Sign in to follow this  
Clint M

Spider-Man 3

utzworld   

Realistically, there's room enough for at least 2 more Spideys. By Part 5, though, the series would have definitely Jumped The Shark and Tobey would have grown tired of the Spidey suit.

I kinda understand the trilogy logic in light of LOTR...but I don't think the story should stop at #3.

Raimi should film, like, three of them at once and not tell anyone. Then he could sorta just let 'em, you know, slip out accidentally over the next decade or so...

SDG   

No way do they stop after the next one. They might say that now to drum up interest in the third one, but it's one thing to have a definitive end to the story, and another to say "And now we won't do anything else."

Shantih   

Well the reason this has come about is that both Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst have said they want to jump ship after the third film. Which may or may not turn out to be true (depends how much money gets thrown at them, really) but it looks like Sony are taking that seriously and want to create something cohesive rather than be forced into recasting. Which I think, personally, is very canny on their part. But should number three prove to be a hit I'm sure we'll see the negotiations begin.

They might say that now to drum up interest in the third one

Yes, I can forsee them playing up the "either Peter Parker or Mary Jane might *actually* die!" angle all the way through the publicity. And if that means we get some real darkness into this franchise rather than just teen angst, all the better I say.

Phil.

Clint M   

...a (yet) unnamed villain played by Thomas Haden Church.

Older news:

This is the last film in the Spider-Man series, according to producer Laura Ziskin. Raimi, Maguire, and Dunst will have completed their 3-picture deal after this film.

It is unknown if the franchise will continue with a fourth film. If it does, it looks like Mary Jane and Peter Parker/Spider-Man would be recast.

Edited by Clint M

SZPT   
...an unnamed (yet) villain played by Thomas Haden Church.

Wow, it's amazing how an actor can seemingly fade into oblivion, land a role in a critically acclaimed indie, and thus resurrect their career.

Jeff   

Interesting news...I bet THC is going to play the Lizard. It would only make sense for Lizard to be the next villain. Other possibilities would be the Sandman or Mysterio.

I read on AICN that Chloe Sevigny (from Brown Bunny) told reporters that she has signed on to a play a buxom, blonde character. If the story is true, it must mean that shes going to play Black Cat. Looks like theres going to be two villains this time out, three if you include Harry Osborne (I'm convinced he's going to become the Goblin one of these days).

I'm not up on my Spiderman lore, but my wife's brother mentioned that there was a Spiderman villain who used to be a hero astronaut and then, because of something that happened in space that no one knew about, he mutated and became an enemy. Does this sound familiar to anyone? If it's true it could be Mary Jane's former fiancee.

Well... sort of. To the best of my recollection, John Jameson came back from space with an alien symbiont, which became Spidey's Black Costume, which became Venom. But I could be wrong. Actually, now that I think about it, didn't the Black Costume come from the Beyonder??

opus   
Well... sort of. To the best of my recollection, John Jameson came back from space with an alien symbiont, which became Spidey's Black Costume, which became Venom. But I could be wrong. Actually, now that I think about it, didn't the Black Costume come from the Beyonder??

Yeah, Spiderman got his black costume (which was, in fact, an alien symbiont) during that whole "Secret Wars" thing. However, the alien symbiont soon grew too powerful, and so Spiderman fought it, at which point it merged with Eddie Brock to form Venom.

Croaker   
Interesting news...I bet THC is going to play the Lizard. It would only make sense for Lizard to be the next villain. Other possibilities would be the Sandman or Mysterio.

Well, Spider Man 2 already has Dylan Baker playing Dr. Curt Connors who becomes the Lizard. I suppose they could recast, but I doubt it. I think THC will play the Sandman. He was always my favorite Spidey villian.

Anders   

I can't believe that no one has suggested that THC is playing Eddie Brock AKA Venom!

As someone who has followed the Spider-man comics for ages, Venom is the most significant Spidey villian that has yet to appear in the films. And if the reports are correct, and this is the last film with Raimi and Tobey Maguire, I cannot see them doing one of the less "significant" villians like Sandman.

Anders prediction: Thomas Hadyn Church is Eddie Brock.

Oh, and Chloe Sevigny is AUDITIONING for Spider-man 3. There is no guarentee she'll get the part. And could NOT see her as Felicia Hardy. Sorry.

Clint M   
I can't believe that no one has suggested that THC is playing Eddie Brock AKA Venom!

As someone who has followed the Spider-man comics for ages, Venom is the most significant Spidey villian that has yet to appear in the films. And if the reports are correct, and this is the last film with Raimi and Tobey Maguire, I cannot see them doing one of the less "significant" villians like Sandman.

Anders prediction: Thomas Hadyn Church is Eddie Brock.

Oh, and Chloe Sevigny is AUDITIONING for Spider-man 3. There is no guarentee she'll get the part. And could NOT see her as Felicia Hardy. Sorry.

Yep. I think a younger actress will eventually get the part. Plus it doesn't seem like a typical role Sevigny would take - unless Raimi has written an incredible script for this final movie.

Anders   

I was just thinking that Sandman would be alright, but then I have a bad feeling that it will resurrect images of Bortz's favourite director's film, The Mummy.

I'm still hoping they go with Venom.

Jeff   
can't believe that no one has suggested that THC is playing Eddie Brock AKA Venom!

As someone who has followed the Spider-man comics for ages, Venom is the most significant Spidey villian that has yet to appear in the films.

