ashlee Simpson. laugh.gif