Well, it would make sense that a high-profile villain like Venom would make an appearance in these movies eventually, except for the fact that Sam Raimi has an avowed dislike of the character. He has always said that he doesn't want to use Venom at all, so unless Sony is really pushing Raimi to use him, I tend to doubt that we'll see that character. Unless of course Venom gets his own movie, which is a distinct possibility these days.

I think a younger actress will eventually get the part

Hopefully it will be Lindsay Lohan. She'd be perfect for it, I think.

Well, Spider Man 2 already has Dylan Baker playing Dr. Curt Connors who becomes the Lizard. I suppose they could recast, but I doubt it.

Did Baker sign on for the third one? I just don't remember hearing whether he has or not.

Croaker   

I don't know if Dylan Baker has signed yet, but I can't imagine Rami would have had the character of Connors in Spiderman 2 if he didn't intend to use him in 3. I imagine Baker was brought on to S2 with the understanding that he would have a larger role in S3.

Miki   

Having seen both Spiderman I and Spiderman II and enjoyed them immensely, I ask the following question: Can't well enough be left alone?? Enough is enough, in my book. I predict that Spiderman III will be a disaster, if it goes through. Just my two cents.

Jeff   
Having seen both Spiderman I and Spiderman II and enjoyed them immensely, I ask the following question: Can't well enough be left alone?? Enough is enough, in my book. I predict that Spiderman III will be a disaster, if it goes through. Just my two cents.

I must respectfully disagree. There really isn't anything to suggest that this film won't be on par with the last; I know, I know, of course every movie does have the potential to be awful. But since the director and star have not changed, and obviously they know from experience what the fans like, I don't see why this one should be written off. Now, if it were Chronicles of Riddick II or Van Helsing II, maybe. But Spidey has a good track record so far, and I think it'll be a good movie. smile.gif

Croaker   

I think your reticence regarding another sequel is justified in light of how many other franchise sequels fall so far short of the originals.

Having said that, however, I thought S2 was far superior in every way to S1.

Having said that I do wonder where they can go with a third movie. There are only two real through lines that connect the stories so far, those being: Harry's hatred of Peter/Spiderman for killing his Father causing him to take up his Father's mantle as Green Goblin, and Peter's relationship with Mary Jane.

Peter and Mary Jane's relationship was efectivley resolved in S2, so not sure how many options they have left there. Seems to me that having their relationship break off in any way would feel contrived.

Also I don't really feel the pathos that should be there between Harry, and Peter. The movie says they are best friends, but I don't think that has been very well represented in script or performance. I don't like Harry, and can't understand why Peter or Mary Jane do. The promise at the end of S2 is that Harry will become the Green Goblin and take revenge on Spiderman. This should be compelling to me, but it just isn't.

Jeff   
Peter and Mary Jane's relationship was efectivley resolved in S2, so not sure how many options they have left there. Seems to me that having their relationship break off in any way would feel contrived.

Very true. It would be lame if there is any more doubting of/angst about whether or not these two stay together. Obviously they are meant to be, and we all know that by now. It's time to move on. What'll probably happen in Spider-Man 3 is we'll see Mary Jane somehow threatened by the villains because Spider-Man's true identity has become known. It's been hinted at in the first two movies, so I bet it'll actually come to pass in the next one.

I don't like Harry, and can't understand why Peter or Mary Jane do

Also very true. One of my quibbles with the first two movies (which were otherwise really awesome) was that Harry comes off as an aggravating twerp. I think we're supposed to kind of like him, though.

Wouldn't it be cool if some day Marvel could get Sony and Fox to agree on co-producing a Daredevil vs. Spider-Man movie? It's been my geek dream ever since this whole comic-book film revival has started. biggrin.gif Of course, the likelihood of it happening is not very good at all.

Croaker   
Wouldn't it be cool if some day Marvel could get Sony and Fox to agree on co-producing a Daredevil vs. Spider-Man movie?

Eh. I like the Daredevil character, but the movie didn't do much for me. First I didn't like Afleck as Matt Murdock. I like Afleck, but I just didn't like his take on the character. Not dark enough. Also I never did like the Hero vs. Hero comics very much. The only one that really worked for me was the Batman vs Superman in Dark Knight Returns. That was cool. Otherwise the premise of two good guys fighting each other because of a misunderstanding where one thinks the other is a bad guy never worked for me. It usually seemed like the writer couldn't tell any kind of a story because they weren't allowed to come down on one side or the other as to who was better. I guess that's why I like the Batman/Superman fight because Batman Kicked Superman's butt!!!

Jeff   

Well, I didn't really like Affleck in the part either, but I was hypothesizing under the assumption that DD would be recast. biggrin.gif I guess that the good guy versus good guy thing can be kind of redundant in some cases, but if it were done by a good creative team I'm pretty sure I'd be there opening night, ready to throw away eight bucks on it for better or worse.

You are correct that the Batman versus Superman fight was well-done. I didn't actually like The Dark Knight Returns much at all, but that aspect of it was cool, particularly because Superman is supposedly all-powerful but he actually lost. And he lost to a guy with mere gadgets and no superpowers, no less.

Edited by Mister Jeff

Miki   

You've both made some very interesting points, Croaker and Mr. Jeff. Thanks.

Nonetheless, I find myself having deep reservations about how a third sequel-Spiderman 3, will turn out, and go over.

Croaker--I agree that Spiderman II was far better than Spiderman I.